Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remember my L.C... Others memories?

Options
  • 05-06-2009 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

Donno if i can put this here- move if need be...

While the leaving is happening lets look back at our own...This is mine...

Year ... 2004

Paper(s) you dreaded ... Maths

Highest mark ... History (B1)

Lowest Mark .... Maths (D2)

Memories of it.... Being the only one of my mates who knew what DNA stood for.

Coming out of my biology exam yelling to my friends "Yay they had the reproductive system on it Ive done enough of that in real life ha ha!!!" and to look across the road and my dad standing there:D

So anyone else want to reminisce??? (sp)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

I'll Let you Know june 17th :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Year: 2007
    Highest Score: Geography B1
    Lowest Score: 4 B3s. Also B at OL Irish.

Memories, almost getting sick after maths paper 1, spending three nights during it in the pub. Playing 32 games of pool on results day, I won 17-15. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

-Kenny- wrote: »
    I'll Let you Know june 17th :D:D:D:D

So im the only oldie eh...:( Pah... maybe this should be moved...Mods???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Year: 2007

Paper you dreaded: Irish

Highest mark: A1 - a few

Lowest Mark: B2 - Irish

Memories of it: Studying ten hours a day towards the end. And going home and tidying my room when the exams were over because I didn't know what to do if there was nothing to study :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

^^^ god, you sound arrogant! (No offence!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭piggies

you didn't know what to do without study??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭HAPPYGIRL

^^^ god, you sound arrogant! (No offence!)

No he doesn't, he said he studied 10 hours a day, so i reckon he deserved the good grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I actually remember surprisingly little about it ... for the most part I had gotten to the stage of being too bored with the whole three ring circus to stress unduly about it any more.

The exception being Irish 1 (Irish being my bête noire at the best of times). Two memories stick out:
    - reading the paper and encountering some very awkward stuff, and muttering "f___ing p____s" under my breath (with reference to the examiners) only to glance up and realise the superintendent was standing beside me, and was stuffing his knuckles in his mouth trying not to laugh! He told me after the exam that he was an Irish teacher himself, and could understand my reaction.
    - going out at lunchtime and buying my first packet of 10 cigarettes, and smoking most of them before the afternoon session. The only time my normal mid-day relaxation technique failed me! :pac:

Apart from that ...

... being slightly frustrated that I had an exam on the last day, and most of the gang would be celebrating well before me.

... lying out on the grass with the sun on our backs, and teasing the girls to get their tops off as well (mixed school). A few of them getting fed up with us and deciding to go for it, albeit lying face (ahem!) down on the grass. Still saw more of some of them than I had previously though! \o/ :D

... a local dog, who spent a lot of his time around the school and had attached himself to me as most animals do, deciding to wander into the exam hall and fall asleep at my feet. The superintendent came down to shoo him out, but obviously decided that as he was quiet it would cause more commotion to get rid of him than leave him. He didn't move a muscle until about 2 minutes before the end, when he sat up and gave a huge yawn as much as to say "Ok, enough! Let's get out of here!" ... set everyone off giggling. :pac:

... lots of celebrating and silly pranks, some of it quite daft tbh, but harmless at the same time. My mother getting up on Saturday morning to find every bed, sofa and even floorspace in the house occupied by 17 year old males (un)dressed for the heat. Heard her telling my father later that day that he really needed to get back training and get fit! I don't think he was impressed ... >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Year

Paper(s) you dreaded
    French. I was bordering failing written and tape throughout 6th year cause I found it way harder than the oral, which for some reason I always did fairly ok in.

Highest mark
    Music (A1)

Lowest Mark
    French (C3)

Memories of it
    - The feeling of joy seeing Derek Mahon's name on the list of poets.
    - Coming out of a Maths exam happy for the first time in 5 years.
    - Writing so much and so fast in Geography and History my hand started twitching.
    - Leaving my Irish exam knowing after 14 years I'll never have to learn the language ever again.
    - Leaving myself 70 minutes between French and History to cram in 5-6 essays. (Not to be recommended!)
    - The anger of realising I got 0/30 for misreading a question in Geo,
    - The shock of finding out I actually failed my french tape, scrapped 42% in my written, yet somehow got 82% in my oral.
    - The :D face for getting 50/50 in my poetry, only to turn to :( for getting 25/60 in Othello.
    - But easily the best feeling of all, knowing I scrapped a place in my course by 5 points.

But while I think of it, the one memory that stands out most of all was the hours leading up to the music exam. We all decided to meet up in the morning to go over stuff, but we ended up just lying around in the grass for a good 3 hours talking about old times. None of us even cared too much about cramming or getting worried over it, we just had some laugh going nuts outside. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Year ... 2007

Paper(s) you dreaded ... History

Highest mark ... Music (A1)

Lowest Mark .... Economics (D2)

Memories of it.... Opening my History paper and acing the mother fcuker!!!!

