Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Maternity Care

Options
  • 05-06-2009 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

I plan on going public through my whole pregnancy but I was just wondering if your partner is allowed in with you during all the labour and is he allowed to stay when the baby is born? If I am in a public room are there restrictions on visiting hours? I am concerned that if I have gas to even an epidural I won't be able to look after the baby alone. My friend had no feel in her legs for a day after an epidural and was delighted she had a private room so he husband could stay and help look after the baby.

Any advice to ease my mind?:o

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

janbaby
    Please read the Charter in each forum before posting.
    That way you will know if you have posted in the correct place.
    Moved form Help Desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Check wtih the hospital you are considering and ask what thier policy on visiting hours are.
    I know a few of them have thier policies up on thier websites.
    I had an epi with delievering both of mine and was up and walking with in 2/3 hours of each birth so it varies from person to person plus there are nurses on the ward which are there to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

The father of the baby is allowed in the hospital at all times, irrespective of visiting hours. Plus, as Thaedydal said, there will be nurses around all the time too, if you need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

janbaby wrote: »
    I plan on going public through my whole pregnancy but I was just wondering if your partner is allowed in with you during all the labour and is he allowed to stay when the baby is born? If I am in a public room are there restrictions on visiting hours? I am concerned that if I have gas to even an epidural I won't be able to look after the baby alone. My friend had no feel in her legs for a day after an epidural and was delighted she had a private room so he husband could stay and help look after the baby.

Any advice to ease my mind?:o

I had the epidural and the hosptial staff wouldn't allow me walk from the labour ward to the maternity ward but half an hour after i was settled on the ward i was able to get up and have a shower. It really depends on how you react to the epi and how much you get. I was given a hand pump which i could use every 15 mins to give more epi this resulted in me feeling completely paralysed! Everyone varies though, a friend of mine got the epi and it didn't work at all. The gas and air did absolutely nothing for me i didn't like it, yet i know some who swear by it.
    The visiting hours depend on the hospital but i've heard nearly all hospital's allow the other half or some other nominated person unrestricted visiting time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

In the Rotunda, fathers are only allowed between 8.30am and 9.30pm. I had my baby at 8.42 pm in the evening and my partner had to leave at around 11.30pm. I had a general anesthetic for my c section and the nurses were a great help to me... let me sleep it off and looked after baby that night!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shaz00

Hi, i've had my 2 boys in the coombe both by c section and the hours are strict enough but your partner gets a visiting card which allows them in early in the morning and between visiting hours, they do have to leave when night visitin hours end though. On your first night he will be allowed down to the ward with you for a while until you get settled. I have to say the staff were excellent on my two stays and i couldn't say a bad word against them. I couldn't walk until the 2nd day, couldn't even lift my baby from the cot for the first night but the nurses took him to the nursery and fed him for me and i just had to buzz them if i needed help.

Def ask on your next visit to the hospital what their policies are on hours etc. As i said had both my boys going private and don't regret it. Plus trust me girl you'll want a bit of alone time too with your new baby :)

Best of luck hope it all goes well for you and your partner

Advertisement