Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leitrim Co. Co introduced a 10 tonne weight restriction...

• 06-06-2009 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

I know the reason the council gave below, but what is the REAL reason for this restriction? I see no damage on those roads caused by HGV's

Vehicle Weight Restriction

Roads Traffic Acts 1961 – 1994
    Road Traffic (Traffic & Parking) Regulations, 1997
    Road Traffic (Signs) Regulations 1997
    Implementation of Vehicle Weight Restrictions on Road No. LS 7396-0 in the townland of Muckross and Road No. LS 7456-0 in the townlands of Cloodrumman/Drumkirwan

Leitrim County Council, in accordance with Road Traffic Acts, 1961 to 1994, the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations, 1997 S.I. 182 of 1997 and Road Traffic (Signs) Regulations, 1997 S.I. 181 of 1997 and following consultations with an Garda Síochána are introducing a 10 tonne weight restriction for heavy goods vehicles with immediate effect at the following two locations in County Leitrim:-
    Location 1
    Road No. LS 7396-0 in the townland of Muckross Sign No. Fig. 5.36 to be erected from junction with Local Road LS 7394 & junction with Regional Road R209.
    The reason for this restriction is to protect Road No. LS 7396-0 from damage by HGV’s (Heavy Goods Vehicles) and vehicles with long wheel base.
    Location 2
    Road No. LS 7456-0 in the townlands of Cloodrumman/Drumkirwan Sign No. Fig. 5.36 to be erected from junction with Local Road LT 34551 & junction with Local Road LP 34551.
    The reason for this restriction is to protect Road No. LS 7456-0 from further damage caused by HGV’s (Heavy Goods Vehicles) and vehicles with long wheel base.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

still wont stop me.

it would want to be a brave member of our local gardai that would want to stand infront of me and my lorries or tractors , and tell me i wasnt going down that road, he would end up plastered to the road himself,

ya know its all these blowins who bought houses in leitrim and taught it was a holiday destination , that are complaining, they forget that the local people have a way of life too.

whos going to empty the slatted tanks on that road if thats the limit a tractor and tanker are about 13 ton and close to 20 ton full

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

In order to prove overweight the vehicle has to be taken to an authorised weighbridge within a given distance from the place where the alleged offence took place. Can't remember the exact distance but I'm fairly sure it's less than 10 kilometers. If there's no authorised weighbridge within the specified distance the ruling is un-enforceable.

Advertisement