Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WSOP 2009 thread [Spoilers only in here please]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

It think it would be better for poker that Moon wins and not players like Phil Ivey. The game needs stories like Moneymaker and Moon. That is what grew the WSOP main event numbers to almost 10k (internet helped). The game needs millions of hopefuls to feed the pros. I'm not commenting on the quality of play.

Darvin Moon
    - self-employed logger from Western Maryland
    - no documented cashes
    - never played online poker
    - doesn’t own a computer nor have an email address
    - first time on a jet plane was when he came to Las Vegas to play in this tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭smurph

kincsem wrote: »
    It think it would be better for poker that Moon wins and not players like Phil Ivey. The game needs stories like Moneymaker and Moon. That is what grew the WSOP main event numbers to almost 10k (internet helped). The game needs millions of hopefuls to feed the pros. I'm not commenting on the quality of play.

Darvin Moon
    - no documented cashes
    - first time on a jet plane was when he came to Las Vegas to play in this tournament

I kind of envy him in a way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

if darvin wins he's evaporating..

"But you also get the feeling that people would be rooting for whoever was playing against Darvin Moon. The unsponsored, self-employed laborer from the backcountry says he's done playing poker after this tournament. Most young grinders can't fathom turning down a fat sponsorship check, but Moon says he's not taking. In an interview with the Washington Post, he said, "These guys want me to sign for a year and say: 'You've gotta do this, you've gotta do that.' You become their" property. (Moon actually used a more forceful word that rhymes with "rich.")"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

cuterob wrote: »

"But you also get the feeling that people would be rooting for whoever was playing against Darvin Moon. The unsponsored, self-employed laborer from the backcountry says he's done playing poker after this tournament. Most young grinders can't fathom turning down a fat sponsorship check, but Moon says he's not taking. In an interview with the Washington Post, he said, "These guys want me to sign for a year and say: 'You've gotta do this, you've gotta do that.' You become their" property. (Moon actually used a more forceful word that rhymes with "rich.")"

4035989348_11895705fa_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

kincsem wrote: »

Darvin Moon
    - no documented cashes
    Doesn't do much for the game of skill argument

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭HIVeindhoven

What a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Would obv be great for darvin to win in terms of attracting the fish, but I still think Cada is greta value at 1/3 and Id be shocked if Moon beats him.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭pooman

Audio feed

http://www.bluffmagazine.com/live/

Use IE, FF isnt working for me.

Enjoy the Moonament! (stolen) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

First Hand

Round: 39 Blinds: 500000/1000000 Ante: 150000

Darvin Moon has the button. He completes before Cada raises to 3.5 million. Moon makes the call.

The flop comes down {3-Spades} {K-Spades} {2-Diamonds} and Cada is first to act. He fires 3.5 million. Moon reaches for his chips and slides out a two-fisted raise to 10 million. Cada made the call.

The dealer brings in the chips from both players and then places the {A-Diamonds} on the felt for the turn. Cada checks over to Moon. Moon fires 10 million to the "oohs" and "ahhs" from the crowd. Cada calls rather quickly.

The river completes the board with the {K-Clubs} and both players check. Moon shows {Q-Spades} {Q-Diamonds} and Cada shows {9-Diamonds} {9-Clubs}. Moon takes the massive first pot

Edit: 10 hands in or so and Moon takes the lead

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Been great action heads up so far. Some hands i cant wait to see on tv.

Neck and neck at mo, Cada 100M, Moon 95M

Seems like could go either way really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Darvin Moon has been the better player by a considerable distance. Was only that one big pot that has Cada still on it IMO

Until now :-O :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

I can't follow any of the live coverage as I am in work? What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Cada 122 Moon 72

Moon very aggressive, throwing Cada off course. he cant get a read on him, Moon dominating then this hand...

