Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chickenfoot

• 05-06-2009 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Picked up their album today and gave it a few spins whilst driving.

If you like Van Halen, and well played rock, then this could be for you.

It has some cheesy moments, but generally it brings the best qualities of it's members to the surface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wolEMOmsqGA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Simply the most awesome band ever.

Sammy Hagar
    Joe Satriani
    Michael Anthony
    Chad Smith

LOOK ^^^^ tell me thats not awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

anything with st joe in it.. is worth a listen;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Tommy the Cat

It's bloody awful, it has that 80's sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

The album is good but I am a fan of Hagar pre and post Van Halen. One good thing to come out of this is it seems to have been the kick in the arse EVH needed to do something. He is now saying that VH with Lee Roth are working on new material and hopefully bringing out a new album. He's still a pr*ck for the way he treats people but one hell of a guitarist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

aye, posted a thread on this a while back....got feic all response. thought joe and sammy et al werent loved around here....ah well

• Advertisement

Sorry I missed that thread. Been a fan of Sammy since the late seventies,not a huge fan of Montrose. Red and Live loud and clear were among the first albums I bought,they are still in the attic (vinyl) but replaced them on cd. Don't know an awful lot about Satriani but would like to see them live but can't go to Cork.
    I like both versions of Van Halen. Didn't care for Cherone. But I think Chickenfoot will create more interest in Van Halen if Eddie is true to his word and does bring out a new album with Dave. Still think he treated Mike very badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

I suppose you are one of those green day fans :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Tommy the Cat

Nope. I think the musicians amazing are amazing in fact. Just doesnt mean they'll make great music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

it has that 80's sound.

I think that's the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I think that's the point.

Sounds to me like it's picking up where Sammy would have liked things with VH to continue after Balance, problem was Eddie was too messed up in the head and was too busy being f*cked in the arse by record company execs to produce a greatest hits album.

Fan of both guitarists myself, but prefer Satch over Eddie any day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mcronnymc

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Sounds to me like it's picking up where Sammy would have liked things with VH to continue after Balance, problem was Eddie was too messed up in the head and was too busy being f*cked in the arse by record company execs to produce a greatest hits album.

Fan of both guitarists myself, but prefer Satch over Eddie any day of the week.

satch has really brought a new element to his playing fast and now hits more about feel and groove. Been able to master both of these arts really marks him out as one of the best guitar players of our generation

Oh and for those of you who aren't aware... they're playing over here in less than 3 weeks.
    Marquee in Cork - June 23rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

Teutorix wrote: »
    Simply the most awesome band ever.

Sammy Hagar
    Joe Satriani
    Michael Anthony
    Chad Smith

LOOK ^^^^ tell me thats not awesome

Thats not awesome, Sammy Hagar is a bigger d!ck than Lee Roth, Chad smith has to be the most plain, boring, simple, oh and the worse drummer around, Joe Satriani is a good guitar player but a d!ck also, Michael Anthony not so bad! too me this is just a band full of cockey twats which will end in tears!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

hyn-zie wrote: »
    Thats not awesome, Sammy Hagar is a bigger d!ck than Lee Roth, Chad smith has to be the most plain, boring, simple, oh and the worse drummer around, Joe Satriani is a good guitar player but a d!ck also, Michael Anthony not so bad! too me this is just a band full of cockey twats which will end in tears!!!

clearly you dont know what you talking about, joe satriani is one of the most down to earth musicians on the planet, humbliest f$cker you could ever meet, your clearly talking outta your hole if you think ANYBODY is a bigger dick then david lee roth..... go back to listen to lady gaga or whatever it is that satisfies your primitive intillect

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

clearly you dont know what you talking about, joe satriani is one of the most down to earth musicians on the planet, humbliest f$cker you could ever meet, your clearly talking outta your hole if you think ANYBODY has a bigger dick then david lee roth..... go back to listen to lady gaga or whatever it is that satisfies your primitive intillect

Bigger d!ck than who????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Bigger d!ck than who????
    Real mature.

Have you actually even listened to a song yet?

Thats not awesome, Sammy Hagar is a bigger d!ck than Lee Roth,

Just wondering what your grounds for that statement are exactly?
    Chad smith has to be the most plain, boring, simple, oh and the worse drummer around

Try finding some of his work OUTSIDE of the Chili's, then come back to me.
    Joe Satriani is a good guitar player but a d!ck also, Michael Anthony not so bad! too me this is just a band full of cockey twats which will end in tears!!!

I dunno about the band ending in tears, but your post certainly had me in tears... for all the wrong reasons. ;)

I'd still like to see them live but can't go to Cork and there are a lot of other gigs this year. Sammy is a great frontman and all round entertainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

got the album today, going to see them in the marquee. the album is good, nothing spectacular, but fun and enjoyable, and i get the impression the songs will sound a hell of a lot better live than on the album. looking forward to the gig!

I really wanna go as well, but i've got my psychology exam the day beforehand and i'm gonna be studying like a bastard in the days leading up to it, that there's no way i'm gonna be able to handle the journey down from Dublin the day after. :(

• Advertisement

just back from the gig. they were pretty darn good. Can't hear anything except a high pitched ringing in my ears! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

must be amazing so, cant beat a 80s metal sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

im not mad into the chilis...but as for chad smith.....that cat can really play the drums.....check out their version of search and destroy on youtube...and wile your at it listen to "not of this earth" by satriani.....i don't even like satriani that much but that album kicks ass....credit where credit is due

Roar when yo get a chance what was the setlist like and was there a good crowd at the show. Thanks.

Rednik they played the album from start to finish, no chilis or van halen stuff, which was a good move I think, with non album track "bitten by the wolf" thrown in as well

as for the crowd, i'd reckon maybe 1,500 which was pretty poor, marquee capacity is 5,000.

good atmosphere at it though, chad smith must have thrown about 100 drum sticks into the card, satriani did the same with his picks, as did michael anthony, and hagar had never played in ireland before apparently, and started chugging down guinness from a can on stage. hero.

got a cool tshirt as well, logo on the front and the tour venues on the back, 30 euro dollars was a bit saucy though!

Cheers for that Roar. I would love to have seen them, hopefully in the future. On the album, I have been listening to it in the car a lot and I think it is a really good album. There is no stand out track but all are very strong. I suppose it would have taken away from them if they had played VH or the peppers stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭yknaa

Got it on vinyl yesterday and having only listened to half it yet I like it so far
    Btw, vinyl has a link to the booklet which has web content, videos etc.
    www.chickenfoot.us/booklet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Forcefield

Great gig last night. Not sure there was 1500 there though. You must have had the beer goggles on Roar !!
    Great buzz from em.
    Chad Smith is nuts, Being in the Chillis that long obviously masks his drumming prowess cos he rocked.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

He was going crazy up there. They did an encore of the first song that Hagar wrote, and some other one I didnt know. I'd say there was only about 600-800 there, but it was still a great gig.

The support act was good, anyone catch their name?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

Album is good, I reckon they'll sound even better live.
    I'm going to the London show tonight.
    I've heard the encore on the tour so far is Hagars bad motor scooter and Deep purples Speed King.
    (I'm pretty sure you can see Satriani playing this with Deep purple on youtube)

Advertisement