Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WSOP 2009 thread [Spoilers only in here please]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭pooman

Lads you really are that bitter he knocked P.I. out? he had 3 bad hands to note, maybe he was trying to make a play when he didnt need to, maybe he thought he'd have to mix it up to throw his opponents off course...failed miserably.He said it himself if it came down to playing poker he wouldnt have a chance so fair play to him giving it a shot... but hey...I dont see you at the F.T. ;)

78% of those polled thought Ivey'd win...says it all really. :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

pooman wrote: »
    Lads you really are that bitter he knocked P.I. out? he had 3 bad hands to note, maybe he was trying to make a play when he didnt need to, maybe he thought he'd have to mix it up to throw his opponents off course...failed miserably.He said it himself if it came down to playing poker he wouldnt have a chance so fair play to him giving it a shot... but hey...I dont see you at the F.T. ;)

Do you expect us not to comment on the lack of quality he has shown? By all accounts he got his stack before the FT by being a card rack, and he has played very weirdly getting into horrible spots a lot at the FT. No one is villifying him for the call that knocked Ivey out.

What sort of place would any poker forum be if people just said fair play, well done without commenting on the hands?

It'd be interesting to see the 45mill pot hole cards with Beiglighter. Thought calling was his only play in that spot. He did make some strange plays I'll agree there, but does Saout call hime there without his J2...he just happened to run into a made hand. No excuse for the K9. And no I aint got any cash on Moon lol

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

BobSloane wrote: »
    I watched a good bit of this - or listened..whatever. Comparing Moons play to cada's is ridiculous. Was asleep for the hand aginst Schulman JJ so dont know how the action went down. The 22 v QQ was v Saout blind v blind and i thought reasonably standard as they were both playing fairly aggro - shame they didn't get hu tbh. The AK v 88 hand he called a shove with AK 3 handed.

for sure he won 2 key pots when miles behind, a flip v ivey and a flip v saout to get hu. But moon did things that were beyond dumb at times

Wasn't comparing Moons play v Cada, was simply stating that Cada had his fair share (and more) of luck.

:D

It'd be interesting to see the 45mill pot hole cards with Beiglighter. Thought calling was his only play in that spot. He did make some strange plays I'll agree there, but does Saout call hime there without his J2...he just happened to run into a made hand. No excuse for the K9. And no I aint got any cash on Moon lol

The A4 vs the J2 hand was the worst of the lot. Saout raised preflop, Moon called from the BB, then led for a full pot bet on the flop of 2.3m. If Sauot has Q3of course it would have worked, but Saout never raises to 6m from a 10m stack to fold to a shove, so there was zero fold equity in a shove by Moon with a bluff. Unless he really had no idea whatsoever how much Saout was playing there was no excuse, and if he had no idea and didn't ask then I have even less sympathy for him as it is a fundamental to know or at least find out before you brainfart.

The fold for 6.4m into a 45m pot was horrible as well obviously. He said afterwards he though he was against AKs on a 4s3s2x board. How the hell does he find himself saying that? He did get a count as well so he knew how much more it was to call.

I am not one to vilify someone to go along with a crowd, but lets call a spade a spade here, he played terribly yesterday (at least until 10.30am this morning when I went to sleep).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭BobSloane

whats your point. U defend moon then two posts later you come on bashing his play.:pac: I dont see you at the FT either

As for your assessment of the J2 hand.
    IIRC saout raised pre in LP and Moon called with A4 from the blinds. Pot was 2.5m or the like. Moon donked out a near psb and Saout raised putting in almost all his stack. Moon then 3b shipped and saout called getting a million to one.

What is the all that this says?

tm2204 wrote: »
    Wasn't comparing Moons play v Cada, was simply stating that Cada had his fair share (and more) of luck.

:D

In fairness everyone was ul at that table except the two that got hu and i suppose aikenhead who never really got going. I think Ivey,Schaffel,Begleiter,Buchman,Saout and Schulman all lost big pots when they were big fav

whats your point. U defend moon then two posts later you come on bashing his play.:pac: I dont see you at the FT either

There's obviously a reason why I aint there...:confused::confused:

Never entered :pac:

maybe he was trying to make a play when he didnt need to, maybe he thought he'd have to mix it up to throw his opponents off course...failed miserably.

Not exactly a full on defend there is it.. :rolleyes:

I'll admit I misread the text on the A4 hand so my bad. Thanks for the verification. He didnt see to mind spashing chips left right and center...unlike Phil, so for action he was great.. thought Buchman would win it myself, had a great chip stack and seemed fairly solid. ye Moon outdrew him to knock him out but hand played itself. Let me guess...you lost a few loots backing Ivey...:p

lol guess again. Even i'm aware that 5-1 on a guy with 5% of chips in play is not a clever bet. So i'll ask again what is the all that 78% of people polled thought ivey would win says? You seemed to use that to sum up your post or something:confused:

I'm not certain of the hand v begleiter but I think it was another huge 3b ship for about 40bbs v an utg raise. Hand did not play itself

edit : sorry you are on about the hand v buchmann when moon raised and snap called a shove with KJs. I dont think that one played itself either

lol guess again. Even i'm aware that 5-1 on a guy with 5% of chips in play is not a clever bet. So i'll ask again what is the all that 78% of people polled thought ivey would win says? You seemed to use that to sum up your post or something:confused:
    It some justification for the Moon haters, Ivey winning would have been brilliant for poker and the main event, it didnt happen unfortunately but dont begrudge the man that bust him.
    I'm not certain of the hand v begleiter but I think it was another huge 3b ship for about 40bbs v an utg raise. Hand did not play itself

edit : sorry you are on about the hand v buchmann when moon raised and snap called a shove with KJs. I dont think that one played itself either

No im lost, im talking about the Moon Ivey AQ vs AK
    Are you on about Moon AQ vs Begleiter QQ?

As much as I hate that call...and AQ for that matter, you maybe have to consider Moon state of mind, was he card dead for a while or just riding the wave good boards that got him to the FT. Didnt like that play tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭6r4mad

what time dose the head's up start anyone....?

. thought Buchman would win it myself, had a great chip stack and seemed fairly solid. ye Moon outdrew him to knock him out but hand played itself...

:confused: are you not on about Moon busting Buchman here?:confused:

I don't know where your're getting that I'm a moon hater or am angry with him for busting ivey. Hand was super standard - identical pretty much to eastgate busting Chino reem last year.

I think nearly every other hand he played was terrible but the ivey hand was standard. As for his state of mind etc i did allude to that a few posts back when i mentioned about them playing for 18hrs+ but you seem to have ignored that and picked up instead that I hate him for busting ivey because I lost money on ivey getting eliminated.

6r4mad wrote: »
    what time dose the head's up start anyone....?

i think round 6am Tuesday morning

:confused: are you not on about Moon busting Buchman here?:confused:

I don't know where your're getting that I'm a moon hater or am angry with him for busting ivey. Hand was super standard - identical pretty much to eastgate busting Chino reem last year.

I think nearly every other hand he played was terrible but the ivey hand was standard. As for his state of mind etc i did allude to that a few posts back when i mentioned about them playing for 18hrs+ but you seem to have ignored that and picked up instead that I hate him for busting ivey because I lost money on ivey getting eliminated.

Sorry never read that. My 1st comment was a general statement and not directed at anyone. No I was referring to the AQ AK Ivey bust hand that played itself, not the AQ QQ or the Buchman KJ bust, although in that one im sure Moon felt that he had a good chance busting a serious threat with a marginal call there. Sorry the wording is confusing..it's late..:(

10 pm pacific time

Ireland is 8 hours ahead so 6am

ok thanks sir

should this be restarting now....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

6r4mad wrote: »
    should this be restarting now....?

If by 'now' you mean tommorrow morning then, yes, yes it should:D

lol sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

Was anyone else surprised to see Ivey call Cada's all in (I think it was Cada anyway, details are a bit fuzzy now) with A8? He had just got up to 16m a few hands before and for the first time in the ft actually had a bit of breathing room, then he calls an all in from the short stack where he was going to be in a race at best and possibly way behind.

