Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you revise 4 poets...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Bishop's my favourite, I really hope she comes up. Apart from that Keats and Longley. If Keats comes up I'll be equally happy.

I really liked Larkin, too, we did him in fifth year, but he came up on last year's exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

My highly elaborate and fantastical theory is that they're not going to put huge suprises on the paper (i.e. that the favourites will still be on it).

I also think things may be marked easier this year. Not just in English, but in most subjects.

My reasoning? Recession. Possible college fees. The government undoubtedly don't want people not getting into college; they don't want people on the dole. I think that they want to get as many people into college as possible. That way, if they reintroduce fees, they'll be metaphorically rolling in cash.

I did say this was highly fantastical. But, I like to think that it's true.

P.S. I'm only doing Keats (although I did Larkin last year). So, preeeeetty big gamble for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Im gonna do Mahon, Longley, Montague, Rich and probably have to look over Bishop just in case she comes up with the poets i've never done

3 Irish poets? Good thinking. They'll probably put one of them up and a woman, so you're well covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

My highly elaborate and fantastical theory is that they're not going to put huge suprises on the paper (i.e. that the favourites will still be on it).

I also think things may be marked easier this year. Not just in English, but in most subjects.

My reasoning? Recession. Possible college fees. The government undoubtedly don't want people not getting into college; they don't want people on the dole. I think that they want to get as many people into college as possible. That way, if they reintroduce fees, they'll be metaphorically rolling in cash.

I did say this was highly fantastical. But, I like to think that it's true.

P.S. I'm only doing Keats (although I did Larkin last year). So, preeeeetty big gamble for me.

But no matter what points people get there are still the same amount of college places. Would it make any difference if people got higher points?

• Advertisement

But no matter what points people get there are still the same amount of college places. Would it make any difference if people got higher points?

Yah, you're right about that.

There goes my fancy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Can I get a WALCOTT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭KokaNoodles

This post has been deleted.
    Apparently they're kindred spirits, who wuda guessed it :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭KokaNoodles

Can I get a WALCOTT?
    no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Can I get a WALCOTT?

Most certainly. I hope hope HOPE he comes up. I've Bishop and Keats prepared too, and I could probably do a really half assed essay on Longley if necessary. I really don't want to have to discuss Keats. Did him in the mock=total disaster. He's completely unmanageable!

I'd actually love it in a way if all the poets from last year and Montague came up, in a way. I'd do badly, but the mass rioting as a result would be pretty damn hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Cant believe tbe fuss on the poets...Im looking for a high grade and Know biishop and 4 of her poems inside out...If she doesnt come up? just waffle and give a personal response on the other poets with no qoutes or anything and you could still get 20 ish marks out of 50 sure 5 marks go for mechanics! the stress about 20 ish marks which is about 5% of the paper! important but THIS importan..no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ramey

Just Bishop for me, confident they're going to be same poets, maybe one switched, but not a big poet like Bishop.. Now I could, go and learn Rich... But that would be time I don't have, so Bishop it is! Bit of a shame really, I'll be kicking myself if she doesn't come up..

I can see her right there though turnpage-> HI BISHOPPP :pac:. So realistically, I'm not too bothered. But reading that everyone else is doing 3+ poets makes me a bit nervous. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

1fahy4 wrote: »
    In all fairness, try to imagine a paper with the following coming up:

Rich
    Mahon
    Larkin
    Montague

... It simply ain't gonna happen.

To be honest, After the whole leaked paper thing, If the replacement paper was that their would be war, If that happened I wouldnt want to be Joe Duffy after it, His poor show would just get bombarded lol:pac:

Oh as for myself im doing Walcott and Montague as a backup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Keats.

If they don't put up a poet THAT good, I shall be repeating.;)

Advertisement