Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbeth question?

Options
  • 05-06-2009 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just looking for pointers on macbeth.

Can yis recomend me any topics for....

Witches
    Banquo
    Deception
    Evil

I lost half my prep sheets and i'm starting to get a leeeeeetle bit panicky :o:(

Comments

What do you mean, do you need quotes or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Tragic hero!
    It'll do for loads of questions, 'Macbeth is a complex charachter', 'We feel very little sympathy for Macbeth, discuss'.. but you'd disagree with it to an extent, obviously.
    There are a whole bunch of questions you can twist to fit it if you do it under the points of

-loved and admired
    -fatal flaw
    -spur
    -moral degeneration
    -moral regeneration
    -wins back audience.

Good luck tomorrow!!

EDIT: I read that post wrong, sorry. But still tragic hero!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

What do you mean, do you need quotes or what?
    Nah, like topics to write under?.

Like for kingship, i know i'm going to go about it by writing about each individual kings strengths and weaknesses

Like for kingship, i know i'm going to go about it by writing about each individual kings strengths and weaknesses

I'd throw Macduff in there too. Say that he is the embodiment of what a king should be, and his charachter is undeveloped to show how tyrannical a king Macbeth was.

Tragic hero!
    It'll do for loads of questions, 'Macbeth is a complex charachter', 'We feel very little sympathy for Macbeth, discuss'.. but you'd disagree with it to an extent, obviously.
    There are a whole bunch of questions you can twist to fit it if you do it under the points of

-loved and admired
    -fatal flaw
    -spur
    -moral degeneration
    -moral regeneration
    -wins back audience.

Good luck tomorrow!!

EDIT: I read that post wrong, sorry. But still tragic hero!
    Thanks De, that's actually a clever idea!!. Universal themes! :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

You could do something similar for evil.

Write about the Witches, Macbeth, Lady Macbeth. Maybe Banquo and him not speaking out about the murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Learn a few very versatile quotes that can be easily manipulated for your use rather than fitting sentences around them and prosper under any question tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

Hi all, just looking for pointers on macbeth.

Can yis recomend me any topics for....

Witches
    Banquo
    Deception
    Evil

I lost half my prep sheets and i'm starting to get a leeeeeetle bit panicky :o:(

Witches - their role; awakening macbeth's ambitions to kill duncan. Lulling him into a false sense of security "no one of woman born" will harm him etc. They're a force of evil.

Banquo - A contrast to macbeth. He reacts differently to witches. He also undergoes moral decay, but not as much as macbeth. He says he will investigate duncan's murder but doesn't. He is clouded by the ambition he has for his sons to be kings. Shows dignity when he tells Fleance to escape.

Banquo was on the leaked paper folks remember

I'd throw Macduff in there too. Say that he is the embodiment of what a king should be, and his charachter is undeveloped to show how tyrannical a king Macbeth was.

Oh, very clever!.Hadn't thought of that!. Thanks!! :D.

I was actually gonna use malcolm for something similiar, and say *ideally* what he'd be like!.

That's far better :).
    You could do something similar for evil.

Write about the Witches, Macbeth, Lady Macbeth. Maybe Banquo and him not speaking out about the murder.

*Makes notes*

Thanks SP! :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

Claypigeon wrote: »

Doesn't mean he won't come up. Two different people (teams?) made both papers without referencing each other, so who knows?!

BLARG wrote: »
    Doesn't mean he won't come up. Two different people (teams?) made both papers without referencing each other, so who knows?!

True but really I do not think it was a common question in the first place, you're really doing a Bon Jovi on it if you're banking on him coming up

BLARG wrote: »
    Witches - their role; awakening macbeth's ambitions to kill duncan. Lulling him into a false sense of security "no one of woman born" will harm him etc. They're a force of evil.

Banquo - A contrast to macbeth. He reacts differently to witches. He also undergoes moral decay, but not as much as macbeth. He says he will investigate duncan's murder but doesn't. He is clouded by the ambition he has for his sons to be kings. Shows dignity when he tells Fleance to escape.

+1. He also never spoke out about the death of Duncan, even though he knew Macbeth killed him. Guilty by association.

Very true, could still come up though!. Bare in mind that banquo came up as the "dud" question on that paper. He might come up tomorow with something even harder to answer on beside it!.

True but really I do not think it was a common question in the first place, you're really doing a Bon Jovi on it if you're banking on him coming up

Bon Jovi?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

if witches come up i will literally make love with the paper-make of that what will you will..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

This is my plan for good v evil:

Intro....explain the question thats asked
    1: Witches-evil
    2: Lady Macbeth-evil
    3: Ambition in Macbeths mind .........all 3 contribute to Macbeth becoming evil

4: Banquo-struggles to choose between good and evil
    5: Duncan/Malcolm/King Edward-good
    6: Macduff-symbol of good vs Macbeth symbol of evil

7: How macbeth pays for choosing evil

Conclude: Good overthrows evil

Thats from a few plans from books/teachers notes/my own notes. I just write plans for essays, don't learn off the whole thing, just hope this sorta thing will be inspiration :p

Advertisement