Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD making a Mistake in my grade? Likley?

Options
  • 05-06-2009 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Hi guys just got back my results, Not bad overall but its showing an E(C) for a subject I know I done quite well in. Its showing 0% for the final written. I was quite confident I got an A in that exam.
    Is it likley UCD just made a mistake?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Sounds like it.

I didn't think "Pass by compensations: E(C)" were displayed in provisional results?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

dyl10 wrote: »
    Sounds like it.

I didn't think "Pass by compensations: E(C)" were displayed in provisional results?

They where, Its wierd I talked to friends who also done the exam they both got an A+. I know I done well in the exam. E-mail'd the lecturer but I know Im going to be left waiting till atleast Monday :( I want my A!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

Definitely contact the Module Coordinator on Monday. If you thought you did really well in the exam, then a zero makes no sense. You'd be getting at least SOME marks for it!! It sounds like that the exam grade wasn't included in your final result, so let the Module Coordinator know so they can double check that they received the exam and the grade was included.

taz70 wrote: »
    Definitely contact the Module Coordinator on Monday. If you thought you did really well in the exam, then a zero makes no sense. You'd be getting at least SOME marks for it!! It sounds like that the exam grade wasn't included in your final result, so let the Module Coordinator know so they can double check that they received the exam and the grade was included.

Thats what I was thinking. It would not be possible for me get 0 to be honest. I know I sound slightly smug about it but I know for sure I got atleast an A. It was one of those few exams where you walk in, look at the paper and remember everything. :pac:
    Even if for some strange reason I done badly (which I didnt :p) I dont even think its possible to get 0 When you answer every question well! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Sounds a bit alarming to me. 0%? Sounds like they lost your paper.

• Advertisement

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Sounds a bit alarming to me. 0%? Sounds like they lost your paper.

What would happen if they did infact lose my paper? I signed the thing in the exam to say I handed it up. They better not cheat me out of my A thats what I'm fearing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

TDOie wrote: »
    What would happen if they did infact lose my paper? I signed the thing in the exam to say I handed it up. They better not cheat me out of my A thats what I'm fearing :(

From my own experience in trying to get justice from UCD they make it as difficult as possible.

But as you said you signed the paper to say you handed it up so that's a good thing. That should prove you handed a paper up, which would totally go against getting 0%. You would have least got something.

Don't worry, I'm sure it will be sorted.:)

Thanks for the help :)

I'll let you guys know the outcome incase any of you are curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

I doubt they lost the paper - more like the result was never entered. Don't stress about it until you know for certain. There really is a good paper trail with exam scripts to prove that you were there etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Contact them.... a good few of us in my class failed to have one of our continuous assessment included in our marks - bringing down my mark by over a grade! That happened at Christmas.

We contacted the course co-ordinator and it got sorted fairly quickly.... however it did take some persuasion... so don't give up.

If all else fails you can request a recheck!

• Advertisement

Yeah, The weighting of the suspected not included part is 60% so its bringing me down by more than a grade :P :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭kdak

good luck anyway! its prob a mix up, you'll get your A eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Goonerette

Yeah, The weighting of the suspected not included part is 60% so its bringing me down by more than a grade :P :pac:
    A similar thing happened to me in first year. They misplaced my essay for one of the modules which brought my overall grade down to a D because the essay mark was showing up as NG. :eek: After much needless panic and stress, I called the module coordinator and it was sorted out. It did take a month or so for UCD bureaucracy to enter the correct grade, though. :rolleyes: Don't stress about it, though. The fact that you got 0% suggests they simply failed to enter your A. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 blueblue

Maye you plagarised and they had to fail you?

blueblue wrote: »
    Maye you plagarised and they had to fail you?

I didnt Plagarise and plagarising a 1hr written exam in exam situations? :P even if they suspected such things wouldnt they inform me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 frenchtoast

My friends brother told me before they lost a his paper and gave them 0% after alot of arguing the ended up giving him the class average as his grade.

one of my results was well below what i was expecting. whats the procedure? do i have to wait until the final results are issued before contesting a grade?

