Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Island Records Night on BBC4

Options
  • 05-06-2009 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Chris Blackwells legendary "not quite an indy or major" label which among others signed Bad Company, The Chieftains, Brian Eno, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, The Isley Brothers, Jethro Tull, Bob Marley, Robert Palmer Roxy Music Traffic U2 and Steve Winwood is profiled at 9 pm with Island at the BBC featuring live performances from Cat Stevens, Roxy Music, Bob Marley, Steel Pulse, U2, PJ Harvey and Amy Winehouse follows at 10.30.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Cheers mike, i'm away at the moment but will def try and find this when i get back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

An enjoyable spin through half a century! Forgotten just how many fine bands they signed directly or through licencing agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

King Crimson, Dr Strangely Strange, Nick Drake, Jethro Tull, Traffic, Fairport Convention, etc etc, for me the best record label until they signed U2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Sparks' Kimono My House and Propaganda, both 1974, also among the greatest albums on the label.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Crackin night in was had watchin BBC4's run through the ages. Really enjoyed it!

Advertisement