Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows mobile automatically connecting to GPRS?

• 05-06-2009 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi

I have a windows based mobile running windows 6.0 OS also WIFI enabled, it automatically connecting GPRS when wifi is not connected and then fail. Here is the issue, when it tries connecting to GPRS it will interfere/slowing down other programmes, i,e: listening to music, watching a video, etc..
    I have no intention to use GPRS now or in the future, so does anybody know how to shut GPRS from automatically connecting? Or any other advice?
    Any advice is greatly apperciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭tommyjin83

Any help please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What phone is it? You just want to delete the settings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Ring your provider and ask them to remove GPRS provisioning from your account. Note this option will also disable MMS provisioning though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Random wrote: »
    Ring your provider and ask them to remove GPRS provisioning from your account. Note this option will also disable MMS provisioning though.

Or the OP could ask for every APN, except for MMS, to be removed from their account; that is if they still wish to use MMS.

OP, I would check all your Internet based applications and features first as, even without GPRS provisioning, you may still experience sluggish performance, as you mentioned, when your handset attempts in establishing a GPRS connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Or the OP could ask for every APN, except for MMS, to be removed from their account; that is if they still wish to use MMS

I don't think it works likes this. While MMS and GPRS are provisioned separately I don't think MMS can be added without GPRS. This has been my experience and what I've heard from a couple of people in various customer cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Random wrote: »
    I don't think it works likes this. While MMS and GPRS are provisioned separately I don't think MMS can be added without GPRS. This has been my experience and what I've heard from a couple of people in various customer cares.

While GPRS access governs all APNs, removing every APN, bar MMS, on a customer's network profile will have no affect on their ability to send/receive MMS. In addition, while the various customer care teams may provide certain answers regarding APNs, they only know so much and have limited system access; it is generally the technical support teams that have the required access to alter a customer's network profile.

Thanks for the advice, i'll try to contact the technical support and see what happens then...

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,531 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Go into the following:

Start > Settings > System > Windows Update.

Select Menu > Connections > Untick the box.

Wont connect anymore!

antodeco wrote: »
    Go into the following:

Start > Settings > System > Windows Update.

Select Menu > Connections > Untick the box.

Wont connect anymore!

Hey thanks for your help, i checked as you said but the box was unticked anyway. Could it be something else?

tommyjin83 wrote: »
    Could it be something else?

Something is clearly trying to connect. What apps are running?
    You never said which phone?
    You never if you would ring your network to remove data from your account?

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    Something is clearly trying to connect. What apps are running?
    You never said which phone?
    You never if you would ring your network to remove data from your account?

Hi
    i actually haven't talked to the tech people yet, was tryin to figure it out myself first.
    Oh the phone is CECT M88 which i got on ebay, i think nobody heard this before. Was checking the task manager straight after it tried to connect to GPRS and no application was running.
    Wouldn't it be much more easier if there is an option which allows you to just shut the GPRS connection.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Hi
    i actually haven't talked to the tech people yet, was tryin to figure it out myself first.
    Oh the phone is CECT M88 which i got on ebay, i think nobody heard this before. Was checking the task manager straight after it tried to connect to GPRS and no application was running.
    Wouldn't it be much more easier if there is an option which allows you to just shut the GPRS connection.:o
    If it's second-hand, maybe there's an hidden anti-theft app trying to 'phone home'?

GPS in assisted GPS mode? QuickGPS? Your e-mail client set to check every so-often?

You'll need to solve this before you roam as mobile roaming tariffs are unbelievable.

If it's second-hand, maybe there's an hidden anti-theft app trying to 'phone home'?

GPS in assisted GPS mode? QuickGPS? Your e-mail client set to check every so-often?

You'll need to solve this before you roam as mobile roaming tariffs are unbelievable.

It is a brand new phone, and as far as i know the phone is GPS enabled but it needs a External Bluetooth GPS recevier, and i haven't set up my e-mail account yet.
    Why on earth is the GPRS trying to connect itself? :confused:

It is a brand new phone, and as far as i know the phone is GPS enabled but it needs a External Bluetooth GPS recevier, and i haven't set up my e-mail account yet.
    Why on earth is the GPRS trying to connect itself? :confused:

Some app is to update which could be any reason.

Have you tried:

Start > Settings > Connections.
    Click GPRS.
    If it is necessary, scroll to the connection that you want to delete, and then click Menu > Delete.
    Click Yes to confirm

Some app is to update which could be any reason.

Have you tried:

Start > Settings > Connections.
    Click GPRS.
    If it is necessary, scroll to the connection that you want to delete, and then click Menu > Delete.
    Click Yes to confirm

Hi,
    thanks for your reply, i deleted the GPRS setting and then when i did a soft reset it tried to connect via WAP, then i deleted WAP setting and as for now everthing is fine.

Hi,
    thanks for your reply, i deleted the GPRS setting and then when i did a soft reset it tried to connect via WAP, then i deleted WAP setting and as for now everthing is fine.

Finally a result!

If it connects again,,, find the nearest wall and smash it!!! :D

Finally a result!

If it connects again,,, find the nearest wall and smash it!!! :D

Ha ha:rolleyes: was thinkng about that, thanks anyway......

Advertisement