Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ladies who vote?

Options
  • 05-06-2009 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

Have you voted today?
    Will you be voting today?
    If not why not?

I'm about to head out the door with my kids to go vote, they have been nagging me :) and I was wondering how many of you ladies will be or have been.

And added in options for the lads, so no ones will be giving out I'm sexist :P

Have you/will you be voting? 99 votes

No, I don't vote (ladies)
    0%
    No, my vote is too far away in the 'family' home (ladies)
    1%
    EKRIUQ 1 vote
    No, I'm not on the register (ladies)
    10%
    Lia_liacoffee_cakespinandscribblesam34mental07Julyboosh_fanshellyboobanshee_bonesvalery 10 votes
    Yes, I have/will be voting (ladies)
    6%
    MaddisonGinnygiddybootzLadyEClare Bearm'lady 6 votes
    No, I don't vote (lads)
    75%
    The SweeperDas KittyNevynb3t4misswexrainbow kirbywasabiPythiaXineylemon_sherbertCathyMoranSthenoPisteAoibheannpanda100NightwishmarshmallowcuckooMalteaser!Larianne 75 votes
    No, my vote is too far away in the 'family' home (lads)
    3%
    Nervous WreckBlowfishminidazzler 3 votes
    No, I'm not on the register (lads)
    2%
    Mr. CooL ICEPermabear 2 votes
    Yes, I have/will be voting (lads)
    2%
    azezil[Deleted User] 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

My vote is in Donegal... so not taking a day off work to do it.

Am going to change my electoral area for the next one, was too late by the time I remembered this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

No, I don't vote (lads)
    Voted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

No, I don't vote (lads)
    Going to vote later. Still deciding who. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

No, I don't vote (lads)
    I'm working in Kilkenny and am going to spend weekend at bf's parents in Wexford - so I'm leaving work soon and driving home up to Wicklow to vote and drive back down to Wexford. Can I have a hero biscuit please? :D (not getting at you shellyboo btw - it's a long old road up to Donegal whereas my drive isn't too bad at all)

I have always voted since turning 18. I think it's very important. I feel entitled to give out about the government / town council / FF / whoever since I did my best and voted (usually for whoever isn't actually in power, but there you go).

One thing that annoyed me in the last general election was the vote being on a Thursday and thus preventing a lot of students who are away from home from voting. Cynical me believes that it was to disenfranchise people who would be less likely to vote FF.

No, I don't vote (lads)
    Why is family in inverted commas. :confused:

It is a bit of a lame excuse this time around. (Really remote peeps like Shellyboo aside.)
    It is a Friday and stations are open till 10.

Some polling station lady who wasn't old enough to be given the benefit of the doubt.
    Directed a "Good girl!" acclaimation my way for voting. *cringe*

• Advertisement

No, I don't vote (lads)
    Moonbaby wrote: »
    Some polling station lady who wasn't old enough to be given the benefit of the doubt.
    Directed a "Good girl!" acclaimation my way for voting. *cringe*

Haha I always get that too. I wonder is it cause we don't look like people who are normally interested in voting and therefore need extra encouragement when we do? It's an odd one.

Morgase wrote: »
    I'm working in Kilkenny and am going to spend weekend at bf's parents in Wexford - so I'm leaving work soon and driving home up to Wicklow to vote and drive back down to Wexford. Can I have a hero biscuit please? :D (not getting at you shellyboo btw - it's a long old road up to Donegal whereas my drive isn't too bad at all)

Also, I don't drive. And even if I left after work, I'd miss the polls. And I'm not taking a day's holidays to vote.

My reasons are multitude :)
    One thing that annoyed me in the last general election was the vote being on a Thursday and thus preventing a lot of students who are away from home from voting. Cynical me believes that it was to disenfranchise people who would be less likely to vote FF.

This *always* pissed me off. You can't get the postal vote if you're a student either.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭emollett

No, I don't vote (lads)
    Went and voted earlier. Went somewhat smoother than last time when it was the first time i had come across having to number people! (Am English, usually it's just a cross in a box).
    There being no postal votes here is ridiculous, the ammount of students not voting because they are registered at home must surely make a diffrence? Although i do wish many of them would register where they go to college if they are generally more likely to be there than home whenever a vote comes up.

emollett wrote: »
    Went and voted earlier. Went somewhat smoother than last time when it was the first time i had come across having to number people! (Am English, usually it's just a cross in a box).
    There being no postal votes here is ridiculous, the ammount of students not voting because they are registered at home must surely make a diffrence? Although i do wish many of them would register where they go to college if they are generally more likely to be there than home whenever a vote comes up.

But what about when they finish college? Change it back again? We shouldn't have to do that. Elections should be run on a Friday AND Saturday.

There are postal votes, but you have to be out of the country to get one.

No, I don't vote (lads)
    Although i do wish many of them would register where they go to college if they are generally more likely to be there than home whenever a vote comes up.

I can't speak for all students of course, but in my situation I moved around so much as a student that it was more practical to be registered at home.

