Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 318D SE OR 318D M SPORT 2007

• 05-06-2009 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

is the ride a bit harsh in the m sport or is it worth it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Chopper888

No the ride performance is very good in the m range . Its definitely worth the extra bit of money for the better appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Frank_Gooding

get a 320d msport.

the 318 has a 2.0 engine that is detuned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

or if you get the 318d at a decent saving over a 320d get it properly rempped:D

I think the ride in my buddies 320d SE is firm for a car riding on 16's but, as said, the M-Sport looks the business. If you could swap the tyres on an M-Sport from run flats to regulars it apparently makes a world of difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd go M Sport, I hate how conservative the standard car looks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd go with the M Sport too but it would have to be the more powerful 320d and ditch the run flat tyres too.

• Advertisement

m-sport all the way with no run-flats.

why a 318d tho and not the 320d?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Schumacher1

Whats your budget.

You will not believe how much these are in UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

is the ride a bit harsh in the m sport or is it worth it
    I've driven both. The ride in the SE is good but on the firm side, the M Pack makes the ride far too hard for Irish roads. Boards is littered with people moaning about BMW RFTs, all of them running M Packs with big rims and none of whom appear to have had the sense to test-drive the car before buying. RFTs on the 16" SE rims are great, any bigger is asking for trouble. Unless appearance is much more important to you than ability, take the SE. If you're buying new, i'd recommend the sports seats.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Anan1 wrote: »
    Unless appearance is much more important to you than ability, take the SE. If you're buying new, i'd recommend the sports seats.

actually if it's ability then you would definitely go for the msport, it handles much better but you give up comfort. if it's comfort you want go for the SE. imo some people seriously overdo the difference between msport and se. on the same wheels and tyres there isn't that much of a difference.

usually you get people comparing an SE on 16s and a Msport on 19s and being surprised there is a big difference.

copacetic wrote: »
    actually if it's ability then you would definitely go for the msport, it handles much better but you give up comfort. if it's comfort you want go for the SE.
    On smooth roads sure, but on less-than-perfect surfaces you'll make quicker progress in an SE. That's the thing about overly-hard cars, the discomfort (and fear of potholes) actually slows you down.
    imo some people seriously overdo the difference between msport and se. on the same wheels and tyres there isn't that much of a difference.

usually you get people comparing an SE on 16s and a Msport on 19s and being surprised there is a big difference.
    AFAIK, the M Pack comes with 18" wheels? The one I drove was much, much harder than an SE, I considered the ride simply unacceptable.

• Advertisement

on an e90 they are 17 I think.

I'm just saying compare like with like, I've driven various E92s on 19s and an SE on 19s with RFTs is no picnic over potholes. very hard to tell any difference from an msport.

on an e90 they are 17 I think.

I'm just saying compare like with like, I've driven various E92s on 19s and an SE on 19s with RFTs is no picnic over potholes. very hard to tell any difference from an msport.
    I'm quite prepared to believe it's the rim size rather than the suspension that makes the difference. For a 318/320d at least, though, I wouldn't go any bigger than the 16"s that are standard on the SE. I know some people think they look a bit lost in the arches, but you can't beat the practicality - good ride, cheap replacement, and a run-flat system you'll actually like.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭scooter 007

my budget is 25000 roughly and the e 90 m sport come with 17 inch alloy wheels

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

go for the M-sport if you can.

M-sport suspension is only 15mm lower than the ES/SE so no big big difference. the biggest difference is the comparasions between 16" and 18" wheels that come on both models.

the msport looks so much better, and if you can get leather and xenons and a few other little options like bluetooth it would be ideal. the i-drive and sat nav are a great option but i would rather leather, bluetooth and xenons over it imo.

318d or 320d, very similar engines. what year are you looking at?
    i think the newer 318d is 141bhp against the 177bhp of the 320d.

my budget is 25000 roughly and the e 90 m sport come with 17 inch alloy wheels
    i could of sworn that the M-Sport comes with 18" standard? are you sure its 17"?

i am fairly certain the m sport comes with 17 inch light alloy wheels.i have my eye on one that is for sale on carzone it is the newer model 08 efficent dynamics .it is advertised at 26750 euros but he will do a straight deal at 26000 euros .the car is located in mayo and was registered in december 2007.i cant link to it because i dont know how so if anyone can look and see if it is a good deal or not:cool:

kceire wrote: »

i could of sworn that the M-Sport comes with 18" standard? are you sure its 17"?

i'd already mentioned above that the e90 msport comes with 17s as standard.

i am fairly certain the m sport comes with 17 inch light alloy wheels.i have my eye on one that is for sale on carzone it is the newer model 08 efficent dynamics .it is advertised at 26750 euros but he will do a straight deal at 26000 euros .the car is located in mayo and was registered in december 2007.i cant link to it because i dont know how so if anyone can look and see if it is a good deal or not:cool:

is it this SE model?
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/320-D-SE/200905191633210/advert?channel=CARS

i think you could walk away with that car for 25k or less! knocking 750e of a 26k car is nothing imo. he seems to have upped the price too :mad:

but on the other hand, its a good car, 177bhp, 50mpg on motorway with steady light foot. i drove to Portumna from Dublin last weekend with myself and my 3 mates in the car (2005 320d with remap) and we were averging the speed limit and 43mpg.
    i'd already mentioned above that the e90 msport comes with 17s as standard.

i was double checking, so the 18" are an optional upgrade.

its not the car but it is the same dealer it is a 2007 reg and it is silver

its not the car but it is the same dealer it is a 2007 reg and it is silver

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/D-Msport/200845190766504/advert?channel=CARS

looks nice, its an ex UK car. no problem with that once the savings are passed on. if you have the cash, why no go to england and pick one up? although i think you could easily get 2k off the marked price of the silver 07 one your looking at.

it will still cost me around 25000 euros all in after vrt and travel so i will probably go ahead with this one

• Advertisement

it will still cost me around 25000 euros all in after vrt and travel so i will probably go ahead with this one

thats fair enough, just make sure you buy the best specced one you can because in 3-4 years time when the 07 models are very close to 08 models in second hand prices, people will buy the 08 ones for the cheaper road tax and hence the 07 models will have to drop in price by quite a bit to sell them.

i still think that the above car can be got for maybe 24k cash on a straight sale. just go in and make the offer, all they can say is no.

Advertisement