Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WSOP 2009 thread [Spoilers only in here please]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doke

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well with no Irish left I'm gonna shout for this lad now. I like all them hit squad lads, sunny, praz and chaz et al.

Was just telling some of the lads in Vegas that Akenhead is probably the best player I've ever sat at a table with.

Neil Channing was telling us that Akenhead pretty much plays Steps on Stars exclusively these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭maloney333

Eastgate is not getting enough coverage, some run great defence so far, he was down 2 8bb at one point!
    I really like to see Akenhead or Adam Latimer go really deep, need somone to cheer for!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

Is there any streams where I can watch this live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

lol @ todays exit/double up hands so far.

AK V QQ
    AK V QQ
    AK V AQ
    AK V AA
    AK V AA.
    AK V AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,529 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just as I found out that there are two of the hit squad still in there, this happened. The other one is Karl Marenholz
    Akenhead Cut in Half

A hand between James Akenhead and Steven Begleiter started off typically enough. Action folded to Akenhead in the small blind and he put in a standard raise. Begleiter called to a flop of 9c.gif8c.gifqh.gif.

With an ESPN camera crew materializing on cue, there was plenty of action to record. Akenhead checked to Begleiter, who bet 85,000 before Akenhead check-raised to 190,000. Begleiter was undeterred as he put in a three-bet to 380,000. Akenhead took his time considering that bet before electing to call.

The turn was a seeming blank, the 3s.gif. Akenhead, sipping coffee from a tall disposable cup, checked. Beglieter made a huge bet of 850,000. Akenhead continued sipping his coffee, then cut out the 850,000 chips from his stack. He didn't immediately put them in the middle. A second camera crew came to the table before Akenhead silently slid the chips forward.

The river fell 7s.gif. Akenhead checked.

"Two pair," said Begleiter as he checked behind. He showed down 9d.gif7c.gif, having rivered his second pair. Akenhead's eyes bugged out before he tilted his head back and stared at the ceiling in frustration. He mucked his hand and fell to 1.13 million. Begleiter is now up to about 3.8 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭pgodkin

Now Featuring...
    As we expected, the two featured tables have been rotated following the break, and we have eighteen new players under the bright lights:

Main Featured Table
    Seat 1: Thai Tran
    Seat 2: Billy Kopp
    Seat 3: Dennis Phillips 1.4m
    Seat 4: Nasr El Nasr
    Seat 5: J.C. Tran
    Seat 6: Joe Hachem 670000
    Seat 7: Peter Eastgate 480000
    Seat 8: Edward Teems
    Seat 9: Frank Rusnak

Dennis Phillips still in and Hachem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭dougee19

was in that blackbeltpoker thing with james aikenhead and adam latimer(as well as drinking with them in Vegas) and they are both really sound guys as well as great players, great to see them going so well.

go onnnnnnnnnn!!!

Edit: they're gone, ah well. I missed everything this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

:eek:
    Cook Can't Do What, Exactly?

A huge pot just went down on Blue #30. It was raised preflop from early position by Fernando Gordo to 56,000. Bertrand Grospellier, Scott Cook and Don Tran all called the raise, creating a 4-way pot with more than 225,000 chips in it before a single community card came down.

The flop was {3-Hearts} {5-Diamonds} {K-Spades}. Gordo, the preflop raiser, had to act first. He bet 155,000 and got calls from Grospellier and Cook both. Only Tran folded.

The turn {3-Diamonds} paired the board. Gordo fired another 250,000 into the middle. Again Grospellier and Cook both called, creating a gigantic pot of almost 1.5 million chips heading into the river {8-Diamonds}.

Gordo, perhaps sensing something amiss, finally slowed down. He checked. Grospellier also checkd, bringing the action to Cook.

"I can't do it," Cook said after a few moments. He also checked, taking us to showdown.

Gordo: {A-Diamonds} {K-Clubs} - two pair, aces and threes
    Grospellier: {A-Clubs} {K-Diamonds} - two pair, aces and threes
    Cook: {5-Clubs} {5-Hearts} - a full house, fives ful of threes

Cook dragged the pot to increase his count to about 3 million.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

opr wrote: »

Opr

omg man gow a set of balls...all inski :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

He can't do what exactly? That's criminal.

