Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WSOP 2009 thread [Spoilers only in here please]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

I really hope this makes for some great viewing leading up to the Nov 9, excellent performance put in by Ivey it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭30something

eddiehead wrote: »
    Chip counts........

Darvin Moon 58,930,000
    Eric Buchman 34,800,000
    Steven Begleiter 29,885,000
    Jeff Shulman 19,580,000
    Joseph Cada 13,215,000
    Kevin Schaffel 12,390,000
    Phil Ivey 9,765,000
    Antoine Saout 9,500,000
    James Akenhead 6,800,000

The stack ratio between Moon and Ivey is quie similar to the one in 2006 between Gold and Paul Wasicka, Ivey v Moon HU for the Title?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭a147pro

I hope Mr. Kopp has some moral support out there in Vegas as I suspect he is a sick man indeed. The coverage had him exitting the arena before the river fell as he was drawing dead. I agree with Lloyd that its hard to judge actions from this dispatch, but I don't think either he or Moon (I think it was against him) covered themselves with glory in that hand given how deep they were.

Personally, I don't see how Moon makes the call there either. Maybe he would still have had a decent stack left, and presumably Kopp was well capable of doing that with an over pair or set including a diamond, or even the bare draw. But I think I fold in that spot.

He seems a really nice guy but I can't see Moon winning it.

Here is the hand for those who haven't seen it:-

Billy Kopp Eliminated in 12th Place ($896,730)

Wow. That's a succinct description of what just happened on the secondary feature table. Billy Kopp opened for 600,000 preflop from early position and was called by the small blind, Darvin Moon. So far, so good.

On a flop of {K-Diamonds} {9-Diamonds} {2-Diamonds}, Moon had first action and checked. He then called when Kopp bet 750,000. Again, nothing out of the ordinary yet.

It was on the turn {2-Hearts} where everything went haywire. Moon checked again and drew a bet of 2.0 million from Kopp. Moon then check-raised to 6.0 million. Improbably, Kopp moved all in for about 20.0 million total. Even more improbably, Moon called!

Kopp: {5-Diamonds} {3-Diamonds}
    Moon: {Q-Diamonds} {J-Diamonds}

Kopp looked like he wanted to cry when he saw Moon's hand. He knew that he was drawing dead and that Moon had him covered. Kopp had more than 80 big blinds to start the hand; with the {7-Clubs} river he had none. He didn't even wait for the river to come out, barreling out of the secondary feature table area as fast as he could.

Moon is once again the chip leader with a whopping 45.0 million chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

a147pro wrote: »
    I hope Mr. Kopp has some moral support out there in Vegas as I suspect he is a sick man indeed. The coverage had him exitting the arena before the river fell as he was drawing dead. I agree with Lloyd that its hard to judge actions from this dispatch, but I don't think either he or Moon (I think it was against him) covered themselves with glory in that hand given how deep they were.

Personally, I don't see how Moon makes the call there either. Maybe he would still have had a decent stack left, and presumably Kopp was well capable of doing that with an over pair or set including a diamond, or even the bare draw. But I think I fold in that spot.

He seems a really nice guy but I can't see Moon winning it.

Every year the wsop produces someone inexperienced/donkeyesque that no one approves of/hates and the poker gods have der way and see them go well beyond their limits. Examples would be Varkoni, Moneymaker, Gold, Yang etc etc. Moon is this years springer. He sure seems like a nice guy,
    Still its Ivey all the way for me. Him and shulmann HU would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭FeetMagic

Who is this Shulman character? He seems to have alot of supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

FeetMagic wrote: »
    Who is this Shulman character? He seems to have alot of supporters.

Owns CardPlayer magazine and he's far from a character

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭FeetMagic

Owns CardPlayer magazine and he's far from a character

Whys everyone rooting for him to go HU with Ivey!?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

He was selling shares in bbv, they're all shipping the loots, snakes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭SilentAssassin

The stack ratio between Moon and Ivey is quie similar to the one in 2006 between Gold and Paul Wasicka, Ivey v Moon HU for the Title?

I'd say they'll be two of the final three players anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Quote from Andy Bloch
    Yes, I made a bet after day 2 against @philivey winning at 99-1. Ivey laid off most of it against Gus Hansen. I'm still rooting for Ivey

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Don't know where you heard that. A few of the HSMTT regs have said that he's a very funny guy. And he's promised to throw his bracelet in the bin as a **** you to Harrah's if he wins.

[ ] Shulman throws bracelet away.

guy sounds like a jackass to me

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭j10spades

i think this has the making of a upset(shulman) for harrahs..just imagine if the guy was to go on a card rush and destroy everyone,then imagine the interview and braclet presentation to follow :pac:!has the makings of a comedy!tbh if i won a braclet :rolleyes: i wouldnt be flaunting it around(prob just stand infront of the mirror for a few hours at a time here and there)..walking into ur local pub game thinking ur guna get more respect lol 2 chances of that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Got Barrow + 10 in the rugger just there. Looks like I bought myself 2 free points since the spread is after coming in again.

