Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Womens Insurance only Companys

• 05-06-2009 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Just sumthing that was always on my mind. I think its so funny that womens only insurance companys actually exisit. give you a good example, say tomorrow quinn direct decided that they only want to insure male drivers, every women in the irish republic would riot in the streets, now dont get me wrong, im not having a go at female drivers, i just think in generality its so funny that the insurance companies actually exsist like lady star and its4women.ie, i think theyre logo is interesting -

Cheap car insurance for women in Ireland
    its4women believes that women deserve cheaper car insurance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As far as I can see, it's just a marketing tool. If you look at the bottom of that page, the insurance is underwritten by AIG Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭celica1994

thats true, that particular company do state they insure male drivers, but in england and such, theyre is actually compaines that are women only, give ya a good one, i once got turned down insurance from a particular insurance company because im a soldier, they told me they dont insure soldiers and guards, how odd huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Maybe all that fighting makes you reckless?;)

ha, naw, just the cost of road tax and the nct make me mad lol. but i think refusing sumone insurance on the grounds of either sex or occupation is just wrong:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Its probably due to the fact that given the occupation you MAY drive a garda/army vehicle on public roads. If there is a gap inthe garda/army insurance or you weren't covered to drive, it could fall on your private insurance.
    Hence the decline

• Advertisement

not nessicarily my friend, ya see, my own car is for private use and cannot be used in any way or form to do with my occupation except if you concider commuting to and from work. to drive in the army ya got to have whats called an AF154 which ya gotta do a driving course in the army to begin with, even at that ya can only drive theyre viechles:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

isn't there a law preventing discrimination based on gender?

i woulda thought so too but guessing that the companys exsist it must not be, im not gender bashing but its a bit hard to say that women are safer drivers cause every individual persons driving style is different, example - how is a 16 year old female driver with no driving experience safer then a 40 year old male driver with 20 years no claims lol? as i said im not gender bashing but ya cant just penalise a whole gender on a generality lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Think this is just like LadyStar, in that its nothing but a brand for an insurer. Denying insurance based on gender here would be entirely illegal. Eagle Star being the LadyStar for those who aren't of the female persuasion.

maybe there is case against them, but they could just quote way over the odds for males and they wouldn't have to deal with them.

EDIT:
    What if you rang LadyStar phone number and asked for insurance and they said no though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

isn't there a law preventing discrimination based on gender?

But insurance is all about discrimination (in the broad sense of the word) based on gender, age, occupation, locality. Otherwise all our premiums would be the same.

they judge general data from those areas to determine what risk you are likely to be. they still can't refuse to quote you, regardless of how high it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Im for ending womens suffrage myself. :D

Youtube it.

Womens mini marathon. Website http://www.florawomensminimarathon.ie/race_information/race_information.55.LE.asp

Read the first line of the webtext.

I say get them out of Portmarnock Golf Club.

Rant over.

Dont worry mods. I know where the Ranting and Raving forum is but there are too many women in there. Imm s s s s s s scared. :(

damn, if i were fit enough i'd enter :)

does seem like a lot of discrimination when supposed to be equality laws

laws are good when they get same as us but its ok to break them when they get benefits :mad:

Advertisement