Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastering a blocked up doorway?

Options
  • 05-06-2009 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I have converted an ensuite room in our house which means I had to take out the door and block it up with 4 inch blocks. No bother there. This means that I now need to plaster the new wall, something I have never done before. Can anyone give me some pointers in what I need to do? I would consider myself handy enough but I am not sure how to proceed with plastering i.e do I bond it first? Should I use browning or bonding plaster? Any general tips for plastering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭4400kevin

You will need two bags of gymsum bonding as a backing coat ,mix and coat the bonding leaving it a few mm behind the finished wall to allow for the skim coat ,edge it off with a piece of straight timber and then float with a polyfloat with nails to score the bonding for grip.I think it would be best to skim about 4 hours later just as soon as the bonding has set,now polybond around the outline to control suction and skim as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Do not use Bonding in a bathroom,any moisture and it will expand and blow off any tiles.Use the new plaster out now called "Basecoat Plaster",it's a sand and cement alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

I'd advise you to pay the money and get it done properly because if its not done right it will look **** when its painted and will stand out from the rest of the wall...

Advertisement