Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Scirocco

• 05-06-2009 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Booked a test drive for a Scirocco 2.0 TSi Petrol for Monday as im very interested in getting one. Dont have any interest in Golf GTi's, for similar money I would take the Scirocco everyday.

Just wondeing has anybody driven/owned one and any kind of feedback would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

gavredking wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Booked a test drive for a Scirocco 2.0 TSi Petrol for Monday as im very interested in getting one. Dont have any interest in Golf GTi's, for similar money I would take the Scirocco everyday.

Just wondeing has anybody driven/owned one and any kind of feedback would be appreciated.

I havent driven one yet, but i do have a 2.0TDi 140bhp due to land here next week, so that'l be my next review!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I havent driven one yet, but i do have a 2.0TDi 140bhp due to land here next week, so that'l be my next review!

Cheers, looking forward to it, never had a VAG, currently got a 01 Celica VVTi 190 and would be trading that against it, dealer was interested in looking at it anyway so if i could part with that it would make getting the Scirocco alot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

A friend had one in white the other weekend, but was too mean to let me have the keys to take it for a blast.

You know who you are................;)

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭UhOh

I havent even seen a Scirocco on the roads yet. The hot one out in a few months looks nice, the Scirocco R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Never driven one but they do look great, saw a green one today though...terrible looking! I know a fella that bought a new 1.4 TSi one and loves it, haven't seen it yet but he said its grand and nippy so i'd say the 2L one will be great.

And I read a thing in Car mag last year, they put the new coupes against each other, Scirocco, newer model RX8 and a few others and the Scirocco won

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Ive seen a few around. I think they look awful, but they are supposed to be a very good drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

I had a friend give it a good review but it wasnt a real road test
    http://www.rent-racecar.de/gb/

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

have seen a few around now, they are nice but bit dissapointed in them tbh, the are wide and low but very small and hatchbacky looking rather than coupe looking. personally don't think they are going to age well, reminds me of the fiat bravo, back when 'o' meant 3 door and brava was the 5 door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I liked 'em when I saw the first previews in CAR (very like that Reliant coupe/estate thing from the '70s) but as soon as they hit the road I thought they were a bit bloated and poser-y. I have an in-built aversion to VAG products and to cheap flashy coupes as well though so I'm prejudiced.

They do seem to be more a blokes car - haven't seen the stereotypical peroxide blonde driving one yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I think its very much a unisex car, macho enough for the lads yet pretty enough for the girls. Best of luck with the test drive, let us know what you think of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I'm a fan of them except for the fact that they ride so high, It looks awful with anything below 18" and even then it looks very 4x4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I think they are a great looking car from 3 sides but I just couldnt live with that fat a$$...:D

Read quite a few reviews in mags and they are supposed to be the biz to drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

pburns wrote: »
    They do seem to be more a blokes car - haven't seen the stereotypical peroxide blonde driving one yet...
    I see one driving a 09 white one everyday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Cañitas

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Never driven one but they do look great, saw a green one today though...terrible looking! I know a fella that bought a new 1.4 TSi one and loves it

That would be my choice aswell... the 1.4 has a turbo and a supercharger and returns 44mpg.....sweet....mate that with the dsg( 7 ratios!) and u got urself a good resellable car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

R.O.R wrote: »
    A friend had one in white the other weekend, but was too mean to let me have the keys to take it for a blast.

You know who you are................;)

I've seen that guy too, what a dork!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Its a smashing looking car, I'd put my money in a R32 however.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 daaft

gavredking wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Good looker alright, tried one last Dec/Jan when just out but went for the 3 door Kia Pro Ceed to get the USB connection the Sirroco didn't have. Liked the new renault coupe also.... But am delighted with the Kia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

daaft wrote: »
    Good looker alright, tried one last Dec/Jan when just out but went for the 3 door Kia Pro Ceed to get the USB connection the Sirroco didn't have.

You bought a car for a USB connection? :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

unkel wrote: »
    You bought a car for a USB connection? :eek:

no, it was a kia. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Just to keep me dreaming can anyone tell me the price range from entry level to what Id really like please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

starting at 27675 plus charges for a 122bhp 1.4 TSI ranging to 36675 for a 2.0 TSI with the DSG box.

