Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WSOP 2009 thread [Spoilers only in here please]

Options
1323334353638»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Anyone watching the TV coverage should bear in mind it took something like 18 hours to get down to 2. It was pretty cautious in general. Also having listened to the audio commentary I think Saout was the best player on the day. Lots of good aggressive play that didn't make the TV because nobody was all-in (or dare I say it because he was french) and of course very unlucky at the end. Ivey was in a tough spot throughout so he couldn't really show what he could do. I'm really not sure about Cada. He seems a decent player but some very questionable plays. Great call with the J9 though because the bracelet deffinitely meant a lot to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

From the hands they showed on ESPN and what i read on pokernews i think Cada played the worst poker out of any Main Event champion in the past 10 years.

Schulman had been rocking it up like no nit ever had before and he calls off almost all his chips with AJ vs him and jams 33 vs him, his range was super tight in both spots, both awful plays.

The 2's hand vs Saout seemed very bad as well, in a vacuum at least.

Was surprised Ivey folded the JJ as well, guess he thought Saout's range there was a lot tighter than it was but 30x or whatever it was deep i thought he'd get it in, things might have been a whole lot different if he did.

Oh yeah, lol donkaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

ghey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭mormank

ok will somebody correct me here cosi cannot be right in what im thinking..after darvin moon check raises beglighter(i know the spelling is wrong) to 15m and thne folds for another 6m does he go up to his wife and try telling her that he had queens and thought he was ahead but that the other guy had a draw so he wasnt prepared to call in case he lost!!! please somebody tell me im wrong!! cos if im right it is the most depressing thing ive heard in a long time, that this clown could make the final table of the main event!! jeez...that illustrates all that is wrong with tournament poker imo..the best player so rarely wins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

mormank wrote: »
    ok will somebody correct me here cosi cannot be right in what im thinking..after darvin moon check raises beglighter(i know the spelling is wrong) to 15m and thne folds for another 6m does he go up to his wife and try telling her that he had queens and thought he was ahead but that the other guy had a draw so he wasnt prepared to call in case he lost!!! please somebody tell me im wrong!! cos if im right it is the most depressing thing ive heard in a long time, that this clown could make the final table of the main event!! jeez...that illustrates all that is wrong with tournament poker imo..the best player so rarely wins

you are not wrong:D

• Advertisement

chips1234 wrote: »
    you are not wrong:D

oh god..pass me the bucket!

Darvin Moon: I told them guys im taking the cash, i dont want a cheque!! LOLtastic!! ill bet he now has 5million dollars under his mattress at home! this guy personifies everything i hate about poker!

this is hilarious!!

Joe Cada: ooh that looks really nice(referring to the cash on the table)

Darvin Moon: It's money!

BAahahahahaha

Darvin Moon: Its fun for me, i am learning so much from you. (No he's not!)

Joe Cada: you are playing very well. you are by far...ugh am eh...a very tough opponent.

its like he thought about what he was just about to say and realised, no wait this guy is not the toughest opponent ive played, probably one of the easiest in fact!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

^^^^^ some guy up there said the effect a Frenchman winning the main event would have would dwarf that of the 'moneymaker' effect. Not sure who it was cause he's on ignore for a comment like that.

Can someone explain to him what actually happened between 2002 and 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Fair play to Darvin Moon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

isn't there new legislation coming in for the frenchies re: online poker where as they are only allowed to play against other frenchies online inside of france?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

^^^^^ some guy up there said the effect a Frenchman winning the main event would have would dwarf that of the 'moneymaker' effect. Not sure who it was cause he's on ignore for a comment like that.

Can someone explain to him what actually happened between 2002 and 2003

Explain it to me Richie because I'm not in the habit of tarring a nationality with the same brush as their Government. If everyone did so we Irish would be hated in every corner of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

mormank wrote: »

Yep, thought he actually had KQ ie nothing. It was a good read by Moon in fairness(he said before folding he put Begs on AKspades, he had AQspades) and technically the right decision to fold but still hard to believe.