Edit, lol I just realised my post is the title of the blog post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Lurker1977

Sharaskin Out
    Igor Sharaskin was all in preflop for about 280,000 with 9h9c and found himself in the tough spot of being up against Jordan Smith's KhKc.

The flop came 9sQh7d, and suddenly Sharaskin's prospects appeared much brighter with his set of nines. The 7s turn then improved his hand to a full house. But the Kd on the river snatched it away from Sharaskin, knocking him out in 133rd place.

Jordan Smith now has 2.02 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

How in the name of god is Dennis Phillips in with a shout of back to back FT's...He's the guy who played that AK hand, right? I seriously literally think it was the worst I've ever seen a hand played on TV poker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

He can't do what exactly? That's criminal.

Edit, lol I just realised my post is the title of the blog post.

Obv convinced himself up against KK and scared of the trap. still a nice pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭digiman

opr wrote: »

Opr

You can be sure that Elky bolli_x would call him!!!

Or maybe thats just fish like me he calls :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

digiman wrote: »
    You can be sure that Elky bolli_x would call him!!!

Or maybe thats just fish like me he calls :eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭the_pits

Dont know if this been posted before,

So you're in the Main Event. About 200 players are left and the money is getting bigger by the minute. You've worked yourself up to about 900k and things are looking good. You then look down at two black aces and raise. Your opponent reraises and, before you know it, you're all in.

This is what just happened to Adam Croffut. He got all in preflop against Tommy Vedes with the black aces. Vedes turned over the red ones. The table shared a laugh about the situation.
    "Someone should pokerstove the odds for that," joked one of the players.

The dealer put down a flop of Kd.gif Qh.gif 6d.gif. Croffut was still smirking but the Jd.gif turn erased the smile off his face.

"Don't do it dealer. Don't do it," he pleaded.

The dealer did it. He burned and revealed an 8d.gif river. Vedes had just won a 1.4 million.

The dealer counted down the tab.

"Six hundred eighty two thousand more sir," said the dealer as his hands shook.

"I don't even wanna pay it!" sighed Croffut.

oleras wrote: »
    Obv convinced himself up against KK and scared of the trap. still a nice pot.

Bet river, reassess reraise!

Actually Ship river ffs!

Edit: sure i'm sitting at home playing a 100 freezeout, he'd be right not to listen to the likes of me:) good luck to him.

Bet river, reassess reraise!

Actually Ship river ffs!

Not knowing the stacks, but is it not better to lose the battle and win the war ?

oleras wrote: »
    Not knowing the stacks, but is it not better to lose the war and win the battle ?

I just edited my post before you posted.

Meh, it's always specific to a situation and it's not fair of me to judge from my armchair really, I can't ever see myself checking there though but you never know.
    It'd be a fairly high pressure situation in that room at the minute too and some people may be able to handle it better/differently than others.

I just edited my post before you posted.

Meh, it's always specific to a situation and it's not fair of me to judge from my armchair really, I can't ever see myself checking there though but you never know.

As i edited mine, got it backwards...lol...silly clichés, but yes, as you say very situation specific, may be results based thinking as some people call it, but better to be safe than sorry imo when they have played this long and the prizes are rising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Checking that river is beyond ****ing retarded. I only posted the hand because the check was so lol

Opr

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

Value bet that river everytime. wtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Where are people getting updates with Poker News down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Slash/ED wrote: »
    How in the name of god is Dennis Phillips in with a shout of back to back FT's...He's the guy who played that AK hand, right? I seriously literally think it was the worst I've ever seen a hand played on TV poker.

Dennis Phillips would definitely have a Moneymaker-like effect if he FTs again. He's the honest hard-working American trucker who probably has Springsteen on permanent repeat on his ipod.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,529 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Slash/ED wrote: »
    Have you never played a hand horribly or something?

Pokernews back up. Elky gone

JC Tran gone, 108 left.

Poker News better get it together.

Hey md, where did you see that?

Twitter updates from various people, Bluff Magazine, Ivey etc

Ivey 2.4 mill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

eagle eye wrote: »
    Have you never played a hand horribly or something?

Pretty sure I've never played a hand as bad as that AK hand, starting from the very first home game I played with friends when I didn't know the hand rankings...

Advertisement