Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help choosing between two cameras

• 05-06-2009 11:20pm

Hey all,

Not gonna lie, I looked at all the FAQ stuff and as much as I tried to follow it all, I've no idea what the half of it meant (to be honest, I've no idea what the half of anything associated with cameras means, but I like to pretend :pac: )

Anyway, for the last two years I've been using a Kodak Easyshare Z710 Digital Camera. Handy for what I wanted it for but I've become bored of it and want to get a DSLR camera. The reason I want to get one is because I may try and get into the whole proper photography thing, However, I don't want to spend a fortune on a camera incase I get turned off the idea soon after buying it.

So with that, I've mooched through Argos' website (I have lots of vouchers for argos, so I'm gonna buy there :) ) and picked these two as possible purchases.

Olympus E420

SONY Alpha 200

My question is, can anyone here who knows anything about DLSR's take a quick scan through the specs of these two cameras and tell me which I'd be better off going with, taking into consideration i know literally nothing about DLSR cameras, and even if i don't go too in-depth with the learning, will still want a camera that's gonna be good to use for a few years.

Massive thank you to anyone able to assist me here.

(EDIT: Just to note, I've used the DP side by side review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=oly_e420%2Csony_dslra200&show=all

But there's just so much involved, they each seem to better each other in different areas, and I don't know which are the most important parts to take into consideration)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Both are good cameras, you won't be sorry if you buy either. The Oly is much smaller, which may or may not suit you.

Personally my opinion is that the Oly kit lens is better, but be careful that its the 14-42mm not the 17.5-42mm that gets sold in some of the really budget kits.

If you do go for the Oly, try to budget to get the twin lens kit with the 40-150mm lens included, you won't be sorry.

nilhg wrote: »
    Both are good cameras, you won't be sorry if you buy either. The Oly is much smaller, which may or may not suit you.

Personally my opinion is that the Oly kit lens is better, but be careful that its the 14-42mm not the 17.5-42mm that gets sold in some of the really budget kits.

If you do go for the Oly, try to budget to get the twin lens kit with the 40-150mm lens included, you won't be sorry.

Thanks for your reply.

I've been going through Amazon's reviews of the cameras and people seem to be generally happier with the Olympus there, so as it stands I'm leaning towards that one.

In relation to the second part of your post though, as someone who has never used a DSLR before, would it really be worth my while investing in lenses so early on?

I think (personally speaking, as I've no real experience with this kinda thing at all) I'll wait it out and see if I get into the camera enough to decide to buy additional lenses, etc. at another time.

Again, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I think if you can afford it you should, you will never buy it cheaper

http://www.parkcameras.com/9179/Olympus-E-420-14-42mm-Lens.html

http://www.parkcameras.com/9181/Olympus-E-420-14-42mm-40-150mm-Lenses.html

the difference there is roughly 90 sterling, or €100 which is great value.

Best of luck with whichever you buy, I've never really been sorry I went with Oly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

+1 for the Olympus E-420. Great little camer,a and it is little. I would try and handle one before you buy to make sure its a comfortable fit in your hand. Plenty of lens options for it and accessories too so a good investment. It has a 2x crop factor so the 14-42 becomes 24-82 in 35mm terms, and the 50-150 is really 100-300 so you have a good zoom lens there if you get the 2 lens kit, which I have and thoroughly recommend.

Hey guys. I reserved the Olympus in Argos and plan to pick it up later on today. However, I'm certain there's no card with it, so can I ask you guys, is this memory card compatible with it?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/4GB-CF-CompactFlash-KINGSTON-Elite-Pro-133x-RETAIL-PACK_W0QQitemZ250423002780QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_PDAsAccessories_MemoryCards?hash=item3a4e5fc69c&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A30

I'm almost certain it is, but I'd like to just get someone else's opinion. (I don't actually have the camera yet, but I wont get near a PC til tomorrow after I buy the camera, so I'd ideally like to buy the card now so I can get it as soon as possible and start taking ye olde photographs).

Thanks a lot :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes that memory card will work, the E420 website says that it takes CF Type I and II which means any CF card including microdrives will work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

is this memory card compatible
    Thats the exact same card I have in mine, by coincidence, and it works absolutely fine!

I just purchased the memory card.

Thanks a lot again for all the help and assistance with this guys. I'm completely over my head in regards DSLRs and I do truly appreciate the advice given. Thanks! :):):)

Advertisement