Agree that the Cada call with AJ against Shulman was bad.
    Surprised to see him fold the 10s (especially given his later plays with 2s and 3s) but probably won him the WSOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

I was disgusted watching ESPN's highlight coverage of the final table last night. I don't care if it took 18 hours to get down to two players, that was some of the worst poker I have ever seen. It was a terribe advertisemt for the game.

Other than Ivey, Saout seemed the most likely player at the table. However, the madness around him must have been contagious, he blew up at the end - how do you shove 40+BB with just a pair of 7s??

Guarantee you Cada will never do anything of note in poker again, what a terrible player. All of his planets lined up for this event.

LOL donkaments indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Mullicker

I just can't understand how Darvin Moon could make it this far, maybe people reacted badly to his illogical play for the 6 or so days it took to get to the final table. Like Cada's really dumb river bluff verses him with 37s. I would have been unbelievably tilted after Darvin limped QQ HU and raised Cada's bet on Kxx board and fired the turn, did he even know what he was doing ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

Couldn't even watch the last few parts of the FT as I just lost interest in the end. Don't think it was a patch on last years FT and Cada isn't even close to being in the same league as Eastgate or Demidov. If Ivey didn't make this FT it would have been a complete washout. It really did make this the most buzzing FT in years. Really hated the way it played out though in the end and it was a shame there were so many brutal suck outs as it doesn't do much for the games image.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

Might just have been the ESPN editing but it seemed to me that everyone just wanted to get it AIPF (often 30+ BB) with small/medium pairs or Ax/KQ/QJ/KJ type hands where you are basically flipping at best!

So many times this kind of play resulted in a horrible suckout so agree it's not great for the general image of poker.

Why the fear of playing post flop?

Thought Shulman adopted a good style given what was going on around him but that does mean that he needed to win all his 80/20 70/30 spots which he didn't.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

cuterob wrote: »
    isn't there new legislation coming in for the frenchies re: online poker where as they are only allowed to play against other frenchies online inside of france?

Linky?

Could only find this.
    http://www.pokeraffiliateprograms.com/News/Industry-News/New-French-Online-Poker-Laws-Get-Approval.html

If I can't play with Frenchies any more on Everest I'll cry. The fishiest of fish.

Paddy Power Moving in France at the mo with the horses.
    http://www.gamingalerts.co.uk/news/industry-news/Paddy-Power-takes-on-France5627.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

While i think Cada didnt play a great final table he has some nice cashes online so hes no donk in fairness, he won the $1050 buyin tourney on Stars on Sep 6th this year for $128k which is a tough field to get through i presume.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think Moon knew that he was never going to be able to out play the other players so he was happy to get it all in pre-flop most of the time. Cada annoied me with the whole "this is for the championship", he did prove that you need luck to with a tournament, best of luck to him with 8.5 million, not jealous at all, would much prefer to be the luckiest donk that the best player every time :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

In fairness Cada is a professional player afaik, he's not exactly some random Yang like donk. ESPN edited highlights aren't much to judge anyone on and it isn't his fault he ran well in key spots when shoving/getting it in was probably +ev anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭corkie123

the joy of playing poker is nothing is ever going to be the same . Every time u play AA sometimes it gets beat by the small pairs and another night AA wins everytime .
    so what do we take from that is the best hand does not always win .

wow is this something different from what we are used to when we all play poker No it is not it happens all the time and does this make these players the worse ever for doing these plays no it does not christ even ivy layed down the best hd on the way to the final table does this make him one of the worse no it does not .

sometimes its the lucky one who wins in the end
    cada went down to the bare bone but came back and won did not our own marty smith do the same with the millons and is he a donkey ?

In the end cada came 1st from 6k plus players so gl to him i think we all wish we could be him :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Slash/ED wrote: »
    In fairness Cada is a professional player afaik, he's not exactly some random Yang like donk. ESPN edited highlights aren't much to judge anyone on and it isn't his fault he ran well in key spots when shoving/getting it in was probably +ev anyway

Yeah I was just looking him up online and hes got $500k in donkament profit over 2.5k MTTs, so hes clearly not the donk people christen him to be based on 50 hands on TV.

Advertisement