Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best providor for heavy usage (30 -50gb) in Dublin

Options
  • 05-06-2009 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Who'd be the best? Money being the main point here

I'm in range of UPC but find them annoying - but if they're the best so what.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Smart, that amount of downloading wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

MC

damnyanks wrote: »
    Who'd be the best? Money being the main point here

I'm in range of UPC but find them annoying - but if they're the best so what.

Even bt or eircom will let you get away with 50gigs. Best providers for your money imho are upc or smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Digiweb has a 60G package. You don't have to take TV from UPC anymore to get the BB.

It would only be really heavy on Mobile where that would be 40G in excess of your 10G cap and could cost €10K in excess charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Nice little earner if you can get it.... Could you ask for the bill shock / coronary team?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

upc have a fair usage poilicy of 250gb (inc. up and down stream) on the 10 and 20mbps packages.

30-50gb is far from heavy usage. ;)

• Advertisement

betafrog wrote: »
    The best bit is they don't tell you this and it's never mentioned in their literary ( they just mention a FUP, a figure is never mentioned ) I only found out the figure when I got a letter saying that 450GB in one month was considered a bit too much :eek:
    lol, ye big showoff! there was me thinking my 361gb was too much! :)

seriously though, it's still plenty if you don't go too nuts with it.

now that i know it's there i have all my traffic logged on my router and i know to keep within those limits.

would have been nice to have known in advance though, when i was looking into signing up in November last year, there were tales of people going over 600gb in a single month and not a peep out of ntl, seems like they've done this since January to help them cope with their huge expansion of broadband customers recently.

betafrog wrote: »
    The best bit is they don't tell you this and it's never mentioned in their literary ( they just mention a FUP, a figure is never mentioned ) I only found out the figure when I got a letter saying that 450GB in one month was considered a bit too much :eek:

Theres just so many Linux distros to download. :D

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Magnet would offer unlimited services, fair usage policy applies but as of today (8/06/09) we have never charged out of bundle rates and we have never throttled any customers.

care to actually share what your FUP limit is Rory?

also, unlimited + FUP = NOT unlimited. ;)

vibe666 wrote: »
    care to actually share what your FUP limit is Rory?

also, unlimited + FUP = NOT unlimited. ;)

I understand what you mean, but to date we have never punished anyone for going over the fair usage policy (circa 250GB), so you can understand why I would put Magnet forward.

Also (and I might need help on this one) fair usage policies do not only refer to download amount.

• Advertisement

depends who you're with. UPC count your downloads PLUS your uploads. when I was with BT (for several years before UPC, up to Nov. last year) they only counted downloaded data, not uploaded, but perhaps they just didn't see the tiny upload bandwidth as being worth charging for (that was a little dig in case you missed it! :)).

does the magnet FUP inc. uploaded data too then? if it was just downloads, that would be one up for you guys on UPC. :)

just out of curiosity, if i was a magnet customer and I downloaded 350gb in a month what would happen? would i get a letter or anything? if it's not enforeced, is it even really there?

if a FUP breaks on da intert00bs and nobdy is there to send a letter, does the ISP still make a noise? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I understand what you mean, but to date we have never punished anyone for going over the fair usage policy (circa 250GB), so you can understand why I would put Magnet forward.

Also (and I might need help on this one) fair usage policies do not only refer to download amount.

Hello

Magnet's Bandwidth restrictions can be applied on different ways, most likely if they apply this FUP will be in relation to ilegal material (as in section 6.5).

But all ISP have FUP, up until a couple of years ago BT wasnt throttling their customers even though some of them were surpassing 350 gb per month, then, they decided that it wasnt fair for most customers to suffer from bandwidth deterioration just because of the excessive usage of a small minority. Congestion is a big issue when using Eircom's wholesale products, so the problem would have been mainly with bitstream customers.

When this throttling thing started most of their affected customers moved to NTL, NTL increased their speed and a few months later they started with similar protocol and put in place their FUP (most likely only for customers on congested areas).

I do consider myself a high usage user, as I download a lot of HD material. I have never been warned by Magnet and as my apartment complex is almost empty so I doubt I ever will (fingers crossed) but If I am then I will have to control my usage as I know there is a reason behind it. It is true that I do try to restrict my download times to nights to minimize impact but I doubt that has anything to do with this.

Rory, I will be selfish here but you dont want heavy downloaders like me joining your network if you want to maintain a good service level... ;) I want your bandwidth all for me!!

Bohrio wrote: »
    Hello

Magnet's Bandwidth restrictions do apply to abusive users as in section 6.5 of their FUP.

But all ISP have FUP, up until a couple of years ago BT wasnt throttling their customers even though some of them were surpassing 350 gb per month, then, they decided that it wasnt fair for most customers to suffer from bandwidth deterioration just because of the excessive usage of a small minority. Congestion is a big issue when using Eircom's wholesale products, so the problem would have been mainly with bitstream customers.

When this throttling thing started most of their affected customers moved to NTL, NTL increased their speed and a few months later they started with similar protocol and put in place their FUP (most likely only for customers on congested areas).

I do consider myself a high usage user, as I download a lot of HD material. I have never been warned by Magnet and as my apartment complex is almost empty so I doubt I ever will (fingers crossed) but If I am then I will have to control my usage as I know there is a reason behind it. It is true that I do try to restrict my download times to nights to minimize impact but I doubt that has anything to do with this.

Rory, I will be selfish here but you dont want heavy downloaders like me joining your network if you want to maintain a good service level... ;) I want your bandwidth all for me!!

Currently we have way more than enough capacity to accommadate even heavy users.

For obvious reasons I cant be seen to encourage people to abuse the fair usage policy......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

vibe666 wrote: »
    upc have a fair usage poilicy of 250gb (inc. up and down stream) on the 10 and 20mbps packages.

30-50gb is far from heavy usage. ;)

WOW!!:eek::eek:

I can finally make the move to blueray downloads..legally of course!:p

Seals the deal for me anyway!!

Advertisement