Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you don't vote today people!

Options
  • 05-06-2009 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

Don't bother complaining about anything that goes wrong in the future. There's a friend of the family who always complains about the government so i always ask did she vote, which shuts her up because she never does. Vote or shut up complaining about things!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I agree completely. If you don't vote you lose the right to complain about the outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

in Galway station, heading back to Connemara to vote - travelled from Rotterdam in Holland to do this....

Please vote, and as Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam said - if you dont - let them put that on your f-ing headstone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Please vote - you may be too tired after work and start making up sh|t excuses not to - but be assured that the small-minded, closed-minded, religious-fundamental-nutjobs, Fianna Fail Failures and other undesirables will have been at the Polling Station since the crack of dawn to make their idiotic and stilted choices become your daily reality and misfortune !!!!!

- Democracy is too important a thing to just be left to the electorate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Just back from my polling station, and only 30% turnout :eek:. I would have thought it would have much higher, for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Its meant to have been slighty higher than the 59 % last time. At that i say SLIGHTLY! Oh well thats 40% anyway that cant complain. They'll be bored ****less!

• Advertisement

Just back from my polling station, and only 30% turnout :eek:. I would have thought it would have much higher, for a change.

bout 275 of 750 had voted at around half 7 when I went in.

edit: In whitehall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Don't bother complaining about anything that goes wrong in the future. There's a friend of the family who always complains about the government so i always ask did she vote, which shuts her up because she never does. Vote or shut up complaining about things!

No

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Macros42 wrote: »
    I agree completely. If you don't vote you lose the right to complain about the outcome.

No, you don't. But I think that people should give less weight to your complaints.

[What about people who voted the wrong way?]

No, you don't. But I think that people should give less weight to your complaints.

[What about people who voted the wrong way?]

Everyone makes mistakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Vote or shut up complaining about things!

if my only choice is between inept gob****e a, and inept gob****e b, and i decide to abstain i still think i'm quite entitled to complain. there's no one that i feel deserves my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

People who complain about no decent candidates rarely take enough interest in the political process. If they got involved maybe they could take part in the candidate selection process.

Nobody listens to people who only talk about problems without presenting any solutions.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm not clear how the right to vote and the right to freedom of expression are linked....

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

right. cause my concerns don't matter cause i didn't want to make a 4 hour round trip to vote to punish FF. i have no interest in local elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

DeVore wrote: »
    I'm not clear how the right to vote and the right to freedom of expression are linked....

DeV.

The right to vote is a freedom of expression and a pretty important one. It offers individuals a say in how the country is run.

I have no problem with people who dont wish to vote, its their choice and democracy wouldnt work if we forced people to vote.

We are all afforded the right to complain if we wish, but it achieves nothing if you dont back it up with actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Lets try it a different way.

If you don't vote you are free to complain , but I am free not to listen to you.

right. cause my concerns don't matter cause i didn't want to make a 4 hour round trip to vote to punish FF. i have no interest in local elections.

I drove 9 hours from the south of england(dorchester specifically) to be here for the vote. There was a person further up in the thread that came from Rotterdam. Your 4 hours is pitiless!

not much of an action if it's just a vote to punish the government.
    maybe a FF candidate in a council was the best choice but people voted against him/her because of the central government incompetencies.

jhegarty wrote: »
    If you don't vote you are free to complain , but I am free not to listen to you.

why?

i have no interest in local elections.
    I drove 9 hours from the south of england(dorchester specifically) to be here for the vote. There was a person further up in the thread that came from Rotterdam. Your 4 hours is pitiless!

(assuming)why vote for local elections (or even dail elections) if you don't live here?

shall i just blame the people who voted today when nothing improves rather than the government since i have no say :)

(assuming)why vote for local elections (or even dail elections) if you don't live here?

shall i just blame the people who voted today when nothing improves rather than the government since i have no say :)

I never said i wasn't living here. I was over in england working and came home early to vote.

Sure your parents voted with you in mind. Blame them

• Advertisement

I never said i wasn't living here. I was over in england working and came home early to vote.

Sure your parents voted with you in mind. Blame them

hence the assuming in previous post.

my parents vote for their own agenda. not mine.

my main reason for not voting is because i didn't know the candidates since i don't live there anymore - and i don't vote for parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Personally have no interest in talking about politics (international, national or local) with someone who hasn't been arsed researching those running properly or being too lazy to get out and go to the polls.

If you're unhappy with how things are in your local area, or the country or how we're represented in the EU and are given a chance to change it, and decide not to, then you should keep your mouth shut afterwards, simple as.

Funnily enough if we decided to bring in a system whereby those who continually pass on their votes are no longer entitled to one, I bet they'd be out in their hoardes at the polls.

Low turnouts are quite typical of us Irish though, all talk and no action and that is why our country is where it is today.

hence the assuming in previous post.

my parents vote for their own agenda. not mine.

my main reason for not voting is because i didn't know the candidates since i don't live there anymore - and i don't vote for parties.

Ha change your residency, you'd swear you had mountains to climb to be able to vote. You have no excuse

Rb wrote: »
    If you're unhappy with how things are in your local area, or the country or how we're represented in the EU and are given a chance to change it.

my point was that i haven't been given that chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Everyone should vote, even people who don't know anything about politics and are just voting randomly. That's proper democracy.

my point was that i haven't been given that chance.

If your not happy with the current selection of canditates but want your voice heard then run yourself. There's always another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

not much of an action if it's just a vote to punish the government.
    maybe a FF candidate in a council was the best choice but people voted against him/her because of the central government incompetencies.

Fair enough, but I'm pretty sure that at the last local elections, every Fianna Fail candidate in the country was crowing about the success that Fianna Fail had brought to the country, the Celtic Tiger etc and seeking to take advantage of this success to gather votes at a local level. So if it was okay then for local Fianna Fail politicians to claim credit for national economic success they attribute to the Fianna Fail led government during the boom, then surely when a Fianna Fail led government leads us into the worst economic mess since the 1930's, it is reasonable enough for the voter to punish these self same representatives of the main party in government. It stands to reason that if you claim credit for the boom, you'll get blamed for the bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭HAPPYGIRL

if my only choice is between inept gob****e a, and inept gob****e b, and i decide to abstain i still think i'm quite entitled to complain. there's no one that i feel deserves my vote.

No you are not entitled to complain. What you should do in those circumstances is get informed, examine their policies and priorities and decide who is the lesser gob****e. Then vote for them and keep the bigger gob****e out hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I think you meant pitiful Bobby and if the people here got the text about your voting intentions that I got you would't be a popular person.

Whoever said the FF vote would be out in force and making an effort wasn't far wrong;)

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    I think you meant pitiful Bobby and if the people here got the text about your voting intentions that I got you would't be a popular person.

Whoever said the FF vote would be out in force and making an effort wasn't far wrong;)

Ninty9er i doubt you were very popular over the last week knocking on peoples doors!! I'm a closet one...you openly wear the t-shirt!

Advertisement