Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local & European Elections 2009 - Results Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

jmcc wrote: »
    Transfer what? FF is being wiped out.

Regards...jmcc
    Collectively they have enough votes between them to steal a seat, but that's assuming their "relay race" strategy works and that voters voted 1-4 FF. It's when people gave their second preferences to other parties that the possibility will fall asunder. I do agree that it's an outside chance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

FF are in with a good chance in East. Three power bases competing for the last seat: FG, FF & SF/WP. Think it's between FG and FF. FF have a lot of the vote but if everyone transfers against them, they'll be kept out.

I'd say Walsh, Cunnignham, Darcy, Kelly, Roche, Daniels or 1xLab, 3xFG, 2xInd.

Intriguing fight ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Don't ya just love elections.

Michael Ivory has just been eliminated.

Cunningham +15 - 656
    Darcy +17 - 908
    Hayes +8 - 424
    Ivory + 13 - 194
    Keating + 10 - 234
    Kelly + 9 - 415
    O'Neill - 305 (missed how much she was transfered)
    Wyse +8 - 346
    Tobin +16 - 402
    Pat Ormond - 247 (missed how much transfered)
    Roche +21 - 557.

So Ivory's votes will be distributed. I think Roche will benefit from this as will the FF's, given Ivory was with them before. I think Ivory's votes will transfer to Ormond better than they would to Stephanie Keating so she will be the next to be eliminated.

Tom Murphy eliminated. He's not happy with his party and understandably so.

Now where his votes will be distributed is anyone's guess! Willie Moore and Cha O'Neill are within one vote of each other standing at 732 and 731 respectively! I think we'll be losing Moore from that ward on the next count unless both Cha and Willie manage to leapfrog some other candidate.

• Advertisement

Who's left in South? RTE website is rubbishm still have only first count.

Roche and Walsh take the last two in City North

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

No more figures at hand yet but I can confirm cha oneill and john cummins are elected in south as willie more is eliminated. Phones acting up so its not going tp type out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Waterford City Council. Final Count. 2 Wards.

North - Ward 1
    Dunne, Liam - Fianna Fáil - 324 Eliminated
    Kelly, Joe - Sinn Féin - 665 685 Eliminated
    Ryan, Gearoid - Fianna Fáil - 220 Eliminated
    Walsh, Davy - The Workers' Party - 631 752 Elected
    Roche, Dick - Independent - 725 822 Elected

South - Ward 3
    Cullinane, David - Sinn Féin - 785 825 912 Elected
    Cummins, John - Fine Gael - 638 840 943 Elected
    Moore, Willie - The Workers' Party 715 732 824 Eliminated
    Murphy, Tom - Fianna Fáil - 676 706 Eliminated
    O'Halloran, Mary - Fine Gael - 447 Eliminated
    Oneill, Cha - Independent - 627 731 880 Elected

Ward missing as the figures I have are incomplete and the count is ongoing - Missing names are more then likely eliminated, if not let me know. Hopefully its accurate, if any mistakes are found let me know. nkay1985 can verify for me, assuming hes still counting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Weird election.. Didn't expect John Cummins to get in, but fair play to the lad. It's a shame Joe has lost his seat - he was a good worker in Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Any news on Waterford East? Its been very quiet for a few hours on that one.

As a local radio station WLR are a disgrace, no town council results on their website and very slow with the City ouncil ones. God forbid a local radio station would be on top of local issues.

I actually text in to applaud them on their coverage. They've covered all counts and have had interviews and commentary with most of the candidates. I've been listening to the stream whenever I've had a chance. Their website is managed by an external company and only a few people within WLR can update it with basic items. Given it's a weekend and past working hours, it would cost tens of thousands to run an effective website dedicated to the elections. I don't see why a radio station should pay that given their primary medium is the radio after all.

AdMMM wrote: »
    I actually text in to applaud them on their coverage. They've covered all counts and have had interviews and commentary with most of the candidates. I've been listening to the stream whenever I've had a chance. Their website is managed by an external company and only a few people within WLR can update it with basic items. Given it's a weekend and past working hours, it would cost tens of thousands to run an effective website dedicated to the elections. I don't see why a radio station should pay that given their primary medium is the radio after all.

Not much good to me when I'm depending on their wesite for election results. They did advertise on their site that they would have comprehensive coverage. I'll take your word for it.

East ward in waterford being re counted as requested by catherine oneill. Will start at 10am

I'd imagine the recount will offer an entirely different scenerio as will another recount after that.

Why the recount? RTE have Darcy just elected, is there any advance on this?

I imagine it's because they (FF) think the transfers would go their way in a recount or that they were just unlucky transfers played out a certain way. It's pretty much a lucky dip but perhaps they figure there's more favourable outcomes than unfavourable.

What makes it likely that O'Neill would benefit from a recount? Arent all transfers considered in the previous count anyway?

Trotter wrote: »
    What makes it likely that O'Neill would benefit from a recount? Arent all transfers considered in the previous count anyway?

IIRC, there is a very very small number of votes in the difference which could see her be eliminated. So by ordering a recount, she may regain ground and defeat that possibility.

• Advertisement

Looking at the results, I assume if Catherine looses out that puts only one Finna Fail candidate for Waterford City Council?

Forgot to mention.. our Green party candidate who posted on the Board was eliminated, small vote. I guess the people didnt find a direct connection with John Gormley and getting our voice heard was enough :p Fair play to you anyway if your reading this, its tough work running for election and even tougher being Green Party - sadly, it seems that even the good candidates for the Greens were simply not going to get elected based on their party name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

Sully wrote: »
    Looking at the results, I assume if Catherine looses out that puts only one Finna Fail candidate for Waterford City Council?
    If I was being cynical, I'd consider her a possible GE candidate to replace her cousin. This recount stuff seems standard enough.
    Forgot to mention.. our Green party candidate who posted on the Board was eliminated, small vote. I guess the people didnt find a direct connection with John Gormley and getting our voice heard was enough :p Fair play to you anyway if your reading this, its tough work running for election and even tougher being Green Party - sadly, it seems that even the good candidates for the Greens were simply not going to get elected based on their party name.
    Well she only had a few weeks of a run up to the election and that performance was quite good for a virtual unknown, so well done Maria. Compared to the way that even established candidates were getting demolished it was a vote worth building upon. It seems quite obvious that FF screwed up badly in running so many candidates in Waterford East. And Stan is also to be congratulated on his vote in Tramore.

According to RTE, those elected in Waterford South are:
    Daniels/IND
    Walsh/Lab
    D'Arcy/FG

That's three out of six seats filled.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

Seems WLR has more information than RTE.
    http://www.wlrfm.com/Home/carousel/electionresults.aspx

The RTE mob seems to have fecked off to the pub after the first count results.

Just looking at the WLR stats, Cunningham/FG and Roche/IND may be the next ones to get seats. The interesting fight will be for the last seat. Kelly/FG might make it.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

jmcc wrote: »
    The RTE mob seems to have fecked off to the pub after the first count results.
    Final results are being updated, then again maybe they're getting a direct feed from somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Keith Winters

There is still an outside chance that Kelly may get a third seat in East. There's still a lot of votes to be distributed though and perhaps at this stage it's too late. Would be a massive gain for Fine Gael.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Looking like Kathy Sinnot doesn't have a hope of retaining her seat. :D

Tom cunningham, Gary wise, and mary roche have been elected on the final count just completed. Joe tobin was sadly eliminated.

• Advertisement

I'm gutted that we've put a FFer in after everything. What does this party have to do to Waterford before we get rid of them. I am DISGUSTED.

Advertisement