Hand #356 - Joe Cada Makes An All-In Call
    Joe Cada has the button. He raises to 3 million and Moon makes the call. It comes Tc.gif5d.gif9h.gif, and the action goes check-check. The turn comes the Td.gif and Moon checks once again. Cada can't resist betting 3 million, and Moon quickly announces an all in check-raise! Cada takes a sip from his water bottle as he pauses to consider his options for a few moments. He sinks deep into his chair and practically lays his head on the rail, cradled in his elbow. The decision is clearly an agonizing one. Finally, and quietly, Cada says, "I call." With that, he is now at risk, and Moon is potentially one card from the bracelet. With the entire theater on their feet, the cards are turned over: Moon - 7s.gif8s.gif Cada - Jh.gif9d.gif Cada is ahead with his two pair, but Moon is drawing to his open-ender, and he sure does run good. After a long, suspenseful delay, the river comes: 3h.gifThat's safe for Cada, and he gives the ol' double fist pump as he heads off into the arms of his cheering section. With that good call, Cada has earned himself a massive double up and the chip lead once again! Moon - 86,500,000 Cada - 108,300,000

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

WP Cada

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Congrats to Cada, was rooting for him. Will be great heads up on ESPN hopefully, once they dont mess it up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

They were suited ...

2412658009_9956951b68.jpg

I'll bet Billy Kopp understands now how hard it would have been for him to push Moon of that QJ of diamonds;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Dissappointed Moon didn't win. I agree with people saying him winning would be good for the game. Then again if he truly was planning to disappear into the sunset afterwards then it might not be that good. Congrats to Cada anyway. He nearly threw it away though trying to 'outplay' Moon. When I heard everyone talking about how experienced he was at heads up I just knew his approach would be to raise every button hand like he was playing someone who knew enough to fold some hands. I don't care who the experts are if you are playing someone like Moon with a 2-1 chip advantage you simply wait for the hands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

mewso wrote: »
    Dissappointed Moon didn't win. I agree with people saying him winning would be good for the game. Then again if he truly was planning to disappear into the sunset afterwards then it might not be that good. Congrats to Cada anyway. He nearly threw it away though trying to 'outplay' Moon. When I heard everyone talking about how experienced he was at heads up I just knew his approach would be to raise every button hand like he was playing someone who knew enough to fold some hands. I don't care who the experts are if you are playing someone like Moon with a 2-1 chip advantage you simply wait for the hands.

Gerry Yang didn't exactly set the poker world ablaze following his wsop win, I suspect Moon could have had a similar effect had he planned on doing what he said he would.

Also, I disagree, if you have a 2/1 chip lead playing HU v any opponent the game plan should be to lean on them and keep the pressure up, without committing too many chips with marginal holdings and yes, that would mean raising more or less every button. If he wants to continually play pots OOP, that's pretty much a great thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

sheets and bax took most of the money from cada's win.. they bought him into the tourney

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭pgodkin

sheets and bax took most of the money from cada's win.. they bought him into the tourney

Who's sheets & Bax??? Any idea how much!

pgodkin wrote: »
    Who's sheets & Bax??? Any idea how much!

Eric Haber and Cliff Josephy, sheets and johnnybax on twoplustwo, sicko online players, think johnny bax has a wsop bracelet also.

Is it confirmed they bought him in, I thought cada was reasonably successful before this wsop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭maloney333

Yeah they defo put him in, http://www.bonusriders.com/wsop-final-table-participant-joseph-cada-2841 still get half of it so not to bad for a freeroll:D

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Irish Iron

sheets and bax run good if true, apparently there stable has 5 sunday million winners already.
    also sheets newest video has some amazing stuff in it which is gonna see the metagame get even deeper imo.

maloney333 wrote: »
    Yeah they defo put him in, http://www.bonusriders.com/wsop-final-table-participant-joseph-cada-2841 still get half of it so not to bad for a freeroll:D

After Uncle Sam takes his cut they will barely 2 million left

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

He'll get by on that I'd say, especially when combined with the other benefits and sponsorships that come with being WSOP ME champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭pgodkin

What the value of a being sponsored by pokerstars, Neil Channing that they were piss poor, I assume an ME winner would be different but would it be what ever u could hold out for???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭j10spades

dwan was just signed by fulltilt,maybe coz he's nearly broke? either way it has to be a win/win for both

Advertisement