Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philadelphia, Here I Come! key moments and quotes

Options
  • 05-06-2009 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

^Title says it all!

Your own "essentials" list of quotes, key moments and bits and pieces.

I'll add this one I can think of: "'To hell with all strong men'" is said by Gar private when he becomes truly exasperated with the other males in his locality who are too stoic and (supposedly) unfeeling to share their love for family, friends and others in their lives and society at large

Another one for showing the poor communication skills caused by this male stereotype being conformed to is when Gar's friends come to say goodbye only after Madge's dragging and urging, and their only true farewell is when they give him random crap such as one guy's belt.

When S.B. is reading the newspaper, but it's upside-down.

The key moment is surely when Public Gar loses the plot at Katy and then after that for a while Public and Private Gar swap places, Public is willing to say what he feels and Private is trying to restrain him.

One key moment has to be when S.B is talking to Madge about Gar in his 'Wee sailor suit'..?

gars interview with senator-'left a scar on the aul skitter of my soul'-ego shattered from rejection

gar to madge-'give me a piece of your courage'-admires madge for her frankness and comminication skills

madge-gar and s.b are as ' two peas in a pod'

At dinner when Private says (well cries I'd imagine) "Say something father!" I like it 'cause it shows how both of them can't express themselves.

''The chat in this place would deafen a body''-Madge

Important point :
    -The canon
    -SB
    -Gar
    -Gar's friends
    All of them have severe problems expressing themselves! The only man who can express himself is an alcoholic! I took out silent to emphasise the men part, it isn't that neccessary with strong included to show that it's a part of their "facade" of masculinity as seen as physical brawn and little communication

this place will be quiet enough, soon enough, long enough.-madge trying to get s.b and gar to talk

"screwballs say something! say something father!"-Gar

"what would you care about money Canon, as long as you get your three weeks in tenerife every winter"-not sure thats the right wording but thats the gist of it! Private, attitude to religion.

Cultural context shows class division between people in ballybeg. Senator doogan doesnt want kate to marry a shopkeeper!

Gars mam went out with master boyle before she married S.B

'Suppose we cant complain'-sb every night-stuck in routine+emotinally stunted

'So How are the O'donnel family?'-canon every visit-routine control-even speech is curtailed and predictable

grand daughter of Russian prince- gar escaping through fantasy-living bachelor life in philadelphia

Gar private's ability to predict every word S.B says highlights the monotonous, predictable culture they live in and ultimately highlights the type of 'strong, silent men' so evident in ballybeg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

I was under the impression quotes in Comparative were just nice bonuses but not necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

one key moment has to be when S.B is talking to Madge about Gar in his 'Wee sailor suit'..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Aye absolutely but they buff up your answer lots and make you feel a lot more confident and in control - also shows you know your text rather well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Dumbledore

The key moment is surely when Public Gar loses the plot at Katy and then after that for a while Public and Private Gar swap places, Public is willing to say what he feels and Private is trying to restrain him.

When S.B. is reading the newspaper, but it's upside-down.

• Advertisement

-Kenny- wrote: »
    one key moment has to be when S.B is talking to Madge about Gar in his 'Wee sailor suit'..?

Absolutely, good one, I'll stick these in the OP for people's easy reading and skimming!

I'll add this one I can think of: "'To hell with all strong men'" is said by Gar private when he becomes truly exasperated with the other males in his locality who are too stoic and (supposedly) unfeeling to share their love for family, friends and others in their lives and society at large

Another one for showing the poor communication skills caused by this male stereotype being conformed to is when Gar's friends come to say goodbye only after Madge's dragging and urging, and their only true farewell is when they give him random crap such as one guy's belt.

Very good posts, adding them into the OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

That quote should be "To hell with all strong silent types" maybe "To hell with all strong silent men" but I think types is right.

BLARG wrote: »
    That quote should be "To hell with all strong silent types" maybe "To hell with all strong silent men" but I think types is tight.

It's men, I'm 99,99% sure as the entire play has a theme of male stereotypes in society

-The canon
    -SB
    -Gar
    -Gar's friends

All of them have severe problems expressing themselves! The only man who can express himself is an alcoholic! I took out silent to emphasise the men part, it isn't that neccessary with strong included to show that it's a part of their "facade" of masculinity as seen as physical brawn and little communication

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

gars interview with senator-'left a scar on the aul skitter of my soul'-ego shattered from rejection

gar to madge-'give me a piece of your courage'-admires madge for her frankness and comminication skills

private gar to master boyle- 'you could have been my father'-anyone understand this one:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

At dinner when Private says (well cries I'd imagine) "Say something father!" I like it 'cause it shows how both of them can't express themselves.