• Advertisement

No, I don't vote (lads)
    Haha I always get that too. I wonder is it cause we don't look like people who are normally interested in voting and therefore need extra encouragement when we do? It's an odd one.

The Fine fáil plant thanked me....what does he think I look like!. :eek: :D
    Although i do wish many of them would register where they go to college if they are generally more likely to be there than home whenever a vote comes up.

I see who does what in my local constituancy. I wouldn't have an interest in voting away.

But my friends who didnt want to travel did get postal votes when they were in uni.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No, I don't vote (lads)
    I have always voted since turning 18. I think it's very important. I feel entitled to give out about the government / town council / FF / whoever since I did my best and voted (usually for whoever isn't actually in power, but there you go).

Same here, voted earlier after doing a round trip of 150 miles just to feckin vote, but it's very important to me that I as an individual take part in the whole process.

Yeah I remember in college having to go home to vote loads of times, it was a real pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Forgot to change my address and wasn't travelling all the way "home" to vote, if I could have even got there in time

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭emollett

No, I don't vote (lads)
    shellyboo wrote: »
    But what about when they finish college? Change it back again? We shouldn't have to do that. Elections should be run on a Friday AND Saturday.

There are postal votes, but you have to be out of the country to get one.

It's not all that hard, i've changed my registration several times since i've been here due to moving about Dublin. Not the best, but it can be done and is worth it for me, to have my vote.
    But ideally people would be able to get postal votes for where they consider their home, thats how it is done in the UK, you can just set up a postal vote even if you aren't out of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Holding elections and referenda on a Thursday is ridiculous. They should be on Sunday, in my opinion. It certainly works, turn-out wise, in other countries. For example: in the most recent French presidential elections, the turnout was 84% for both the first round and second round. Also if a voter knows in advance they are going to be away from their polling station on voting day, they can nominate someone to vote on their behalf.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I generally always vote, but I didn't today. Frankly, I couldn't even tell you who was in what party, and who's local or and MEP. Having been out of the country until a week ago, I don't know a thing, and I never got a chance to sit down and read about the candidates to make an informed decision. If I'd voted today, I may as well have just stabbed blindly at the ballot. I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't take the time to do the research, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

shellyboo wrote: »
    My vote is in Donegal... so not taking a day off work to do it.

Am going to change my electoral area for the next one, was too late by the time I remembered this time around.

Do it now in case you forget again! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I voted, voted in everything since I turned 18. I find it fairly sad how few people vote tbh. Though when I hear some people's logic for how they're going to vote I sometimes wonder if it would be better if even less people voted. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

No, I don't vote (lads)
    took time out from studying for the leaving to vote! was my first time, and I didn't really know the procedure but the people there we're very helpful! I feel so grown up!

No, I don't vote (lads)
    phic wrote: »
    took time out from studying for the leaving to vote! was my first time, and I didn't really know the procedure but the people there we're very helpful! I feel so grown up!

Fair play to you! Feck, now I'm as bad as the ones thanking me at the ballot box :o

Also as a matter of interest do you ladies make a conscious decision to vote for women? Say if there's two candidates who are very similar in what they are promising but one's male and the other's female? I have to admit I try to vote for women if their viewpoints coincide with mine, just to get a bit more female representation in the seats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

No, I'm not on the register (lads)
    This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Salome

No, I don't vote (lads)
    I voted at 8.00am before work this morning. It's very important to me that I use the vote - afterall, many people died to get me that vote so it's up to me that I make sure I use it. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No, I don't vote (lads)
    Voted this morning. I've voted in every election I've been able to, including pulling a sickie from work to vote on the Lisbon referendum (because I was still registered in Tallaght, but living in Lucan).
    Also as a matter of interest do you ladies make a conscious decision to vote for women? Say if there's two candidates who are very similar in what they are promising but one's male and the other's female? I have to admit I try to vote for women if their viewpoints coincide with mine, just to get a bit more female representation in the seats.
    I vote for the best candidate in my view - in general, regardless of gender. However if a male and female candidate were equal in ability, I'd be inclined to pick the female one.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bansheee

No, I don't vote (lads)
    Yes voted too. I believe it is our duty and should be mandatory :D

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

No, I don't vote (lads)
    phic wrote: »

me too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

No, I don't vote (lads)
    Voted in all 3 elections today. Woo, can't wait to see the results tomorrow, will be tallying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

I'm currently in the states but have voted in all the elections I could until I moved. My housemate said he looking into it and said we couldn't vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Yup voted this evening.
    Civic duty done for another while :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

No, I don't vote (lads)
    I voted at lunchtime and felt good about it too! I've yet to miss an election/referendum since I was 18. I've always made a point of travelling home to vote. Anyway I'm really looking forward to the counting tomorrow. I might head to the count centre to nosy in on the action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

bansheee wrote: »
    Yes voted too. I believe it is our duty and should be mandatory :D

Why?

Advertisement