Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HD, HD Ready, HDMI WTF?

• 05-06-2009 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

I got a tv and I can't remember if it's HD or HD ready.
    Nor do I know the difference between the two.

What I do know is that it carries two HDMI ports and I used a HDMI cable to connect it to the tv. Is HDMI different? Is it actually an increase in definition in anyway or is it just a replacement for the old fashioned scart?

The reason I'm asking this question now is because the 'definition' of my dvds seems to fluctuate. When I watch some dvds, the picture quality is amazing, and when I watch others, the quality is mega ****.

I tried reading the wiki page but can someone here please dumb it down for me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

-The Tv will give you resolution settings in the back of its book
    HD Ready is 720p ~ "Full" HD is 1080p.

-If you use are use to MP3 the answer is as follows :
    When you 'Rip' a disk using @ 64Kbps how "Good" does it sound? When you 'Rip' music @ 320Kbps how much 'better' does it sound?
    All digital copy's suffer this problem. The movies my have bee copied from the 35mm film to digital very poorly. Or they may have been digitised to disc equally poorly.
    And its a "believe" what you will attitude to HDMI cables and quality.

-HDMI is just an interface, just like scart, which is used to move picture and sound. HDMI cables quality is some what of a sticky issue.

>Sol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭danteXXI

Cool thanks for the explanation.

Why are the HDMI cables a sticky issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

HDMI cables are digital. This means:
    1) There's no such thing as a "better" cable, which pisses off the sort of person that buys gold scart cables (and even more so the people in currys that flog them).
    2) It's tied into Digital Rights Management, which means that if the TV doesn't like what you're trying to play, or your Blu Ray doesn't like the look of your TV, it can shut the whole show down. Which is nice. This is more theory than practice for the most part but it's still there. It also means that Manufacturers can spec certain cables, or setups that they "approve" of (ie get paid a high margin for) and refuse to work if all the parts don't match.

All this proves is that manufacturers are *****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭danteXXI

Ok, so I've two pieces of kit, both carrying the initials 'H' and 'D', though I'm not, in any way, getting a bettter picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

You need set "Kits" to out-put in its "Better" mode.
    EG. video settings need to be increased to 1080i / 1080p from your DVD player.
    Your laptop / PC needs to move its video out to 1366 x 768 or 1980x1080.

>Sol

• Advertisement
Advertisement