Certainly on my "new cars under 30k" list

colm_mcm wrote: »
    starting at 27675 plus charges for a 122bhp 1.4 TSI ranging to 36675 for a 2.0 TSI with the DSG box.

Certainly on my "new cars under 30k" list
    Thanks Colm, we will soon need to change the car and when I met my wife I had the old model gti sirocco in black and I have not had a better car since. I traded it in for a fista xr2i and have kicked myself ever since. So for 37000 I could be back where I started with a nice car no woman (she would leave because she thinks money is for other stuff) and 20 years older. Hmmm not sure but I tempted.:D:D

to be fair, the one for 27k would be plenty fast if you came out of a 1.6 GT :)

you could use the remaining 10 odd grand to convince the other half not to pack her bags!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Haven't seen one in the flesh but if the pics are anything to go by - white is the way to go

The what now 10 grand left over? Im afraid mister bank manger has no idea of my plans yet.:rolleyes:

Pearlescent white for sure.

O.A.P: 10k is far cheaper than a divorce

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Pearlescent white for sure.

O.A.P: 10k is far cheaper than a divorce
    The white looks good yes but Id go for black with red leather . If I manage to sell her the idea of a new sirocco then divorce is not going to happen. Its trying to sell it with out doors getting slamed that could be tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭UhOh

saw my first one this morning, navy 2.0 TSI. Looks nice in the flesh. I'd definitely have one over a Golf GTI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I have the 1.4tsi 122 bhp - salsa red. Wanted white but not in stock. Have it two weeks now and I absolutely love it. It is powerful enough and good on petrol. A friend of mine got the 140 BHP DSG 1.4 version - again a lovely drive, but heavier on juice.

As a tester for a week or so, I got my hands on the Candy White (it is not a perlescent white) 2.0l petrol DSG - absolutely fabulous car to drive especially when the turbo kicks in - however, it would pass anything - except a petrol station.

Sorry to disappoint you blokes on here - they are more popular with women!

Overall, lovely car, very well finished, classy looking - rear view not great (window quite small)- however, the mirrors are very wide and this helps with visibility.

I love mine and the fact that it is still a bit rare at the minute - hope everyone does not start getting one!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

anewme wrote: »
    Sorry to disappoint you blokes on here - they are more popular with women!

I've seen loads of them, and only one driven by a woman. And that one was dayyyzil:rolleyes::P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I seen a black 2.0 TDi parked down the road from me. Looks pretty sweet from the front and the side, but I'm not gone on the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Mad, I assumed they were all two litre with the turbo, like the GTi... Did the original Scirocco come with all sorts of engine choices?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Go to the UK and get something like this. About €33k all in (including VRT) and thats fully loaded.

13946659_M_429.jpg

2008 VOLKSWAGEN SCIROCCO 2.0 TSI GT 3dr DSG COUPE

9,000 miles,

Metallic Silver
    Autovogue AVR full conversion - including complete front apron R8 style with integral large air ducts and sideskirt set, full body colour coding, lowered 30mm and uprated sport suspenion, Autovogue 19 AV III multispoke anthracite centered light alloy wheels,

High performance tyres, sun protection glass, full black leather, heated front seats, sport seats, dual climate control, multifunction sport steering wheel with paddle shift gearbox selection, touch screen Audio system MP3, Ipod and SD card reader connectivity with CD, front armrest, aluminium inlays, winter pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Robertr wrote: »
    Autovogue AVR full conversion - including complete front apron R8 style with integral large air ducts and sideskirt set, full body colour coding, lowered 30mm and uprated sport suspenion, Autovogue 19 AV III multispoke anthracite centered light alloy wheels,

but how much would it cost to get all these horrible mods put right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Flat2dmat

Avoid!know a friend of a friend who paid 38k for top range one and has had nothing but trouble with it. Turns out the boot won't open unless it's above 4 degrees.VW have told him there's nothing they can do about it,it's the way it's made.so mayb u want to buy one if you live somewhere sunny and never want to park in a multi storey,but otherwise it kinda makes it a waste of money in my eyes anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I see a white one around Kilkenny fairly regularly, I think it looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Flat2dmat wrote: »
    Avoid!know a friend of a friend who paid 38k for top range one and has had nothing but trouble with it. Turns out the boot won't open unless it's above 4 degrees.VW have told him there's nothing they can do about it,it's the way it's made.so mayb u want to buy one if you live somewhere sunny and never want to park in a multi storey,but otherwise it kinda makes it a waste of money in my eyes anyway!