Getting pissed the night before my German exam (not recommended) and still managing to get a B3 in it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Year ... 2008, oh so long ago!

Paper(s) you dreaded ... Hm... I wasn't looking forward to English 2 at any rate, and by the time Applied Maths came along I was well fed up with doing exams (hilariously the same thing happened to me yesterday in my Mechanics exam). Art History was a well dodge one as well.

Highest mark ... Hm. Okay, well, I got 6 A1s, and didn't view my scripts, but I'd guess that I did the best in either Maths or Physics. I shall never know. :/

Lowest Mark .... In a single paper, I'd say it was Art History, bit of a sham, but I think overall it was probably French (A2).

Memories of it....
    -- Left Irish 1 an hour early and went and sat in the sun eating icecream with the rest of the girls... then was too blind and dizzy to actually see anything in the aural afterwards!
    -- Also in Irish 1, it was so hot they opened all the doors in the sports centre, so I spent a good 10 minutes staring outside watching a cat, instead of... doing the exam. That said I left that exam absolutely pumped, because I wrote an EPIC debate about The Media.
    -- Finishing Music to the cheers of everyone in the class but me, who had applied maths the next day. And when Seachanges came on in the tape, the invigilator almost fell out of her chair.
    -- Walking out of my final exam, about a week after most people were off, for it to start raining... (And interestingly enough the same thing has happened for college exams now... damn j00 rain!)
    -- Oh, and the morning of applied maths my parents gave me an mp3 player randomly, so instead of doing last minute revision I spent 3 hours trying to get Windows to recognise the damn contraption, only to have Linux do it immediately. The walk up to school to do Applied Maths was angry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Year 1980

Paper(s) you dreaded Maths 2

Highest mark Maths, German and Irish

Lowest Mark English and Physics

Memories of it I remember having a crappy seat that faced into a wall and a supervisor that wore quite an overpowering flowery perfume. I used to dread her wafting towards me. I remember the comprehension piece in German was very confusing - afterards we found it was some really obscure olde worlde form of German - we probably all got full marks on that question (hurrah!). I remember being really pleased with my Irish essay.
    I can hardly remember what I had for dinner yesterday.

Okay, well, I got 6 A1s
    >.<
    Left Irish 1 an hour early and went and sat in the sun eating icecream with the rest of the girls...
    Yore a wimmenz?! :eek:

I always thought you were a guy!

It's the nick, it suggests ... well, it suggests a guy! >_>

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Year: 2004

Paper(s) you dreaded: History - I still don't understand it.

Highest mark: Ordinary maths (A1) but really Home Ec and English (A2)

Lowest mark: History (C3) and I was utterly delighted that I passed it.

Memories of it: It was in the middle of a heatwave so I was walking around with my blouse open as much as I could while remaining covered up and I was wearing a skirt for the first time in school since 3rd year. I was the first in my school to finish that year. I was finished within the first 5 days. I remember walking out of the final exam which was history I think and just lying on the floor. I was so happy.

I remember the Home Ec exam vividly. It was the first year of the new course and the exam was different to the sample papers. Fish came up in Q1 which I had to do. I had gone through 6 years of Home Ec refusing to learn about fish because I thought I would never need to know it. I cried after that exam, convinced I had failed. When I got the A2 I was so happy.

I remember sitting on the stairs outside the exam centre talking to my history teacher about the fact that I had not prepared a special study and that if the Léinte Gorma (Blue Shirts) did not come up as an option instead I was dead.

Mostly I remember enjoying the whole experience. I was nervous but not terribly stressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

>.<

In that case you'll be surprised to know that I am a woman.

>.<

Everyone thinks I'm male. >.< Does "purple" not sound terribly feminine?

That_Guy wrote: »
    In that case you'll be surprised to know that I am a woman.
    I don't care ... I'll love you anyway! :pac:
    Everyone thinks I'm male. >.< Does "purple" not sound terribly feminine?
    Not in the context of "fist" and "mixer"!

I refuse to explain that to a laydee! >_>

Oh dear, do you think we're corrupting these youngsters?! :pac:

Not in the context of "fist" and "mixer"!

