Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing a door lock

Options
  • 05-06-2009 10:37pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just moved home, and someone has already lost the key to the utility room. The door is an external one, not sure is it aluminium or pvc. Lock has Mile printed on it. Luckily the door was unlocked so I can open the lock from the inside. Are these locks readily available in hardware stores? I'm assuming I don't need to replace the door! :eek:

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

No you dont need to replace the door . If its a pvc or alum door then the lock is a clyinder lock . The standard way of changing the lock is to insert the key twist a little unscrew the holding screw at side of the door just beside the lock and then pull out the clyinder easy . No Key ! :eek: then unscrew the screw at the side of the door get a 6mm bit and bore through the key side {where the key gos }of the clyinder the same again with a 8 and 12mm high speed drill bit when his is done get a flat head screw driver and hit it in to the clyinder and then twist a few times . The lock will collaspe . whem getting the new lock make sure you get the clyinder the same length again . Another tip get one with a tumb turn on the inside recommed for easy exits ei fires .
    Or get a lock-smith charges about 80€ .

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lpm

Exactly as TP says and if your up around Ballymount area you could try calling into a crowd called Balmar or KCC as they both do the barrel your looking for, sometimes refered to as a Europrofile cylinder. There normally a good bit cheaper than Locksmiths/hardwares. As TP mentioned make sure you get the same length. Also the cam in the barrel(the bar in middle which unlock/locks your door mech) can be off center sometimes. Probably best to bring your old lock with you.

Advertisement