Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€3000 Weekend Car- What would you buy??

• 05-06-2009 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭

I have 3 grand to spend on a weekend car, what would you buy.

Have me head wrecked looking thru carzone.
    Dont have to worry about insurance costs.

This is one way to ignore the big R

Looked at everything from MG BGTS to Supras

So if you had 3 grand to spend on a weekend car what would you buy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Chopper888

An old Toyota MR2 . You can pick one up cheap in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is insurance a problem or are you on a fleet policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

A Rolls-Royce from the 70", my friend bought one for 3k, needs a little bit of work but still a nice car:) Much more interesting than some old sports car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Frank_Gooding

Been looking at Audi Coupe's recently

A few on carzone but should be more choice in uk.

Or something like a merc 320 ce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Love the idea of the triumph, also like the Mr2s but would have to go with a t-bar, the Supras are nice.

For some reason its the triumph winning out at this stage

Thanks lads and keep the comming

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mitsubishi/FTO/mivec--m/200919192737303/advert?channel=CARS

wrong bumper for the year, but good value nonetheless.

V6 engine
    0-60 in 6.5
    great looking car

Guess what I have as a weekend car ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

colm_mcm wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mitsubishi/FTO/mivec--m/200919192737303/advert?channel=CARS

wrong bumper for the year, but good value nonetheless.

V6 engine
    0-60 in 6.5
    great looking car

Guess what I have as a weekend car ;)

They only sprung to mind after i posted my comment and i was to lazy to go back and find a nice one.
    Great cars, great option.

I was keeping this one to myself, but it's unlikely I'll take the plunge, so:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C93363/

710487.jpg
    721188.jpg
    710491.jpg
    721172.jpg
    721186.jpg
    732213.jpg

Amazing car, very rare in coupe body, and all the right extras. First Ireland insured me classic on an 88 one last year for around 300 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Mx-5!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Audi coupe would be my choice. And of course my mandatory recommendation of a Mazda Mx-5!
    Are YOU man enough to drive one ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

And of course my mandatory recommendation of a Mazda Mx-5!
    Are YOU man enough to drive one ;-)

why is it looked upon as a ladies car:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

fryup wrote: »
    why is it looked upon as a ladies car:confused:

It's considered in the same class as a mini. An accessory if you will :P, albeit a fantastic car! Those who wouldn't be on top of there cars may think you're a bit of a lady, so you just have to get over that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

There's a MR2 Mk1 Supercharger Super Edition (1 of 273 made) for sale in the UK for just over your budget. It'd probably appreciate in value (well certainly wouldn't drop by much) if you took good care of it.

Bit over your budget at £3250 + €900 VRT. Classic insurance too.

There's also one with a Levin 4agze (165BHP stock compared to the 145BHP MR2 4AGZE) going for £1.6k, I intend to buy it in the coming months if its not snapped up before then.

Have to agree with colm too, great value in FTO's atm. Mine's a daily driver and I find it great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

OP are you looking for a classic something to bring to a vintage car show??

how about an MG

http://www.usedcarsni.com/21311853

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

how about a merc 200se - there a lovely car.

1965_Mercedes_Benz_W111_220SEb_Disc_Brake_Fintail_Heckflosse_Sedan_For_Sale_Front_1.JPG

for 3 grand? also, not much of a drivers car, weekend cars should be fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

VW Corrado or maybe a Mk1 Golf GTi ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 AÆ

My first thoughts was something big, comfortable and convertible..

So Merc e320 convertibe...would need to go to the UK to get one

fs_0636667001226053506.jpg

But what would be really cool would be an old SL...ur budget wont stretch to it but if u add a bit more and source the UK u might get one for under 5K....get one with a removable hard top and u have a sweet car

no-image-large.gif

no-image-large.gif

(looking thru carzone on these SL's makes me want one...!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Has to be a fiat coupe.

Still as gorgeous as ever, likely to become a proper classic one day down the line.