My friends brother told me before they lost a his paper and gave them 0% after alot of arguing the ended up giving him the class average as his grade.

one of my results was well below what i was expecting. whats the procedure? do i have to wait until the final results are issued before contesting a grade?

If thats the case I'd argue for a free repeat. I know I done better than the class average and losing Marks in what is ur favourite and best module would be soo annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 beautifulmeath

The exact same thing happened to me...and like that i expected at least a B+ but reckond i'd gotten an A. I'm phoning them first thing in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Who should you get on to if you're not happy with a result? I emailed one of my lecturers about one, and there's another result I'm not too happy about as well, I might email the lecturer about that today some time. It's a bit funny this year considering all the info on the ucd site relates to the final results, so we're kind of in limbo with these provisional ones. I'd say the student desk is going to inundated with phone calls today!

El Siglo wrote: »
    Who should you get on to if you're not happy with a result? I emailed one of my lecturers about one, and there's another result I'm not too happy about as well, I might email the lecturer about that today some time. It's a bit funny this year considering all the info on the ucd site relates to the final results, so we're kind of in limbo with these provisional ones. I'd say the student desk is going to inundated with phone calls today!

Well I e-mailed my lecturer thankfully he's a nice guy and the Module coordinator and he likes me :D so he should be helpfull enough with the mix up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Twix44

happened to me in first year, and the results weren't provisional then. I emailed the lecturer and within 2 hours he emailed meback saying there had been a mistake. went from an f to a b+. So I'd say email lecturer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Is it likley UCD just made a mistake?

I don't have the best opinion of UCD anymore, based on my experiences.

If you're questioning the likelihood of someone making a mistake, particularly where your academic record is concerned, I'd imagine you're probably fairly close to the truth.

Blush_01 wrote: »
    I don't have the best opinion of UCD anymore, based on my experiences.

If you're questioning the likelihood of someone making a mistake, particularly where your academic record is concerned, I'd imagine you're probably fairly close to the truth.

Yeah, Well I've e-mailed the module co-ord and no reply. Im just going to wait on the finals to be released and hope they've found the mistake and fixed it themself. If not I'll appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

10 days and no reply?!?!

You are a very patient person. I'd have sent several angry e-mails by now. :pac:

10 days and no reply?!?!

You are a very patient person. I'd have sent several angry e-mails by now. :pac:

Well, I have to put up with these people for the next 3 years so I sapose I should be patient :P . It'll get sorted eventually plus by the time the final results come out I have reason to be angry :pac: I think I'll be going out to belfield if theres no reply by then!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Well, I have to put up with these people for the next 3 years so I sapose I should be patient :P . It'll get sorted eventually plus by the time the final results come out I have reason to be angry :pac: I think I'll be going out to belfield if theres no reply by then!

No, you should not be patient. They have omitted your grade. You should be the opposite of patient. The squeaky wheel gets the oil first, and that's particularly true with UCD. I was relaxed about things, figuring they'd be sorted out simply enough, that I shouldn't push things. It took 18 months to resolve the issue.

My advice, for what it's worth, would be that you shouldn't make a nuisance of yourself or be overly aggressive, but be assertive. You don't want to appear like you don't care either. These are your grades, and they're especially important at the moment - let them know that you're determined and interested enough not to let things slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

there is no point in losing the head now you should wait until the final results are released on the 18th for all you know things will be resolved by then, unless you have no grade for something you sat, in which case you should lose the head :D

Just an update for any of you wondering , my E(C) went up to an A in finals :) , Not an A+ :( But as I suspected they made a mistake :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I have one subject where I was marked a low D on the exam, and the exam was 90% of the score, and that is way off. I had a couple of problems on the exam - mostly my inability to flawlessly recall dozens of arbitrary formulae and "fudge factors" - but even with that, I reckon it should be a B. It's a Civil Engineering subject, and I received an email about the script viewing procedure, without asking - as if they could tell I was going to question this one. You have to get a form from the school office today and fill it in by next week.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 frenchtoast

by any chance was it structural analysis with spanish?

Advertisement