Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

male or female pup?

Options
  • 05-06-2009 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭

first of all im getting two staffordshire bull terriers.

i have a choice of three pups. 2 male and 1 female

what should i get?

could you tell me the advantages/disadvantages?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi there, i wouldnt recommend getting 2 pups from same litter at same time, theres a thing called Littermate syndrome where they tend to bond with each other rather than with their owner.

They can be much harder to train and so on if there are 2 pups in the hoursehold of the same age.
    I would recommend taking one then getting another maybe 6 or 8 months down the road.

As for male or female, really does depend on the individual, there are pro's and cons for both, personally i prefer the males, i have a rottie and theres big diff in males and females, size wise and looks and temperament.

If you get a female, unless you get her neutered she will be in heat every 6 months.
    An entire male dog too can be handful, i show my fella so i cant neuter him and you have to be careful around other entire males sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

thanks.

the reason why i was getting two is to keep each other company. so your suggesting getting 1 now and getting another later

apart from heat, what would be the biggest difference between male and female?

lets say i was to get a male now and a female in 6-9 months. would the male be ok with the new female? would there be much of a struggle to get them to be friendly with each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Hi,

It's also like putting all you're eggs in one basket with possible hereditary problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 clairem

Hi,

I have a staffy too - congrats on a great choice of dog :D

When we got our first pup I wanted to get two together to keep eachother company but I did a lot of research on the net and most people seemed to think it was a bad idea. Apparently when you get two pups together they can bond more closely with eachother then with you making them more difficult to train. They can also become too dependent on eachother so you're supposed to train and walk them separately and make them sleep apart to prevent this.

In the end we waited 9 months between our two pups and it has worked out well for us. Our first dog is a pug and our second is a staffy. The pug is a male and the staffy is female. They are the best of friends and we've never had any problems with them fighting or anything. I have found with our dogs that they always seem to get on better with dogs of the opposite sex so I would definitely advise getting one male and one female if you decide to get two.

Staffys are great dogs but they can be very boisterous and they do need a lot of exercise. They can chew through anything so don't waste your money on anything but the strongest toys or they'll be destroyed! We've found that kongs and nylabones are the only toys that last in our house so stock up on those!

Also I dont mean to preach but please neuter your pups when they are old enough. The pounds are literally teeming with healthy staffys that nobody seems to want. They seem to be one of the most difficult breeds to rehome and there are so many of them put down because of this.

Enjoy your new pup :D

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Hi,
    I agree with the abpve sentiments. Wait until one pup is a little older before getting the second. Also, if you put alot of time training the first one, the second one will pick it up mainly by imitating the older pup.

Also agree that a one of each would be better than two dogs or two bitches as it should help with any dominance issues.

Oh - pics please when you get it!:D

• Advertisement

cheers for the advice.

i reckon ill go for a beige coloured male in that case. in about 7 months ill have a look around the pounds for a female pup.

ive never even been in a pound to be honest, i was looking on there websites for any mention of staff pups but there was none

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Hi chrism,
    Heres a link to a 7 month old staffie that dogsindistress have for rehoming. She is gorgeous!
    http://dogsindistress.org/blog/?p=1369

Hi chrism,
    Heres a link to a 7 month old staffie that dogsindistress have for rehoming. She is gorgeous!
    http://dogsindistress.org/blog/?p=1369

that would be the perfect dog for me but....

i forgot to mention i need a pup because my girlfriend has a cat and if he ran away or anything because of a new dog id never forgive myself
    thanks for the suggestion though

edit - after looking throught that site i wish i could get a dog. some beauties on there :)

picture attached :)

3 weeks old

how long should i wait to get the pups? is it ok after 9 weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

chrism2007 wrote: »
    picture attached :)

3 weeks old

how long should i wait to get the pups? is it ok after 9 weeks?

9 weeks would be no prob with most breeds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement