Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vanishing Taxies!!!

Options
  • 05-06-2009 8:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently the taxi regulators were in a certain Louth town yesterday checking up on the drivers. Word got around the radio's and the ranks were suddenly empty of cars and drivers.
    A lot of foreign drivers vanished! As its turning out according to a taxi representative, one foreigner might have a genuine taxi licence but when he/she is not working or in bed, etc they are allowing others to drive their vehicle for them, and thats not including the ones that are not driving illegally anyway 24-7 chancing their arms!

Its just madness!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

What's your source on this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What's your source on this?

Head of a Taxi association in a town and then later speaking and seeking, getting further confirmation of the situation.
    To be honest, apparently, its nothing new to the Taxi Regulators anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

Interesting, but is it really newsworthy? Taxi Regulators should do more checks, regularly. In fact, why wouldn't Garda check on their usual road checks?

If the system is not enforcing the rules and regulations, opportunists WILL take advantage of it - foreigners or natives, taxi drivers or bank directors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Do as I do and only use a known/native taxi driver.

I love the racism that's pouring from some of the posts in relation to taxi drivers.

I mean, it's as though Irish taxi drivers are poor, innocent people who just want to obey the law and the mean black man is just ruining it for them.

Seriously, if there's any loophole in any Irish system, I can assure you, Paddy Irishman has it well sussed out and is using it to his advantage all the time. It's not just 'the foreigners'. (Just in case anyone is unaware, I'm Irish).

• Advertisement

Its not racism on my behalf, its realism. I would rather give my money to an Irishman than to someone from another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

positron wrote: »
    Interesting, but is it really newsworthy? Taxi Regulators should do more checks, regularly. In fact, why wouldn't Garda check on their usual road checks?

If the system is not enforcing the rules and regulations, opportunists WILL take advantage of it - foreigners or natives, taxi drivers or bank directors.

It was the job of the Gardai ( PSV inspectors and Carriage Office in Dublin ) to look after and police taxis until some muppet thought it a bright idea to set up taxiregulator with NINE enforcement officers country wide.

It was the job of the Gardai ( PSV inspectors and Carriage Office in Dublin ) to look after and police taxis until some muppet thought it a bright idea to set up taxiregulator with NINE enforcement officers country wide.

Wow, I didn't know that, but not surprised either!

TommyT, I sincerely hope you or your family never have to go to a hospital run by HSE. You would be paying for and receiving service from 'foreigners'.

Anytime we need a hospital we go North. And we dont need a taxi to get there.

The taxi industry should be "policed" more thoroughly, that would get rid of the cowboys no matter what the nationality. I would also like to see rules/laws introduced on the age of cars they can use, the standard of the taxis in Dundalk is really quite poor. Paying €10 for a short trip across town on a Saturday night in an 87 Toyota really isnt on.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Ah the '8 black fellas driving one car' line again! Sure they are.. They struggle to make minimum wage as it is!! :rolleyes:

I remember the head of the local Taxi Drivers Association was quoted in the Drogheda Leader saying 'people should not get into taxis with BLACK drivers if they are not using the meter..' What about the 80% of local drivers who don't use them??

The majority of foreign drivers I've used were on the meter - it's mostly to their benefit! They also display their ID more than Irish drivers.

No foreign doctors up north then Tommy? :pac:

• Advertisement

No foreign doctors up north then Tommy? :pac:

I`m sure there are, but thankfully I rarely need to see a doctor.

Has anyone asked themselves exactly why these people have some to Ireland? Is it the lush green fields? Our wonderful history, from the Druids right through to the War of Independence? Or is it our social security system that handsomely rewards the idle while they have never paid a penny in tax to this country.
    As an Irishman I am well aware what it is like to be an economic migrant, I worked in the UK and in various parts of Europe when there was no work here. We didnt get a free ride anywhere we went, yet we give these people a free ride at the taxpayers expense. Would we get such treatment in Africa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I got dole in the UK and I never had paid employment there.
    In fact I got rent allowance too!

And never once did I pay their equivalent to PRSI, dunno what it's called, maybe social security?

As an EU citizen I could do this.

But to be fair I was doing work experience on a government sponsored scheme for graduates in Northern Ireland.
    Oh, and the rate was something like £47 per week when it was close to 200 euro here.

Whoy, way offtopic for this post though, it's on taxi drivers

TommyT wrote: »
    As an Irishman I am well aware what it is like to be an economic migrant, I worked in the UK and in various parts of Europe when there was no work here. We didnt get a free ride anywhere we went, yet we give these people a free ride at the taxpayers expense. Would we get such treatment in Africa?

I am not sure I understand your argument.

Are you against economic migration? I doubt you are, as you worked in the UK. Did you work away in the UK or Europe because they provide better welfare? Were you there for a 'free ride'? I don't think you were.

Also, why do you think all foreign nationals in Ireland is getting a 'free ride'? Do you think all foreign nationals are on dole?

Not what I would expect from someone who has been a migrant himself tbh!

Advertisement