20VT Turbo only though :pac:

• Advertisement

good choice Tragdy, would be Coupe 20V turbo Vs FTO GPX in my head, Mitsu far less risky though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

I'm (hopefully) picking up a 1987 Saab 900 turbo next week for €3,000 - inspection went well today so just a question of a few small things to fix before purchase.

cool Mumblin, hope you know about rust/turbo issues

No rust around door seals; no structural rust; turbo replaced in 2005. I'll see the full inspection report (2 1/2 hour inspection, 5 page report) tomorrow morning, but spoke to the engineer from the classic car inspection company at about 10pm after he'd come back from the job and it seems promising. I feel I'm jinxing it by even discussing it, but i can't quite help myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

good choice Tragdy, would be Coupe 20V turbo Vs FTO GPX in my head, Mitsu far less risky though.
    Think the coupe looks far better(interior and exterior), less likely to be modified from my experience browsing A/T and pistonheads too!

Reliability? meh! :)

I'm (hopefully) picking up a 1987 Saab 900 turbo next week for €3,000 - inspection went well today so just a question of a few small things to fix before purchase.

Nice car. I had an 87 900 sedan (boot but only 2 doors) non-turbo for a year or so in OZ. Great car...had bigger ties and a nice exhaust.

No real problems except the thermostat, and the clutch slave cyclinder went on mine...nearly made it back from canbera to sydney with just 4th gear.

Try to find out when that was last replaced and check the history on the gearbox....the achilles heel on the old saabs was the pinion bearing which failed especially with the turbos....very expensive to fix...the engine has to be taken out to get at the gearbox.

This site was a favourite of mine back then for tips..
    Saab Central Classic Saab Forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

In order of preference, for 3k I'd be going for:
    1) Saab 900 turbo coupe
    2) Saab 9-3 Convertible Aero
    3) Alfa GTV / Spider

wrote: »
    Nice car. I had an 87 900 sedan (boot but only 2 doors) non-turbo for a year or so in OZ. Great car...had bigger ties and a nice exhaust.

No real problems except the thermostat, and the clutch slave cyclinder went on mine...nearly made it back from canbera to sydney with just 4th gear.

Try to find out when that was last replaced and check the history on the gearbox....the achilles heel on the old saabs was the pinion bearing which failed especially with the turbos....very expensive to fix...the engine has to be taken out to get at the gearbox.

This site was a favourite of mine back then for tips..
    Saab Central Classic Saab Forum

Thanks for that - the gearbox was replaced in 2005, as was the turbo. the report is due late this morning so I'll see the details on it then.

This is the car:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C95530/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

You could buy mine and have a grand to spare :-p

• Advertisement

a weekend car not a boy racers scumbag car

how about a merc 200se - there a lovely car.

1965_Mercedes_Benz_W111_220SEb_Disc_Brake_Fintail_Heckflosse_Sedan_For_Sale_Front_1.JPG

pick these up in the uk for anywhere from 2000 STG upwards..bearing in mind they might need a few small jobs. but road tax is €50 pre annum and insurance rougly €300....VRT is also €50 from the uk......a friend of mine had one and there an absolutly lovely car to drive....could do weeding at the weekend..nice money spinner...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Good to see ignorant stereotypes are still alive and kicking :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

if you're willing to use some elbow grease or spend a little more money, maybe consider a robin hood?

http://www.greatbritishsportscars.com/index.php

http://motors.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/Cars__robin-hood_W0QQ_catrefZ1QQ_sacatZ9801QQ_trksidZp3913Q2ec0Q2em24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Thanks for that - the gearbox was replaced in 2005, as was the turbo. the report is due late this morning so I'll see the details on it then.

This is the car:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C95530/

Lovely colour combination. Just be mindful of the gearbox. Even if it was replaced back in 05, any hard driving can destroy the weak pinion very easily....if the report shows any whining at all from the gearbox...walk away!

But...she is a beauty. Keep us informed.

• Advertisement

Don't even know where to start with that, I'll just assume that you either don't know what you're talking about or just aren't into sports cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Ive been looking at some MR2's and they are nice, then again the idea of a kit car makes me wonder and go "hmmmmmmm interesting".

I aint going to buy a turbo fiat because at the moment i dont own a recovery truck so it would be pointless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

I bought a '98 Nissan 200sx for 3k. No mods and 73k. I am using it everyday tho.

