Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

management light flashing, screen reads antipollution faulty, car keeps cutting out

• 05-06-2009 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

hi all. i have a 2005 1.4 Citroen c4. the engine management light is on and the screen reads antipollution faulty. the car just cuts out, some times it starts straight away other times it doesn't. i have been to the main dealer, they have tried to fix it 3 times. first time they said it was the coil pack, took the car home same proublem, second attempt at fixing, garage said it was spark plugs, took car home, same proublem, third attempt the said it was software proublem :confused: this hasn't fixed it. now the engine managment light is flashing and the car has no power and seems to be misfiring, i think the car is in limp mode. the garage say the coil and spark plugs needed to be done and have refused a refund. what should i do, anyone have any idea what the proublem could be, can anyone recomend some one who can fix the proublem as every garage says they dont have the computer to dignose the proublem, iam in kerry. any help is aperecated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

The MIL ( Malfunction indicator light ) is flashing because the ECM has detected a missfire . Its designed to flash when a missfire is detected to alert the driver to switch off the engine. Cats do not like raw unburnt fuel which is what they get when there is a continious missfire and if you continue driving and burn out the cat you will have an even more expensive repair.

It really is shocking how many garages including main dealers do not know how to diagnose emission problems.There are so many things or possibilities that are causing your problem but try and find somebody competent who will start at the begining with the basics, so many people jump in at the deep end with the lap top which by the way is not enough on its own because without a competent operator all you get is computer says no.

I would recommend getting somebody to check the mechanicals such as static belt timing ,carry out a compression test , fuel pressure test etc.DTCs for missfire can be difficult to resolve but you need to establish that your engine and fuel system are ok before replacing expensive sensors etc. Also most emission based problems will only turn on the MIL after the system has performed a number of self tests known as drive cycles so it is possible for a dealer to hand you back your car with the MIL off only for it to turn on again in a number of days and then try to claim it as a different problem .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

All of the above, I've been googling and this is a definite issue with PSA group cars, trouble is the causes appear many and varied from low grade fuel to MAF sensor to air-pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

The MIL ( Malfunction indicator light ) is flashing because the ECM has detected a missfire . Its designed to flash when a missfire is detected to alert the driver to switch off the engine. Cats do not like raw unburnt fuel which is what they get when there is a continious missfire and if you continue driving and burn out the cat you will have an even more expensive repair. It really is shocking how many garages including main dealers do not know how to diagnose emission problems.There are so many thing or possibilities that are causing your problem but try and find somebody competent who will start at the begining with the basics, so many people jump in at the deep end with the lap top which by the way is not enough on its own because without a competent operator all you get is computer says no. I would recommend getting somebody to check the mechanicals such as static belt timing ,carry out a compression test , fuel pressure test etc.

cheers for that, it might be wort mentioning that the timing belt slipped last july, hope this is'nt related. is it advisable not to drive it with a missfire?

mike65 wrote: »
    All of the above, I've been googling and this is a definite issue with PSA group cars, trouble is the causes appear many and varied from low grade fuel to MAF sensor to air-pump.

the main dealer said that it could be an electrical proublem, a nipped wire or some thing, is that a possibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Timing belt slipped? well that would mean the ignition timing is not bang on, thats another potential cause. Did you have the problem before the slippage?

• Advertisement

You need to get them to check and confirm the bascics are ok first . Anything is possible I had a missfire problem that took 3 full days to sort out turned out to be a wire shorting as a result of an alarm installation.

mike65 wrote: »
    Timing belt slipped? well that would mean the ignition timing is not bang on, thats another potential cause. Did you have the problem before the slippage?

no not at all, was for service in june 08 slipped in july 08 no warning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Paragraphs, anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

no not at all, was for service in june 08 slipped in july 08 no warning

There's your problem so. Get the timing belt refitted.

Dartz wrote: »
    Paragraphs, anyone?

Is that ok !

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »
    There's your problem so. Get the timing belt refitted.

your right, just got it sorted :):):):)

Advertisement