Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The hunt for Jasper - a gamers tale

• 05-06-2009 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I waited in line on launch day eager to get a fancy new XBox 360 all the way back in 2005. After 10 replacements from MS over the following year (I have the proof) I got fed up and sold it.

18 months ago I bought the mythical 60gb PS3 with backwards compatibilty and memory card slots, thought it was the biz until I tried to find a decent game for it. Great media player, not so good games machine.

I heard about the "Jasper" unit XB360 and have been searching for one for a while. I thought the Arcade boxes in the local store might have been Jasper's but upon closer inspection this evening I found to my disappointment they aren't :(

Then I looked at the boxes next to them, they're not marked as "Pro" but as "Limited Edition" and found they were all "Jasper's" :D

I'm hoping MS don't let me down this time and I can't wait to get a copy of GOW again ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Wow, I had a much easier time getting a Jasper!
    I went into Gamestop in April, during their "300 games worth €30" trade in offer, and managed to get a Jasper for €2 on top of the traded in games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I knew you'd go crawling back to a 360 Ktric! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I knew you'd go crawling back to a 360 Ktric! :p

I know , I know

I'm soo f*cking transparent its unreal :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Judging by the power cable pictures here I got a Jasper with the trade in thing too. 60gb version though.

identifying.jpg

That's the one. Just unpacked it and updating the firmware now. It's nosier than the PS3 and I think they usually quieten down after a couple of days. I plugged in my 64mb mem card with my old profile and I was straight online, after not using it for 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭GBX

KTRIC wrote: »
    That's the one. Just unpacked it and updating the firmware now. It's nosier than the PS3 and I think they usually quieten down after a couple of days. I plugged in my 64mb mem card with my old profile and I was straight online, after not using it for 2 years.

The noise will get a lot quieter when you install your chosen games to the HD and play from there. You still need the disc in when playing.

GBX wrote: »
    The noise will get a lot quieter when you install your chosen games to the HD and play from there. You still need the disc in when playing.

I can do what now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I can do what now ?

Aye you can install games to the hard drive but you need to keep the disk in the drive for verification. Not sure how ye do it but ye can. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I can do what now ?

When you update your machine with whatever is available. Insert your favourite game and on the home screen where it shows "My Xbox" enter and click on the game pic. It should give you the option the to "play from disc" or "install to harddrive". Will take up a bit of space on your HD and take about 5-10 mins to install. But when your finished, you can then play from the HD while the disc is in the drive, and have a much quieter gaming experience.

Guide here http://www.examiner.com/x-544-Games-Examiner~y2008m11d19-How-to-install-Xbox-360-games-to-the-hard-drive

Thanks guys, looks like a lot to see and do. I'm so surprised how much things have changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I give it a year before that console breaks as well.

Run into a little problem, my gamertag is associated with an old email adress I no longer have acess to. To change the adress I need the password which I don't remember. Any ideas ? Apart from calling MS ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

dont worry about it. My gamertag is from an email I cant remember...its not a big deal.

Kirby wrote: »
    dont worry about it. My gamertag is from an email I cant remember...its not a big deal.

No big deal, Id still like to change it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Does this mean that the Arcade consoles on the market at the moment arent jaspers? I was hoping to pick one up as my xbox is crocked at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd say a good percentage of them are.
    The easiest way to tell is to look through the little hole in the top of the box, and you should be able to see the Amps that it runs at.
    xbox-360-jasper-12v-rail.jpg
    The Jasper models are 12.1A

Advertisement