If I was getting an weekend car i'd get an early rust free mx5, pre 95 1.6 or a 1.8. Reason being they're cheap, reliable and RWD and there are a huge amount of tasteful mods that you can spend your saturday afternoon sticking to your car :D, supercharger anyone?

An update on the saab - report showed about five or six things that need to be fixed: A nut was missing on one of the ball joints for the front offside wishbone; windscreen washers not working; reversing light not working; needs new silencer; fuel feeder pipe leaking. Dealer will rectify all of these before the sale - all going well they'll bring it to Holyhead for me to pick uo next saturday (they charge £1 a mile to do this = £218, but it suits me much better this way).

Did you get much off the asking price, seems a lil pricey at 2795 STG

• Advertisement

I'm paying the asking price - I was more concerned that he would concentrate on fixing whatever came up in the report rather than having a couple of hundred quid off.

You can buy a 900 for £500 if you want, but from spending the past six months or so checking this out, any decent ones that are looked after and which are sold by a company with strong Saab connections (hagstrom or paradise for example) they tend to be about £2.500 up. I'm following the advice often given on the classic car forum here that it's better to spend more money on a good car, rather than less money on a dodgy car in the expectation that you'll do it up.

This is my first time doing this so it's very possible that i could screw it up and spend over the odds for a dog, but I've done what i can to limit my risk. The dealer has had only very good quality 900s on his site (one of the guys who runs the place is involved with the UK Saab owners club); i got an inspection done; and I'm getting the dealer to follow-up any issues from the inspection. It also has a good service history and a recent MOT, which is some comfort.

I realise i could end up feeling a chump for paying over the odds, but the truth is I'm more interested in the car than the money.

Sorry for rambling . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have 3 grand to spend on a weekend car, what would you buy.

Have me head wrecked looking thru carzone.
    Dont have to worry about insurance costs.

This is one way to ignore the big R

Looked at everything from MG BGTS to Supras

So if you had 3 grand to spend on a weekend car what would you buy.

OK, a couple of things: buying the car is the easy bit. It's actually the insurance, tax that'll annoy you far more than any car - whatever the kind.

Consider, you buy a nice old, but not 30yr old, Merc/Audi/Supra, whatever. That's in and around 1000-1400 euro p.a. If you're happy to pay that, off you go, and buy whatever you like.

But I guarantee you, paying Eur30 per WEEK to tax a car you might not even like/want to use all the time, will really, really get to you, and you will blame the car. Which is a pity.

Insurance is another consideration. If you don't buy a recognised (i.e 20+ yrs old car), you won't get classic insurance (about Eur 350 - which is very reasonable). The reason I mention this, is that if it doesn't qualify for classic insurance, then you will have to take out ordinary insurance, and if you don't have a 2nd NCB, you're going to get hammered, price-wise.

So, not trying to rain on your parade, but just go in with your eyes open.

Unfortunately, the mindset of insurance companies here doesn't allow for the commonsense approach (e.g. multi-vehicle policies). The tax thing, well, that's been done to death already.........

Which leaves but one option: buy the fun car.......and use it everyday. Maybe to the extent you can even sell the 'main car'..........at least that way you'll extract max value for your €€€. This then, would explain my sig........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

A Ford Capri...........

PS: this is probably one of the best places to buy a Saab if you're interested.

http://www.paradisesaabs.com/cars-for-sale.html

Pricey, but it's a place that seems to be highly regarded among the UK Saab fraternity.

I had very specific criteria:

-older than 1989 (insurance)
    - turbo
    - 16V
    - leather
    - service history
    - not a convertible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Pricey, but it's a place that seems to be highly regarded among the UK Saab fraternity.

- turbo
    - 16V
    - leather
    - service history
    - not a convertible

:eek::eek:
    http://www.paradisesaabs.com/1978t-99-turbo-black.html

want!!

- turbo
    - 16V
    - leather
    - service history
    - not a convertible

Your SAAB sounds nice....i always did enjoy the driving experience...lovely cockpit dashboard.....btw just check if the reverse gear stays in...common fault in the classic 900s....mine had it but no big deal.

Ah...i remember those old 900s....beautiful....maybe one day i will venture again into saab ownership.

What a beauty!
    6462515.jpg?533x398

SV wrote: »

Just saw ur post....great minds think alike :D

Advertisement