That's the hand that put him on the slippery slope imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

radharc wrote: »
    Was anyone else surprised to see Ivey call Cada's all in (I think it was Cada anyway, details are a bit fuzzy now) with A8? He had just got up to 16m a few hands before and for the first time in the ft actually had a bit of breathing room, then he calls an all in from the short stack where he was going to be in a race at best and possibly way behind.

He soul read Cada of course...The dealer fcuked him though

radharc wrote: »

It was marginal I think, getting 2/1 on the call with A8 (iirc). I'm sure Ivey would have had a better idea of Cadas range for making that move than I, so won't commet too much, but 2/1 does compensate a bit for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Irish Iron

Cada has to win, if there is a poker god dont let the mountain man win it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

5starpool wrote: »
    It was marginal I think, getting 2/1 on the call with A8 (iirc). I'm sure Ivey would have had a better idea of Cadas range for making that move than I, so won't commet too much, but 2/1 does compensate a bit for it.

True, but I've found more than once that pot odds have dragged me into bad situations where I persuade myself I "have" to calll - say you're getting 3/1 where you feel you have a 33% chance of winning the hand, you're obviously getting good odds but it still means theres a 2/3 chance you'll lose the showdown and take a serious hit. It's hard to console yourself you had the right odds when you're driving home in the car after getting knocked out!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

People questioning Ivey..... the 4 horsemen are on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

Is there anywhere I can watch the HU online?

5Star - are we going to win tonight? Wtf is going on with the club - we're falling apart and why does Lucas still get his game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

pocketdooz wrote: »

5Star - are we going to win tonight? Wtf is going on with the club - we're falling apart and why does Lucas still get his game?

5Star if you have tonights Monday Millions winning numbers can you pass them on here please also.....

pocketdooz wrote: »

You can listen to the HU, I'm sure there will be links around, but you cannot watch it online. It will be broadcast on ESPN on Tuesday night in the states for the first time. No peekies allowed before then.

As for tonight, we should, but I am hella apprehensive about it. If we do win, then in the last 6 games we have earned 1 point less than Utd in the PL, and only 4 behind them overall (yes, I know they are 5 behind Chelsea). The next 3 games are huge, and we need 7 points from the next 3 to keep on the coat tails I think. Stranger things have happened.
    Whyno wrote: »
    5Star if you have tonights Monday Millions winning numbers can you pass them on here please also.....

Piss off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

5starpool wrote: »
    You can listen to the HU, I'm sure there will be links around, but you cannot watch it online. It will be broadcast on ESPN on Tuesday night in the states for the first time. No peekies allowed before then.

As for tonight, we should, but I am hella apprehensive about it. If we do win, then in the last 6 games we have earned 1 point less than Utd in the PL, and only 4 behind them overall (yes, I know they are 5 behind Chelsea). The next 3 games are huge, and we need 7 points from the next 3 to keep on the coat tails I think. Stranger things have happened.

I dont suppose that ESPN showing will also be on ESPN here (i.e. the €10 a month channel - the old Setanta) ?

The next 3 games are huge, I agree. I hate to see the club in this state. It's not over yet - remember 86 I think - we were in the bottom half of the league in November and went on to win it. I am not convinced by Utd this year at all.

Big game tonight - realy looking forward to it.

What is the deal with Lucas? How does he still get his game? Watching the Inter-Roma game here and wishing we still has Reise . . .

• Advertisement

No, that ESPN channel here won't showing it, but you can get ESPN on TVU player I think so could watch it there live at 2am Irish time or whatever if you are that keen. I think I'll wait for pokertube or cousins if I watch it at all.

Lucas is not that bad. He is not the most creative, granted, but he is scapegoated way too much. He is not someone I want to see become a regular without upping his game, but he is a decent backup midfielder to have, and hopefully Aquilani will bring a spark to the midfield soon, although I think people are expecting too muych off him too soon.

Advertisement