Western Bulldogs -16.5 or whatever they are in the morning (AFL) look da valuez too.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Irish Iron

billy kopp would have been a sick addition to the final table,

DurangoDan35 on Full Tilt. Ace10Clubz on UB. Billy "Patrolman35" Kopp is a successful high stakes online tournament player who won the Full Tilt Poker Sunday Brawl in April '09 for $83,660. He began moving up the PLB in early 2008 with a 2nd place finish in the PokerStars Nightly Hundred Grand for $16k. In March '08, he took down the Ultimate Bet $200k Guaranteed for $45,000, and followed that up with a $13k score in the Full Tilt $65k Guaranteed. Billy also has a 3rd place showing in the Stars Sunday Warm-Up for $71,900 and a win in the Stars Sunday Second Chance tournament for $57,800

Irish Iron wrote: »
    billy kopp would have been a sick addition to the final table,

Billy "Patrolman35" Kopp is a successful high stakes online tournament player who won the Full Tilt Poker Sunday Brawl in April '09 for $83,660. He began moving up the PLB in early 2008 with a 2nd place finish in the PokerStars Nightly Hundred Grand for $16k. In March '08, he took down the Ultimate Bet $200k Guaranteed for $45,000, and followed that up with a $13k score in the Full Tilt $65k Guaranteed. Billy also has a 3rd place showing in the Stars Sunday Warm-Up for $71,900 and a win in the Stars Sunday Second Chance tournament for $57,800[/B][/I]

I think the phrase 'but how much did he lose' fits in well here lol

also I'd say Billy Kopp is one of the sickest players on the planet at the moment if not the sickest

also I'd say Billy Kopp is one of the sickest players on the planet at the moment if not the sickest

http://www.officialpokerrankings.com/fulltiltpoker/DurangoDan35/poker/results/9B0F280FC16346DD8717CD71F1F664E3.html?t=2

http://www.officialpokerrankings.com/pokerstars/Patrolman35/poker/results/F28CF27D721F493B948F5DDDA0A6B949.html?t=2

• Advertisement

I'm not sure of your point Tony buy my whole post was a sarcastic mockery of his wsop exit hand

I didnt detect any sarcasm in your post Richie. There's plenty of players you can attribute 'but how much did he lose' to. I just meant he's not one. Unlike the genius below ;)

http://www.officialpokerrankings.com/pokerstars/moumouth/poker/results/B51D4CF3B62B425FB58EAD7C81FA200B.html?t=2

Flushdraw wrote: »
    I didnt detect any sarcasm in your post Richie. There's plenty of players you can attribute 'but how much did he lose' to. I just meant he's not one. Unlike the genius below ;)

http://www.officialpokerrankings.com/pokerstars/moumouth/poker/results/B51D4CF3B62B425FB58EAD7C81FA200B.html?t=2

The how much did he lose was referring to how much the mis step with the 3 5 cost him, never mind I'll explain better next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭HIVeindhoven

Flushdraw wrote: »

As has been said elsewhere , the fact that he plies his trade mainly online(high volume) in tourneys where at this stage stacks are usually 15BB-30BB deep imust have been a factor here. In his normal game , the 5 high flush is a fist pump snap call all in wham bam hand. In pretty much ANY online tourney you could care to name. When you factor in the gruesome pressure that coming down to the Final 9 in the M.E no doubt entails, i think people are being a tad harsh on him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

As has been said elsewhere , the fact that he plies his trade mainly online(high volume) in tourneys where at this stage stacks are usually 15BB-30BB deep imust have been a factor here. In his normal game , the 5 high flush is a fist pump snap call all in wham bam hand. In pretty much ANY online tourney you could care to name. When you factor in the gruesome pressure that coming down to the Final 9 in the M.E no doubt entails, i think people are being a tad harsh on him.

You really 4bet all in here? he didnt call he pushed over the 3bet.

a-k-47 wrote: »
    You really 4bet all in here? he didnt call he pushed over the 3bet.
    I've been too lazy/busy to look up exactly how deep they were here,if they are>100BB then maybe its donkish, but imo anything under that and its just a cooler plain as. The guy cant be THAT much of a nit to have made it this far surely, there has to be some non flush/huse hands in his range.
    I am open to being ripped apart here though, not armed with all the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I've been too lazy/busy to look up exactly how deep they were here,if they are>100BB then maybe its donkish, but imo anything under that and its just a cooler plain as. The guy cant be THAT much of a nit to have made it this far surely, there has to be some non flush/huse hands in his range.
    I am open to being ripped apart here though, not armed with all the facts.

While the guy may not be aware of it, he was that much of a nit. In an interview he described some hand where he raised then folded to a 3 bet all in with KK

Slash/ED wrote: »
    While the guy may not be aware of it, he was that much of a nit. In an interview he described some hand where he raised then folded to a 3 bet all in with KK

Well even if it was a fck up you cant feel too bad for the guy. I wish i had circa. $800,000 in compensation for some of the mistakes i've made in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Betfair prices have come in, http://sports.betfair.com/Index.do?mi=100671892&ex=1&origin=MRL
    Very skewed imo, seriously consider punting this heavily.

It wasn't quite a cooler I'm afraid, and looking at his online results its all the more of a disappointment he's not on the FT.

And I don't think Moon was really a nit notwithstanding the KK hand. He's called all in in this hand with about the 10 nuts or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ZZR1100

According to different poker forums and magazines, Phil Ivey has betted x-amount of money on himself to win the Main Event to x-times the money. According to one of his friends and teammates in team PokerStars, he would take home one of the biggest wins the world of poker has ever seen if he becomes the last man standing.

There are many rumors circulating on the web at the moment that Phil Ivey placed many bets on himself to win the main event at many of his rich friends. So, if he manage to take home the tournament in December this year, he will not only win $8,5 million in first prize, but also take home what some people say could be the biggest win ever on a bet. We are probably talking about many, many millions dollars, but we'll probably have to wait and see if Phil will reveal anything about this side bet in future interviews.

Advertisement