Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philadelphia, Here I Come! key moments and quotes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

Don't forget about Gar and the "blue boat". He has a memory of that with S.B. and sees it as the only time S.B. was unpredictable and fun. S.B. has little memory and Gar wonders if he has imagined it. Private says (not a quote) something along the lines of 'if you remember this S.B., there might be some hope and I'll stay'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

^thanks nearly forgot bout that! Really good for GV+V. Another reason for gar's departure.. The ten minutes of extra work SB gets gar to do could also be seen as a way to get a few extra minutes with his son before he leaves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Also a way of showing how even with good intentions the poor handling of emotions because of SB's inept communicative efforts wins out and breaks the relationship down bit by bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

uick question about the 'wee salor suit'... was this on Gar's first day of school?

Okay, spent the last half-hour or so making brief notes and quotes...

Key moments for Philadelphia, Here I Come:

- S.B. reading newspaper upside down he really will miss Gar. CC - strong silent men in society

- S.B. talking to Made about 'wee sailor suit' and Gar's first day at school
    C.C - despite persona, S.B. does love Gar

- Gar predicting everyting S.B. is going to do and say
    C.C - again, role of men in society - predictable

- Gar lashing out at Kathy Doogan (Kathy or Katy?)
    T/I - poor communication

- Aunt Lizzy talking to Gar about coming to America etc.
    T/I - Lizzie able to communicate more clearly...C.C - America-Ireland, all that

- Gar failing to impress Sen. Doogan
    C.C - social classes

- Gar's friends visiting only after Made asked them
    C.C - poor communication in men...T/I - poor communication

- Gar's memory of the day at the lake on the 'blue boat'. S.B. when asked if he remembers replies "No, no I don't
    T/I - poor communication

Added a brief note after the key moments. C.C is Cultural Context and T/I is Theme/Issue (communication and lack thereof, in my case).

Useful quotes for Philadelphia...

"I could hear his bed creaking" - Madge (about S.B. - cannot sleep because he is thinking about Gar leaving despite his outward persona)

"But I'm damned if I am going to speak to him first" - Gar (stubborness, lack of communication)

"God, they'll wipe the bloody floor with me" - Gar (before meeting Sen. Doogan, social classes)

"We embarrass one another" - Gar (about S.B)

"Not like the O'Donnells, you know kinda cold" - Lizzie

"I hear no complaints" - Kate Doogan (shows distance between her and her husband, Dr. King, really wants to be with Gar)

"To hell with all strong silent men" - Gar (can be used in pretty much any answer about anything!)

"No, no I don't" - S.B. (when asked if he remembers the day on the lake)

"When the boss was his age, he was the very same....he'll turn out just the same" - Madge (talking about S.B. and Gar's similiarities)

"I don't know, I don't know" - last lines of the play

Advertisement