Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hole in Rocker Cover

• 05-06-2009 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

A friend called me tonight to say that while removing the plug lead cover on his 00 lancer mivec, he used a little too much "gentle persuasion". See the results...

I was thinking that fibre glass could do the trick - any better suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

How much is a new rocker cover? It might be a better option to buy a new one if it's not too expensive. Maybe try a scrappie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

It's a jap import with a Mivec engine... not a standard 1.6 - if a rocker cover was readily available he'd buy one but I'd say it could be hard to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

You could cut a flat piece of metal and bond it to the surface with one of those liquid metal type adhesives to see if it works. Won't be too pretty but might do the job :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Are there debris gone in on top of the camshafts now? Or is the broken bit still attached to the cover?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

aluminium weld would be the best job - bonding would be nice and quick/easy but definitly will not last with the heat of the engine.

• Advertisement

Apparently there's no debri gone into the engine thankfully.

Would aluminium welding burn through that alloy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Would aluminium welding burn through that alloy?

You' need to know exactly what the alloy is and then use the appropriate welding rod material and settings ...otherwise it could turn into a desaster.

There are temperature and oil resistant sealants availble to be used around the engine block. I'd try and get some competent advice on which to use and use that to bond on a metal plate. Maybe also put in some pop rivets to be sure to be sure. (Rivets need small head and check if the underside has clearance first ...also you'd need to come up with a method to catch any swarf from drilling)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

peasant wrote: »
    You' need to know exactly what the alloy is and then use the appropriate welding rod material and settings ...otherwise it could turn into a desaster.

There are temperature and oil resistant sealants availble to be used around the engine block. I'd try and get some competent advice on which to use and use that to bond on a metal plate. Maybe also put in some pop rivets to be sure to be sure. (Rivets need small head and check if the underside has clearance first ...also you'd need to come up with a method to catch any swarf from drilling)

Surely you would take the cover off to do the repair? its not too hard to remove. Id imagine steel reinforced Epoxy would do the bonding job.

Id imagine its easy enough to get the correct rocker cover fro a scrappie, there are lots of mivecs about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

take it off and bring it to the local engineering shop!

thanks guy's, some sound advice there. I'd had actually thought of the pop rivet/plate idea overnight - might use some rubber as a gasket too.

I'll keep you posted.

• Advertisement

All done! Plate (previously a door letter flap and cut to fit) riveted on with gasket cement. So far so good.

I didn't take a pic because it was raining so hard.

Just thought I'd let you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

....a door letter flap.....
    Keep us posted! :D

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Keep us posted! :D

Ba Dum Tish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

peasant wrote: »
    Maybe also put in some pop rivets to be sure to be sure.

Don't use pop rivets , it may crack the cover , could be a mag. cover

The "pin" might fall out of cheap rivets and end up between a cam lobe and a follower.

The cover might be magnesium alloy ( sometimes used in the "nicer" models like your car) , need to check before you go welding .

Araldite will hold for a fair bit , until you get something permanent in the line of sealants .

see PM

bushy... wrote: »
    Don't use pop rivets , it may crack the cover , could be a mag. cover

The "pin" might fall out of cheap rivets and end up between a cam lobe and a follower.

The cover might be magnesium alloy ( sometimes used in the "nicer" models like your car) , need to check before you go welding .

Araldite will hold for a fair bit , until you get something permanent in the line of sealants .

see PM

Thanks for the info but you're too late - pop rivets used sucessfully with gasket cement.

The car just drove 40km on a motorway without leaking a drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Sweet , once it has something to hold it down and something to seal it , it'll be grand

Keep an eye on the pop rivets , if they go , the steel pin might bend valves :(

Advertisement