Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Faction

Options
  • 05-06-2009 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭

Just spent the last three hours playing the single player mode - and it's most fun I've had with a single game since GTA: Vice City on the PS2. Everything from the graphics to the mission to the subtle 80s Total Recall-esque soundtrack is perfect.

I still have not seen any slow-down or lag, which is amazing especially when you drop a massive tower on top of another building that crushes a car setting off secondary explosions including all the proximity mines and/or MOAB you set up beforehand. It pretty much takes the promise of Mercenaries and lives up to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Anyone know when its out on PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Guerrilla? *checks steam* No date yet. Its marked as coming soon though.

Funny though, the Coming Soon list looks like its in chronological order regardless. Hearts of Iron II comes out in August, and Tropico 3 is scheduled for September. Red Faction Guerrilla sits right in between these two titles. Expect a Mid-August/early September release.

The first was good and had great single. The 2nd was great and had Greater multiplayer (well the bots were fun so you end up playing it more than you would have Halo's multiplayer, offline) so I expect great things from Guerrilla.

click HD!

<--- O_O :D

Overheal wrote: »
    Guerrilla? *checks steam* No date yet. Its marked as coming soon though.

Funny though, the Coming Soon list looks like its in chronological order regardless. Hearts of Iron II comes out in August, and Tropico 3 is scheduled for September. Red Faction Guerrilla sits right in between these two titles. Expect a Mid-August/early September release.

The first was good and had great single. The 2nd was great and had Greater multiplayer (well the bots were fun so you end up playing it more than you would have Halo's multiplayer, offline) so I expect great things from Guerrilla.

wont be buying it on steam tho, too expensive :P

Does look very good, i like Volition games under rated, bugged but generally worth the effort to get them working on PC :D

every game is too expensive at launch. Thats just the facts :pac:

I probably wont buy it though, only because my laptop has nearly reached the end of its Minimum Requirements Lifespan (it can run Crisis on the bare mins.. which is neat), and I somehow doubt I'll be able to get this game to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Just spent the last three hours playing the single player mode - and it's most fun I've had with a single game since GTA: Vice City on the PS2. Everything from the graphics to the mission to the subtle 80s Total Recall-esque soundtrack is perfect.

I still have not seen any slow-down or lag, which is amazing especially when you drop a massive tower on top of another building that crushes a car setting off secondary explosions including all the proximity mines and/or MOAB you set up beforehand. It pretty much takes the promise of Mercenaries and lives up to it.

Whats the missons like though? Is there even a decent plot to it (first two had decent enough plots for FPS)?

• Advertisement

check the first youtube video above for short plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I played the Demo and one word came to mind... "meh".. that's not even a word!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Brilliant game, very fun and quite addictive. Multiplayer is top notch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

did someone on this thread say that red faction 2 was good?

srs?

you got a problem with that?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I do. It was awful, a console FPS through and through.

I disagree. Cared less for the campaign in hindsight but the multiplayer was fun. The weapons were great, though I could see how a n00b (^) might get frustrated with a railgun that can see through walls :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

The 2nd Red Faction had such a disappointed single player, so linear and the Geo-Mod stuff was hardly used. The multiplayer was excellent though, really expanded on the first. I think I'll pick up Guerilla cheap at some point, like I did with 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Guerilla is fun, blowing up buildings has never been so much fun :D

The game is quite frustrating though, enemies spawn incessantly as soon as you sneeze near one and assaulting any larger stronghold has a high chance to lead to death, over and over and over :mad:

And as a small hint, before you complete the last "Liberation" mission in an area, complete the side quests first as they will vanish after and completing these is how you unlock some of the meatier weapons and upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd say I'm halfway through this. It's very good, but there is a few annoyances.

The Good
    • Blowing up stuff looks amazing.
    • The Control/Morale system works well.
    • The weapons satisfy for the most part.
    • Side missions are pretty good.
    The Bad
    • PEOPLE WILL NOT LEAVE YOU ALONE TO HAVE FUN WITH THE DESTRUCTION!
    • Gunfights are bogey, you die very easily a lot of the time.
    • The graphics are not very good.
    • Mars feels desolate in all the wrong ways. Game not stylized enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I wanna know how they're fighting on Mars surface without EVA suits.

In the original I remember making a run for the communications tower in a EVA suit (sort of) so i could contact the earth forces.

Its set 50 years after the first game, basic terraforming has kicked in and given a slight atmosphere. The Oasis area has signs of greenery growing too, hence its name.

So I take it the console version has launched and were waiting on the PC version then

Yep, next August from what I gather.

you mean this august. THIS august.

Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I like it but at the same time can get board of it easily... having said that those big jeeps rock...

i like the weapons you can get to...

its not a bad game tho i think rating it at 93% was just slightly ott or an act of unisef but in total the games good, not much story line to it... :( not many good video clips etc... but its great bashing stuff up and blowing stuff up and well its entertainment..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

The whole game is basically the physics engine with a bit of direction thrown in via the pretty awful storyline.

Having said that smashing stuff is incredibly fun and the potential for ****ing around for hours is big.

Out on pc 26th of june according to play.

I have to say the multi-player is damn good fun. Loving demolition mode, where 1 player on each team earns points by blowing stuff up.

Advertisement