Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live Election Coverage on Sligo Local Authorities' Websites

Options
  • 05-06-2009 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Folks

Just saw this on the sligo county councl website (www.sligococo.ie)

Sligo Local Authorities aim to have the country’s most comprehensive local election information available on-line directly from the count centres. Results will be posted on the Sligo Local Authorities’ websites, www.sligoborough.ie and www.sligococo.ie. Updates and information, including full details of each stage of the count, will be posted on the websites as soon as they are announced by the Returning Officers at the count centres in MCR Hall (Borough Council) and the Clarion (County Council).

A webcam facility will be in place in the Clarion to enable people see live developments throughout the day, and aficionados of the ‘twitter’ phenomenon will also be accommodated on the websites.

The local elections information service will be very useful for people wishing to stay in regular touch with their local count, and will be welcomed especially by the many Sligo people living abroad who want to be kept up to date with elections news from home.

Once the first results are available on Saturday 6th June, people can access the elections coverage very simply on the following links:

www.sligoborough.ie/election2009/

www.sligococo.ie/election2009/

People can follow through on these links for more detailed count information on each electoral area in the borough and county, for example http://sligoborough.ie/northward/

The twitter link is:
    http://twitter.com/sligococo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Fair play Sligo Co. Co., it's a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

The theory is fine but the practice is different.

As at 1.40pm the webcam is not working and there are no tallies available. OceanFM and the Sligo Champion have run and updated tallies since 10am.

Let's hope the actual count is covered properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Charlie Bird here, with the results for Sligo.....

* Total Seats: 25
    * Seats Filled: 25
    * Seats Remaining: 0
    * Voter Turnout: 65.8%

Fine Gael = 12 seats
    Fianna Fail = 7 seats
    Independants = 3 seats
    Labour = 2 seats
    Sinn Fein = 1 seat

Good result for Fine Geal... I'm surprised though by the low voter turn-out - people who don't vote should be struck off the voting register. And though FF took a bit of a hammering, it's baffling to see that they got 26% of the vote. Anyone who voted for them should also be struck off the register in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

In terms of the turnout, looking at the RTE results at a glance, the sligo area seemed to be higher than other parts of the country

again to turn out and related to striking people of the register i do think that the register can be inaccurate, conclusion for this is my own family home, before i moved my vote, 5 or 6 polling cards would come for only 3 people, cards would differ by either having name or address down differntly, have heard this for other people i know as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cork4ever

The theory is fine but the practice is different.

As at 1.40pm the webcam is not working and there are no tallies available. OceanFM and the Sligo Champion have run and updated tallies since 10am.

Let's hope the actual count is covered properly.

Well it looks like you know little about elections and even less about technology

At 1.40pm the Court services still had the count center, so the coco people where not setup as they didn't have the room

the tallies are unoffical and if you knew anthing you would know the Offical count people could not have anything to do with them.

I was at the count and it was great to have the laptop to look at the offical figures, they had them on the web just after the returning officer announced which is fairly good

and of course the webcam might not have worked from time to time or maybe it was your pc, there are about a number of reasons it might not have worked for you, it worked for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Your a FF candidate aren't you! With an attitude like that, you'd fit right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'd appreciate it if future posts were less condescending, Cork4ever.

Ta.

Xiney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Cork4ever wrote: »
    Well it looks like you know little about elections and even less about technology

At 1.40pm the Court services still had the count center, so the coco people where not setup as they didn't have the room

the tallies are unoffical and if you knew anthing you would know the Offical count people could not have anything to do with them.

I was at the count and it was great to have the laptop to look at the offical figures, they had them on the web just after the returning officer announced which is fairly good

and of course the webcam might not have worked from time to time or maybe it was your pc, there are about a number of reasons it might not have worked for you, it worked for me

My guess is that this person is a disgruntled FF'r who's a tad annoyed with the outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Jabby wrote: »
    My guess is that this person is a disgruntled FF'r who's a tad annoyed with the outcome.

That comment is actually a bit condescending to be fair: he seems to be quite correct and he could be from any party or even involved with the official count.

And before you draw any assumptions: who I voted for is absolutely none of your business.

The Coco seemed to have done a fairly decent job on the coverage and somebody had a bit of a go at them without really knowing what they were talking about.

Its easy to attack soft targets in authority especially in the current climate but lets give credit where it is due and only give negative criticism (about Sligo CoCo in this case) when it is due and when we know the facts.

We are not going to work our way out of the current national crisis if good initiatives are put down with the bad.

T runner wrote: »
    That comment is actually a bit condescending

And before you draw any assumptions: who I voted for is absolutely none of your business.

Its easy to attack soft targets in authority especially in the current climate but lets give credit where it is due

We are not going to work our way out of the current national crisis if good initiatives are put down with the bad.

Another Government apologist I'd bet or else it's Brian Cowen. He said something very similar during the week.
    This last part of this post sounds just like the entire Fianna Fail/GP front bench excuses over the last few weeks all rolled into one.

PS I couldn't give a monkey's who the poster voted for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I think, to be fair, Cork4ever's comment was a hell of a lot more condescending than Jabbys. Anyway, this is off topic.

I looked at the sites yesterday evening and there was nothing there, so not a roaring success. I didn't bother checking again and watched the main media coverage instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 showgies

To be fair to Cork4ever, everything he said is entirely true. Sligo County Council cannot be seen to post tallies as they are in nature "unofficial".

For once the Co. Council show a little initiative in having up to date counts and webcam etc. and immediately they are shot down.

You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. There ain't no pleasing some people.

showgies wrote: »
    To be fair to Cork4ever, everything he said is entirely true. Sligo County Council cannot be seen to post tallies as they are in nature "unofficial".

For once the Co. Council show a little initiative in having up to date counts and webcam etc. and immediately they are shot down.

You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. There ain't no pleasing some people.

Fair enough, point taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Jabby wrote: »
    Fair enough, point taken.

So you ackowledge that people who defend the CoCo when they do something well are not necessarily disgruntled FFers or covert "government sympathisers"?

Credit where its due, criticism where its warranted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's not like a Corkman to be giving out.

T runner wrote: »
    So you ackowledge that people who defend the CoCo when they do something well are not necessarily disgruntled FFers or covert "government sympathisers"?

Credit where its due, criticism where its warranted.

No Your post just made me laugh thats all....:)

''We are not going to work our way out of the current national crisis if good initiatives are put down with the bad''.

You sounded like the Biffo Cowen last week!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

No fighting please guys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement