Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper cycling lanes needed in Ennis?

• 06-06-2009 2:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Recently i visited Amsterdam, and was blown away by how practical the Dutch are. The entire city is designed around the bike, not the car. Cycling lanes are built with the same emphasis as road and rail, why cant the same be done here.

At the minute, I can only think of lanes along the Tulla a Lees road, and then the just stop with no warning or reasoning. Theres no point in putting one in place if it just stops, same as a road to nowhere. Im always worried driving past a bike user, and when on a bike get freaked out by cars wizzing by.

If this infrastructure were put in place, then it would encorage people to cycle rather the drive for local journeys, saving money, air quality and increase public health.

There are already a good few regular bike users in Ennis as far as I can see, and this should be encouraged more. Why dont the council when layig new pipes or roadworks use it as an oppurtunity to expand the network, or are they just plain car focussed?

Advertisement