Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo Ethics

Options
  • 06-06-2009 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

I just saw in the "I'll you show you mine, if you show me yours" thread that someone posted a piece that was originally a Vicky Morgan (an apprentice at Modern Body Art, where Jo Harrison works) painting. This thread is by no means a shot at that person but more a question. Do you think it's okay to get a tattoo of a tattoo artists art from someone other then them? I'm not counting flash or sketchbooks in this, just the art they put online perhaps sold as prints etc.

For me personally, I'd feel bad doing this as someones created this piece of art and probably had the intention of selling it or perhaps using it in someway on a client of their own. What are your opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's a tough one to call. I mean they couldn't sell the piece onto someones skin.
    Personally, if I knew that it was done by an artist, I'd contact the artist about it, tell them my plans and ask if it was ok with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

It's a tough one to call. I mean they couldn't sell the piece onto someones skin.
    Personally, if I knew that it was done by an artist, I'd contact the artist about it, tell them my plans and ask if it was ok with them.

I'm talking in specific about a tattoo artists who could do the job themselves. I get why someone would get say a Mark Ryden painting from any tattooer who'd do it but getting a piece of art from someone who could in theory tattoo it on you from another tattooist is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I would go to that artist, make sure they have not done it on anyone else or have been contacted about the same situation. Who else would be better at doing it than the original artist? Of course they would need to be a competant tattoo artist aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

It's a bit odd, il never be a tattoo artist so can't really comment.

Would I take someone's work and pass it off as my own? No, that's plagiarism of sorts. However it's different i think when tattooing, if i drew something and someone got it inked on themselves i would take it as a complement.

Dunno really tbh, in two minds about it all

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Suppose the way I look at it is whether the piece of art was lets use the word "stolen" from the original artist.If the tattooer passed it off as their own piece then thats a big no-no.

However if the piece of art was released in a public medium (with this example I thing the person who has it on them said it was on a poster or something) then Im not saying its 100% ethical but with tattoos theres always a picture that catches your eye and you want it on your skin......It miGght not be ethical but it is the norm.

Say someone getS a Leonardo DaVinci piece--Is that unethical?I mean we can all say that certain peoples depiction of lets say "The Last Supper" was unethical in every way :D:D:D:D
    Personally Id be over the moon if someone wanted a piece of my art on their skin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Not sure if the point is relevant, but originality would play a fair part in "copying" an image.

I'd like the tattoo artist to put their own spin on things or chat about what he/she can do (just from gawking at the portfolio) to add to or change it.

Also I'm a very bad artist, so if I had a rough idea of what I wanted (say a culmination of a few pieces) I'd like the tattooist to walk through it with me. Of course after a few rough sketches first. Don't want to take up the guy/girls' time going over ideas and images!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

if the artist has sold the design in the public view - either as flash, or as prints, they need to expect that someone will/could tattoo it. The design isn't under your control anymore, you sold it. it one of the reasons flash and prints are expensive

but
    people copy tattoos from magazines all the time - and I amn't talking about customers here. I've seen many tattooists see a design they like in a magazine and proceed to copy it verbatim on to a friend/client. and usually the person receiving that tattoo is aware of it too. Thats kind of wierd

Advertisement