Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to pass emmisions test in N.C.T.?

• 05-06-2009 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37 owlite700

V.W. golf 1.4 petrol 60.000 miles has failed four consecutive tests due to emmisions. Air filter changed, Carb changed ,exhaust sensor changed, even tried mixing kero with the fuel to try to cheat the test equipment.
    :mad: Getting very vexed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

This has been done a couple of times recently, best advice seems to be to bring it to a garage with an exhaust gas analyzer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

and also, what did it fail on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Stick your licence plates and discs on another golf that will pass. Not sure this is really recommended though. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

Drive the ****e outta it on the way to the test..works every time..

Like 3 gear at 60mph for about 3 miles should do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

ji wrote: »
    Drive the ****e outta it on the way to the test..works every time..

Like 3 gear at 60mph for about 3 miles should do..

+1

Get the cat red hot before you send it in for the NCT, I've seen the dirtiest cars get through by doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

owlite700 wrote: »
    Carb changed

Who changed the Carb for you?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Carb? How old is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

V.W. golf 1.4 petrol 60.000 miles has failed four consecutive tests due to emmisions. Air filter changed, Carb changed ,exhaust sensor changed, even tried mixing kero with the fuel to try to cheat the test equipment.

Must be a very old car if it needed a carb. Leave it in a low gear and drive it hard. Try one of the STP or redex fuel treatments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

groupb wrote: »
    Must be a very old car if it needed a carb. Leave it in a low gear and drive it hard. Try one of the STP or redex fuel treatments.

Redex in the carb itself, it i'l splutter and smoke for a while, but it will clean the carb. Then drive the shyte out of it and blow all the crap out of the engine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 poxx

Maby you should consider getting the car looked at by someone that knows something about cars!;)

• Advertisement

poxx wrote: »
    Maby you should consider getting the car looked at by someone that knows something about cars!;)

exactly. Wasting money on fuel additives that dont work and 'driving the ****e' outta it also are a waste of time. Get the car ecu scanned for faults, emmissions checked on a gas analyser.That will give you a good idea as to whats wrong.These give lots of cat problems and temp sensor probs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 owlite700

The car is 2000.My local garage had it on an analyser and have tried replacing the temp sensor as well.All to no avail.Thats why I posted this thread to see if anyone had any other ideas.
    The mechanic reckons its the piston rings are going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Disky

Ever consider the fact that they want you to buy a new car??

These emission tests will get so tough that most cars will not past. They want you either off the road or in something electric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

BS. They are set to manufacturers specifications.

Your car does not have a Carb

Do not switch reg plates, one extra dodgy motor on the roads. And they check your VIN also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

twas a joke a about the numberplates. I would hope people would not take that seriously.

The mechanic reckons its the piston rings are going.
    That thought had crossed my mind too, that engine is known to be quite soft.

4 fails is not funny. You need to find a better garage. Any decent mechanic should be able to sort this out fairly easily.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Any decent mechanic should be able to sort this out fairly easily.
    As long as it's not due to bore wear..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,469 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Those engines are crap I hear so yes maybe its just f*cked.

Anan1 wrote: »
    As long as it's not due to bore wear..

It would be sorted out fairly easily, as mechanic would have diagnosed by now that it needed a new engine. 4 fails for the same problem is taking the wiz...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Try this stuff, I've used it before and it worked

http://www.dipetane.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 owlite700

I think it is bore wear or rings as there is a bit of blowback into the air intake.Engine runs fine though.We have to go for a full retest now as the time since the first test is nearly a month.I would hate to have to replace an engine that runs fine over a bit of blowback.Im going to disconnect the blow back pipe ,and redirect it for the next test.And i will give the above stuff a try.the test isnt for 3 weeks, I will post the results asap.If that doesnt work there will be smoke alright!!! thanks for all the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 poxx

What are the readings that it is failing on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

What were your readings that it failed on, I had a 99 1.4 golf this week for the same problem, a fair bit of blow back from the engine as well, the nct readings were,
    co = 1.08 vol% above 0.3= fail
    hc = 476ppm LIMIT= above 200ppm = fail
    lamba = 1.083 between 0.97and 1.03

I now have the following readings after doin some work on it

co = 0.20
    hc = 100
    lamba =1.026

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Hey I have a 1.4 mk4 golf that failed the nct twice on emmisions. Got a new breather box (oil separator) It was full of crap in it and a 2nd hand lamba sensor from a audi and it flew through it.

Advertisement