Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chickenfoot

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Forcefield wrote: »
    Great gig last night. Not sure there was 1500 there though. You must have had the beer goggles on Roar !!

ha ha, I don't drink but I see your point, 1500 was a tad generous! :)

as for the album itself, it gets a bit "samey" i think, there's 4 or five great songs on it (Oh Yeah, Soap on a Rope being the highlights for me, and I quite like My Kinda Girl too)

in a live setting the songs sounded much better, and a special mention must go to Michael Anthony's fist pumping and pointing at the crowd, not to mention his angry "rock" faces. Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

Did they do much jamming / solo spots etc.., or pretty much play it as per the record?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

pretty much as per the record. sammy and chad do some chatting in between songs. watching Satriani solo is biblical.

Cheers.
    Satriani rocks, have seen him on solo tours a couple of times, lookin forward to seeing him in more of a standard roack band setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bohsmug

Was at the gig myself. Great show, really enjoyable. Finished with highway star.

Soap on a rope's a really cool song. I thought the band sounded better with the two guitars though.

EDIT:
    http://www.brianmay.com/whatsnew.html

Brian May on Chickenfoot
    June 22nd 2009

No - it's not a Ban-the-Bomb sign. It's explosive. It's .... a Chicken Foot!

For those who like to ROCK (enunciated with a deep gravelly voice, a la Tommy Vance ...), in a classic grass roots, frig-off, out-and-out real way ...

This is the new album you have to get.

Chicken Foot are a new California 'Super Group' of wondrous musicians having a ball together and playing REAL rock music.

Just reading the group line-up is enough to get your taste-buds going ... it's a Classic Rock Nerd's dream ... (I proudly count myself in that category) - the awesome Chad Smith (from Red Hot Chili Peppers) on drums ... undoubtedly one of the world's finest ... Michael Anthony (Van Halen) - undoubtedly one of the worlds greatest bass players ... on vocals Sammy Hagar (Montrose and Van Halen) ... undoubtedly one of the world's great rock and roll vocalists, writers, guitarist front men. And ... Jesus Christ ... who would you like on Guitar? Joe Satriani!!! Well, our cup overflows, a finer guitarist you can find nowhere on this planet ...

So ... these guys play FOR REAL in the studio (and soon in a theatre near you) - with no clicks, only big bangs. I have had this album in my car since I came back from LA doing American Idol ... I raced down to Sunset Strip where they were playing ... after the TV show was over ... to catch the end of the Chicken Foot show. And missed it! Very uncool. But I did come away clutching the new album in my hand. So - in the car? Well, it's been a problem really ... cos for a long time I could not get past track 3. Reason being ... it's so great. You just have to play it over and over again. It's called "Sexy Little Thing" ... a great great simple riff from Satriani ... one of those riffs everybody wishes they had thought of ... and then the colossal rhythm section kicks in ... Big fat rolling growly bass. .. and enormous drums. Somebody's gonna hate me for saying this, but I never quite felt Chili Peppers' records quite captured the truly monumental power of this guy Chad, who has become a great friend ... he played with us at the launch of WWRY in Vegas. On this record, you truly get the full effect of this frightening virtuoso hard hitter ... there is a naked snare drum hit on this track which KILLS me every time it comes around ... I have to turn it up and deafen myself every time ... it makes me yell ! So probably many people have seen me driving around town recently and screaming like a madman. Well, this is why. You get the same kind of feeling from Sammy Hagar as you did on the Van Halen tracks "Why can't this be Love" and "Best of Both Worlds" - pure excitement. He's pretty underrated as a singer, in my opinion ... never runs out of grit and top notes, or energy. Satriani? I LOVE hearing him play big fat rhythm - he still shreds and burns and performs impossible somersaults on the guitar ... but that driving rhythm playing is ... well, a total joy.

Enough. Go get it, please. It will cleanse and refresh and energise you.

Cheers
    Bri

• Advertisement

Endorsed by Brian May, must look out for him at the gig tonight, he should be easy to spot ;-)
    Some good videos from the Cork show on youtube, VHND have a handy list of links to em.

Well,
    I didn't see Brian May, but I did witness one hell of a show.
    The place was jammed and the band played their ar**s off.
    Played the entire album, pretty much in the same order with one extra bluesy track thrown in.
    Joe played a twin neck on this one and did a nice extended intro, and a cool slide solo.
    There was a few short impromptu jams between songs and they looked to be having a lot of fun.
    Sammy sat on the drum riser and played a lap steel intro to Bad motor scooter that was cool.
    They finished off with a storming version of Deep Purples Higway star,
    which finished up with Chad throwing and kicking his drums around the stage!

Seems pretty clear that if they come back to Lonodn they'll be in a bigger venue,
    so I feel lucky to have seen them up close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

hmm, just had a listen to Oh Yeah and quite liked it, youtubed their go at Highway Star and yelped when I saw satriani hit the solos, wonderful.

I think I'll be looking into these fellas a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I loved the gig the other night, had a blast.

Thought the band were on fire and seemed to be having a great laugh with eachother and the fans. Loved every second of it. Even managed to catch one of about 50 drum sticks chad smith threw into the audience during the gig :-) happy days. The songs come across alot heavier live than they do on cd, which is bloody great if you ask me.

p.s. sammy is one hard b@stard, he drinks guinness straight from the can, thats just *NASTY*

Advertisement