Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro - Questions

Options
  • 05-06-2009 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking at ditching my current ADSL broadband and going for one that doesn't require me to pay line rental for a landline service I barely use.

Unfortunately UPC no longer offer broadband in my area (they used to, then stopped for no apparent reason, and customer services couldn't shed any light on this).

So I'm looking at Digiweb's Metro 5mb service now, and I have a few questions for anyone who uses it:

1) What are Digiweb like to deal with? Installation, customer service, etc?

2) Does the actual speed correspond to the advertised speed? I realise this depends very much on your area, but in general (or if anyone near Dun Laoghaire, Co Dublin uses them and wants to fill me in that'd be a big help).

3) Anyone know what the contention ratio is? I can't seem to find it on Digiweb's website.

4) Can anyone explain the bandwidth quota? I've read a few things that suggest it isn't a normal calendar monthly quota, but an average over 30 days or something? And if your speed gets throttled you need to bring your average back down again over a period of time, rather than waiting for the next month? Or am I completely wrong on this?

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

1. I found customer service good to deal with and i was installed witing 2 weeks of ordering.

2. I was on 6/8mb connection and it came very close to the full speed(at 2am ish). I'm in drumcondra though.

3. Not sure.

4. Its a rolling cap. So your bandwidth quota is based on the last thirty days of use. If you go over your limit for the last thirty days you have to wait for it to come down to 80% of the bandwidth limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Thanks for that Alter-Ego. What about at peak times? Obviously it won't be full speed but was it still acceptable, say half speed? I'm on 3mb at the moment so anything over 2.5mb or so at peak times would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'm on 8 and it rarely drops below 900k upload and below 7M down at peak times. Off peak is close to 8 and 1

Contention is less than 48:1 according to license conditions. How much less depends on which mast you are on.

I'd not easily get DSL with same upload speed.

With a "monthly" quota you get a big slow down at start and end of month as some people torrent/download like crazy till throttled and others realize at end of month they have cap left. Thus it's a bad system that creates spikes.

With a rolling cap it's a true cumulative over the last 30 days, so no matter what the date, if there was a day you downloaded 4G worth of Redhat ISOs, 28 days ago, then in 2 days that 4G is gone. It's the fairest system for the majority.

Advertisement