I refuse to explain that to a laydee! >_>
    I have also been told that a lot, but I refuse to believe everyone thinks it. : ( I came up with this name when I was 12, I can assure you there are not supposed to be any undertones. Or overtones. Or any form of harmonic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 SwordsRed

Year ... 2008

Paper(s) you dreaded ... French- Was never any use at the subject so I was convinced I was going to fail. Ended up with a higher level B3:)

Highest mark ... French (B3) (A2 in Ordinary level Irish)

Lowest Mark .... Physics (D1)

Memories of it.... How calm I was on the first day. I just assumed Id be sa nervous wreck but I just relaxed and talked to friends before we went in.
    Trying to cheer up my mate and convince him he would get some marks for his answer to one of the French questions after misinterperating it and wouldnt fail. He ended up passing.:)
    The sunshine leading up to my final two exams before disappearing the minute I walked out of Accounting.
    How sore my arm was after History and English paper 2. Theres just a ridiculous amount of writing involved.
    Signing my name in the wrong space for my Irish oral. The examiner was brilliant. Somehow got into a conversation with him in in Irsh about Shels and Leeds United.
    Missing my first choice course by 10 points and it turning out to be one of the best things that ever happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭cheater

Year ... 2007

Paper(s) you dreaded ... Ahh.. none really German maybe and Economics because it was my last exam and just wanted to be finished but I picked easy subjects :D

Highest mark ... English (A1) - 97% after viewing my script :) 296/300 Paper 1, 286/300 Paper 2

Lowest Mark .... German (C3)

Memories of it.... Not getting stressed out by any exam, and being surprised about how much it had been hyped up by teachers and people before me and it turning out to be just like any other exam
    --Leaving OL Maths after about an hour, so easy lol
    --Results night :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Kimmy-XxX

Year ... 2008

Paper(s) you dreaded ... Irish/Biology

Highest mark ... English, Classics, Business, History, Maths (A1)

Lowest Mark .... Irish (B3)...was delighted with that!

Memories of it.... Crying my eyes out on results day and making an utter show of myself...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Year: 2008

Paper(s) you dreaded: Geography/Accounting

Highest mark: 7A1s

Lowest Mark: English C1 - never studied

Memories of it:
    • Gettting the Accounting to Balance
    • Failing Poetry in my English
    • Q9 in Applied Maths - saved my life
    • Driving down town on my LC results day!
    • Heading to Croatia within hours of my last exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Exam dreaded - HL irish, HL french

Highest mark - A2 HL business

Lowest mark - C3 HL Irish

Memories:
    -the scorching weather
    -eating rib rolls with onion and cheese at lunch time
    -having a week off between my 2nd last exam (business) and my last exam:D (economics)!
    -going to the states the day after my last exam. woot woot
    -results night .... wait i don't really have any memories of that night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

Year 2008

Paper(s) you dreaded Business (hadn't learned it), Latin (couldn't do it)

Highest mark A1

Lowest Mark B1

Memories

Cramming in the second week during the heatwave... while neighbours had a barbeque
    Finishing up biology - brought a long, hard week to an end!
    Sitting under the window in my exam centre...a window which wouldn't close, and therefore being exposed to the elements throughout the LC (including the rain which blew in during English P1)
    Suprise at Irish P2 - in nearly every respect, it was identical to the mock. Shock at History - apart from Vietnam in the documents q, every prediction made was wildly inaccurate (for which we blamed the grind schools nearby!)
    The feeling after finishing my last exam (Latin) - strangely, it was a bit of a let down!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Year ... 2006

Paper(s) you dreaded ... Physics

Highest mark ... English (A2)

Lowest Mark .... Physics (E)

Memories of it.... The day before English Paper 2 my mate came up with Pride and Prejudice on DVD and a bunch of us watched. At the end said mate turns to me and goes "I remember none of that movie fom the book". He didn't do well.

Getting robbed in Classical Studies. Got something like a C1 when it should have been higher. My teacher agreed with me (and she was one of those teachers that you knew you done well when you got a good mark off her. She marked ridiculously hard). The problem was that the CS paper is so vast that you can pick and choose what you study in the course. Our teacher teaches bits of the course that are not generally chosen and markers have no experience in marking them. It still annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 thelittleone

year ... 2006

Paper(s) you dreaded ... Biology (Hated it!)

Highest mark ... B1 In music and French

Lowest Mark .... C3 in Biology

Memories of it.... having a weeks gap between my last exam and music and being unable to study!

D one poet id studied coming up in english

getting my results and realising id passed biology!

sitting out side eating ice creams before the afternoon exams

getting my cao offers resulting in the best 3 years of my life:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭piggies

everyone seems to have gotten A's in english :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Year: 2008

Best Grade: Home Ec, B1
    Worst Grade: History, C3

MEMORIES!!!
    Going out for lunch after English Paper One, getting soaked, having to sit Home Ec with wet hair and jeans. Boo!
    Finishing Irish Paper One after 40 minutes, going outside to soak up the sun. Got VERY burnt! Sat through Business with sunburnt HANDS. Made it hard to write....
    Locking my keys (and my notes!) in my locker two hours before History (and my last paper). Running around the school looking for a caretaker to break it open. Good times!

And finally....going to Fibbers when it was all over, getting drunk as I dunno what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

wow...lots of very clever people in here
    id love to get an a in my leaving,at this point im aiming for c's

Advertisement