Gi joe! wrote: »

private gar to master boyle- 'you could have been my father'-anyone understand this one:confused:

Excellent stuff, not sure about the last one either too

Claypigeon wrote: »
    It's men, I'm 99,99% sure as the entire play has a theme of male stereotypes in society

-The canon
    -SB
    -Gar
    -Gar's friends

Good post, if u know at least this going in you can write a load on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

''The chat in this place would deafen a body''-Madge

Good post, if u know at least this going in you can write a load on it

I am very confident in my English for sure, it is just refreshing my knowledge of the set texts so I have something concrete to refer to that's vital for me at this point, hope this thread is helping others, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I can't exactly remember the bits that aren't relevant to the exam but weren't Boyle and Gar's mother going out or something but she married SB presumably because he was more respectable? Or have I filled that in myself?:pac:

The best quote to use is "I don't know"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Big moment would have to be when gar fails to impress senator doogan and thus, failed to get kates hand in marraige. A strong reason for leaving to america no doubt! Also when we see aunt lizz basically pleading with gar to come is pathetic.

Big moment would have to be when gar fails to impress senator doogan and thus, failed to get kates hand in marraige. A strong reason for leaving to america no doubt! Also when we see aunt lizz basically pleading with gar to come is pathetic.

Not to offend or criticise in a mean way but how could this moment be used in relation to a theme?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

• Advertisement

Not to offend or criticise in a mean way but how could this moment be used in relation to a theme?

Cultural context shows class division between people in ballybeg. Senator doogan doesnt want kate to marry a shopkeeper!

The theme of LOVE... Or failed Love. We see this is All texts. Also in CP where Toto fails with Elana, and elsewhere we see in CIOTDITN [Curious Incident] That Christopher falls out of love with his father Ed as he cannot trust him again, but in contrast to the other two texts Chris does eventually trust his father again and does find Love in both Sandy and Ed.

phic wrote: »

If this is the case then this quote may be useful in putting forward the argument that the stoicism and stony-faced attitudes of males in Ballybeg and Irish society at large at this time period was preserved through fathers being the only role models in the "bubble" of Donegal or whatever other small mini-society they existed within and rarely left - only when people embarked on a journey to America were they exposed to liberal opinions and the likes!
    The theme of LOVE... Or failed Love. We see this is All texts. Also in CP where Toto fails with Elana, and elsewhere we see in CIOTDITN [Curious Incident] That Christopher falls out of love with his father Ed as he cannot trust him again, but in contrast to the other two texts Chris does eventually trust his father again and does find Love in both Sandy and Ed.

Fair enough, I cover the theme of a father son relationship mostly and I personally wouldn't go for that PoV as a matter of style and personal writing. I don't do CIOTDITNT either.

this place will be quiet enough, soon enough, long enough.-madge trying to get s.b and gar to talk

"screwballs say something! say something father!"-Gar

"what would you care about money Canon, as long as you get your three weeks in tenerife every winter"-not sure thats the right wording but thats the gist of it! Private, attitude to religion.

If this is the case then this quote may be useful in putting forward the argument that the stoicism and stony-faced attitudes of males in Ballybeg and Irish society at large at this time period was preserved through fathers being the only role models in the "bubble" of Donegal or whatever other small mini-society they existed within and rarely left - only when people embarked on a journey to America were they exposed to liberal opinions and the likes!

Don't really understand that logic...?

Don't really understand that logic...?

The fact that Gar is the way he is is caused by (in Gar's eyes) his father and his ways - it could be said that "You could have been my father" to a man who is utterly emotional is a bit of a "if only" - maybe then he would not be repressed and hardened to other people

The fact that Gar is the way he is is caused by (in Gar's eyes) his father and his ways - it could be said that "You could have been my father" to a man who is utterly emotional is a bit of a "if only" - maybe then he would not be repressed and hardened to other people

Oh ok I see! yeah i'd definitly agree with that! Sorry didn't understand your first explanation!

'Suppose we cant complain'-sb every night-stuck in routine+emotinally stunted

'So How are the O'donnel family?'-canon every visit-routine control-even speech is curtailed and predictable

grand daughter of Russian prince- gar escaping through fantasy-living bachelor life in philadelphia

Oh ok I see! yeah i'd definitly agree with that! Sorry didn't understand your first explanation!

No problem - not at my most articulate when writing posts on this forum :P Hope my ideas are useful to you if you're stuck, too.

• Advertisement

Gar private's ability to predict every word S.B says highlights the monotonous, predictable culture they live in and ultimately highlights the type of 'strong, silent men' so evident in ballybeg. Nice thread btw! Great revision!

Advertisement