Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think I'm done for already.

Options
  • 05-06-2009 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Here's the thing. I need minimum 230 points.

I did an alright English P1 HL, a pretty pretty good OL Maths P1, a shocking Geography HL that I'm waiting to see if I've passed or not (my laptop shut of near the end of the exam, didn't get any extra time, and I lost an hour + 1/2 of stuff. My headmaster sent a letter to the department and explained to the superintendent and hopefully they'll pass me considering the circumstances were out of my control along with my field report that should get near full marks.

Now I have English P2 HL, which I'll do grand in, Maths P2 OL Monday, along with Irish which I hope to pass, then OL French which I'll do well in, and then Business HL / Economics HL.

I dunno if I can do it tbh. I have 4 HL's, could have failed one (the geog incident), and 3 OL's (2 count).

I think I'll be repeating next year *sigh*.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ramey

Don't give up hope. You need 230 points and you are doing 4 HL's and 2 OL's which count. A maximum of 520 points, you need to just pass subjects to get the amount of points you need, afaik. Even if you need a bit more, you did well in OL Maths P1 and also not so bad in English P1 HL.

By the sounds of it you will get passed in Geography with ease. Keep cramming everything and I assure you you will be pleased come August. It is easy to feel doubtful during the LC, and you're not the only one, myself included.

Seriously, don't give up hope and keep doing your best because that is all that you can ask for at the end of the day.

Good luck to you, you'll ace it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Here's the points you will get minimum based on what you've said

Irish 10
    english 60
    maths 30
    geography 50
    business 50
    economics 50
    french 30

total 270

and that's the minimum you are likely to get. The thing about the leaving is not to let a bad day affect the other exams. Remember it aint over till......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭imfreein09

how come you were doing your geog on a laptop? just curious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

imfreein09 wrote: »
    how come you were doing your geog on a laptop? just curious

Under the terms set out by the reasonable accomodation provision guidelines people with severe dyslexia and the like can use a laptop for writing and spelling for the examiner to correct it, they are not marked on grammar or spelling and are marked harder on content instead (from my understanding)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭kdak

seriously you'll do grand! you feel as if you did dreadful but you'll be pleasantly surprised on the results day! just keep working and it'll pay off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Claypigeon wrote: »
    Under the terms set out by the reasonable accomodation provision guidelines people with severe dyslexia and the like can use a laptop for writing and spelling for the examiner to correct it, they are not marked on grammar or spelling and are marked harder on content instead (from my understanding)

Or if there's anything to do with your hand writing being unreadable.

Or if you physically cannot write for a certain amount of time.

There's a variety of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

oh i never knew that actually.. thats interesting..
    my friend has dyslexia but shes always had to do exams like the rest of us.. il tell her about the laptop thingy (shes the year below), but then again maybe shes not severe:confused: meh, no harm in tellin her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭imfreein09

does that not take ages longer! jeze your laptop shutting down was unlucky you wil be ok thu, keep working and attemp everything. know ch 1-8 for ABQ this yr NB change epansion commmunications ratios marketing

oh i never knew that actually.. thats interesting..
    my friend has dyslexia but shes always had to do exams like the rest of us.. il tell her about the laptop thingy (shes the year below), but then again maybe shes not severe:confused: meh, no harm in tellin her

I think your dyslexia would have to be very bad to get to use a laptop.

Its more to do with Dyspraxia (Sp?), arthritis and musculo-skeletal problems.

Take ages?

If I were allowed to use my laptop for my exams I'd probably be off sunning myself in my garden within 30 minutes of every exam starting because I could get them typed up so quickly. (exaggeration of course but I type so, so much faster than I write).

The added bonus of neatness and being able to cut and paste text to me seems unfair as an advantage to such candidates, IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

They are not marked harder on content, however their actual leaving certificate carry's an astrix that states that "spelling and grammar was not taken into consideration" or wording to that effect.

Only thing it really effects is Irish, English and Foreign Languages. Once your stuff makes sense your not penalized for spelling and grammar in other subjects.

Most Likely though, if the person is doing a foreign language its a hand writing legibility/ difficulty rather than dyslexia.

Regards
    Ian

They are not marked harder on content, however their actual leaving certificate carry's an astrix that states that "spelling and grammar was not taken into consideration" or wording to that effect.

Only thing it really effects is Irish, English and Foreign Languages. Once your stuff makes sense your not penalized for spelling and grammar in other subjects.

Most Likely though, if the person is doing a foreign language its a hand writing legibility/ difficulty rather than dyslexia.

Regards
    Ian

Just annoying that people can't just opt to use their laptop if they so wish otherwise. I myself have no learning difficulties or anything like it but my handwriting isn't quite calligraphy standard by any means... I would much rather use my laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mongey

Take ages?

If I were allowed to use my laptop for my exams I'd probably be off sunning myself in my garden within 30 minutes of every exam starting because I could get them typed up so quickly. (exaggeration of course but I type so, so much faster than I write).

The added bonus of neatness and being able to cut and paste text to me seems unfair as an advantage to such candidates, IMHO.
    Really, when the hell would you be copying and pasting in your essay?

"Bishop, the bitch, takes an unique approach on childhood."
    "Just incase you didn't get the point, Bishop, the bitch, takes an unique approach on childhood. She really does"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Should've faked the test, Clay Pigeon. I know plenty of people who have, although my writing is genuinely poor.

And yeah, typings so good, specially for English, Macbeth quotes typed up in an instant.

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Should've faked the test, Clay Pigeon. I know plenty of people who have, although my writing is genuinely poor.

And yeah, typings so good, specially for English, Macbeth quotes typed up in an instant.

Tempting as fck - if I find out it is possible to do it without putting other people out or being marked easier I'd do it. I wouldn't do it if it truly gave me an unfair advantage beyond making me more comfortable with my work presentation and that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Something to do over the Summer then, PM me after the LC if you like, I'll give you more info. That way you can do it for third level.

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Something to do over the Summer then, PM me after the LC if you like, I'll give you more info. That way you can do it for third level.

V much appreciated - friended for great justice and future reference <3

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

Fad wrote: »
    Or if there's anything to do with your hand writing being unreadable.

Or if you physically cannot write for a certain amount of time.

There's a variety of reasons.

Is there like a condition to do with having bad handwriting,
    or is it just bad handwriting?

Like how theres a difference between being dyslexic and being a bad speller?
    It's probably a stupid question, but if it's just bad handwriting I should really tell someone my friend about it cos her's is unreadable! I'm sure she loses marks over examiners not being able to read her answers!

phic wrote: »
    Is there like a condition to do with having bad handwriting,
    or is it just bad handwriting?

Like how theres a difference between being dyslexic and being a bad speller?
    It's probably a stupid question, but if it's just bad handwriting I should really tell someone my friend about it cos her's is unreadable! I'm sure she loses marks over examiners not being able to read her answers!

There's muscular stuff that leads your writing to be pretty much unreadable, and then there's people who just physically cannot write for that long.

I mentioned nothing about spelling, simply being bad at spelling could mean that you never bothered you're arse in primary school/just weren't taught adequately. way back in primary school (Cos that's realistically when you learn the fundamentals of English)

Dyslexia as I'm sure you're aware is a diagnosable learning disability, it is not simply spelling. Wiki

Basically get your friend to go to the guidance counselor in school and get assessed, that doesn't anything will come from having an assessment, but I'd say it's worth a shot. Even if she is granted a special accommodation, that doesn't even mean she will be allowed to type, she might be allowed to have a scribe or something.

Advertisement