Like all Volkswagens of the last 10 years then - caution! You may get a working model! :D

Biro wrote: »
    caution! You may get a working model! :D

Like all makes and models, there's always a friend of a friend down the pub who bought that exact model only to have it jump into a ditch and explode for no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I seriously cant accept that as truth. Low temps are rare here, but what about the Nordic countries, central Europe and the forthcoming US release? Why, technically, would it not open in lowish temps? Your friend is either full of it or was fobbed off (successfully..) by the garage.

Also, whats the multistory carpark to do with it?

PS: For the record, I think it looks androgynous enough that either sex could drive it without fear of social rejection.. Colour and wheel choice are the only way to tip it one side or another.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Low temps are rare here, but what about the Nordic countries, central Europe and the forthcoming US release?

Why would the Scirocco have a different boot lock from the Golf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I've seen a few around the place, thought they were very nice.
    Would definitely buy one ahead of a Golf.
    Obv wouldn't even consider the possibility until the R comes out though :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Zube wrote: »
    Why would the Scirocco have a different boot lock from the Golf?

Why are you asking me?! Im asking Flat2dmat to substantiate some "alarming" claims.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Why are you asking me?! Im asking Flat2dmat to substantiate some "alarming" claims.

It's actually a friend of a friend of Flat2dmat who told the story, and if you ever found him, it would actually be his granny's friend's brother's Capri which wouldn't unlock if the weather was above 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Flat2dmat

They said someth about a new hydraulic system in the boot,that doesn't work in the cold weather.mayb it's only in certain models so mayb just watch out for the dodgy ones.i mentioned multistories because they'd b cooler in general.personally i'd avoid this model based on his numerous problems with it.he's considering getting solicitors involved as he's getting nowhere with particular garage.
    I was just warning ye that if you do spend out big on this car,ye could possibly get same problem.
    Not so alarming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Zube wrote: »
    Like all makes and models, there's always a friend of a friend down the pub who bought that exact model only to have it jump into a ditch and explode for no reason.

Lighten up, it was a joke!
    But I don't need a friend of a friend to tell me about a niggley VW problem. They exist in abundence. However a problem with a boot latch wouldn't put me off the car. You have a warranty, buy it and get it fixed when something breaks. Simple as that!

There is a point there all the same - the Scirocco seems to have an issue with reliability - i know of two 09's in a workshop somewhere with two different issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

There is a point there all the same - the Scirocco seems to have an issue with reliability - i know of two 09's in a workshop somewhere with two different issues.

To paraphrase the '80s advertising slogan - If only everything in life were as unreliable as a Volkswagen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Urban legend. So not true.

I got to drive one yesterday.

2.0TDi, in Grey - not sure of the exact colour name.
    It drives similar to a Golf, but a bit sharper in the corners. The 2.0 daysil engine is well able to pull the car along, its not exactly slow. One thing i would point out, is if you push it too hard, the back end gets very light, as i nearly found out the hard way.

Seats were nice and comfortable, the roof seemed a little low to the front, causing the car to feel claustrophobic and cramped, but you do get used to it.

Same steering wheel as the Golf GTI (i think). Its a nice wheel, easy to find a comfortable driving position.

Very nice machine all round, i must admit.

But, and its a big but, as its been pointed out here a few times, i think it is a car for the women. Alot of people said it to me yesterday. If you really want one, i wouldnt let it put you off it tho.

Looked like this one -
    sheehycarlow128272222466A.jpg

The steering wheel i was talking about -
    CB4_1386827_3_1436623.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

saw my first one this evening on the M50. It merged in front of me and all I could think of looking at the back of it was 'Vovlo c30' (which I like btw)

• Advertisement
Advertisement