Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying not to conceive...

Options
  • 05-06-2009 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi all

I'm probably the total antithesis of most folks who hang out on this section of Boards.

Hubby and I are actively trying *not* to conceive.

I'm mid-30's, on anti-thyroid meds and blood pressure meds.
    I'm on an HSE waiting list for surgery for a total thyroidectomy.
    My current thyroid meds are *not* good for pregnancy, and is known to cause foetal abnormalities (carbimazole).
    And so, we're not planning any family planning until after the surgery, when my meds should change to a more pregnancy friendly drug...assuming its not too late then, I'm aware of my age!

I'm not on the pill as I'm high risk for blood clots.
    I haven't taken the pill in nearly 10 years.

We rely on good old fashioned condoms.

My cycles can be a little haywire, do to a combination of my stupid thyroid, and my finnicky anti-thyroid meds. But on average my cycles are around 24 days. Shortest in the last 7 months was 16 days, and longest was 31 days.

However....taking the first day of my period as Day 1, my current cycle is going on 39 days and counting....
    Been carrying emergency tampons around with me wherever I go, just in case, for the last two weeks, but Aunt Flo seems to have gone on holiday...

Would you be starting to worry (or celebrate in most folks cases I presume) or will I just keep my head down and hope that Aunt Flo arrives soon?

I next see my doc for routine blood tests on 15th June...and obviously if Aunt Flo is still absent I'll ask her to test me. But in the meantime I really, truly have no spare cash for buying a pregnancy test...so I guess there's nothing I can do but fret about it all, which obviously won't help.

Don't get me wrong....we both desperately want children, and would be delighted to discover that I was pregnant, albeit unplanned....but my distress is over the medication I'm on, and how early it may or may not start damaging the foetal development. So if I am pregnant, then I need to get my medication changed ASAP I assume!

I know that no-one here can offer me any medical advice, so I don't really know what kind of replies I'm looking to receive....but just getting this down in words has helped me immensely.

Hubby is just kind of "what will be will be"...but I'm terrified of the potential implications of being pregnant, with regard to my current health status.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

mmm well are you showing any other symptoms? Tiredness, sore boobs etc? I was exhausted within 3 weeks of conception in my pregancy..Is there no way you could even visit your practice nurse and pay them when you have the money, at least your mind would be at ease one way or another..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why not look at taking extra barrier precautions.
    Talk to your dr about getting fitted for a diaphram.

Advertisement