Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Projects

Options
  • 06-06-2009 4:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

A couple of posts plus my own ambitions made be think that a thread with other peoples current projects, especially during the summer, might be a good idea.

My current project I guess is to begin a mod for CryEngine2. I know how to code plus make 2D/3D art so why not? Thats my objective for the summer anyways. I know between heading out in the sun and looking for a job that this might not happen as quickly as I'd like but thats the objective anyways :)

So anyone else with a summer project?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

I'm making a rocket pack game demo in C++ using DirectX 9/10. If you've played Pilotwings on the SNES or Nintendo 64 you'll know what I mean.

I've also been making a Youtube audio ripper in C#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Might start looking at some open source projects or something to see if I can get involved, was kinda involved with a media player (small, not much features, more a lightweight video player than a proper "media player" program) for a very short while but then figured I should stop spending my time on it with exams.
    Also had someone ask me if I wanted to create a game with them since it was me who suggested the idea.

I can't see myself doing any project of my own any time soon though, I'd have no idea where to start to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭NilByMouth

Im hoping to attempt a 2d platformer inC++ using the SDL libary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

3d space strategy game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Any links or pics to show any progress lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

How long have you guys been programming?

I've just finished the 2nd year of my CS degree and I'm working on a checkers/chess game..

Pretty bland so far: http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv249/karmabass/checkers.jpg?t=1244325543

Not a personal project as such, but I did a cool little Java2D spaceship game as my end of year project this year, might try get a JAR up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

karmabass wrote: »
    How long have you guys been programming?
    A couple of years now probably, no idea when I started, but other than while learning at the start it's basically been in bursts of a few days with weeks or months in between doing nothing :P

Finishing school now (doing LC) so hopefully I'll start a proper course in it in September/October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Decided to motivate myself, started a blog.. hoping to do the SCJP certification over the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Hoping to continue my FYP and go a bit commercial on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭WellCultured

Got really annoyed that all the TV shows i download from ware....uh itunes are all named in in different formats e.g. lost 101, 1x01, s01e01 and the filenames always contain a bunch or crap about the ripper etc so i wrote a program to rename them all into the Lost S01E01.avi format, I let it loose on 1 terabyte of TV yesterday. Gonna do a GUI for it and may have it optionally create a folder structure for each show etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Just about to launch the first iteration of Lost & Found Pets Ireland, the nation's only dedicated lost and found pet listing website, which has been keeping me out of trouble (mostly) since the start of April. The intention is to have something very user friendly and hook it in to the social networks.

Besides helping the pets, it has been a nice way to look at some of the web 2.0 api's out there and play with JQuery.

Scheduled a soft launch for tomorrow evening so you're all welcome to drop by and say 'hi' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Bluefrog wrote: »
    Just about to launch the first iteration of Lost & Found Pets Ireland, the nation's only dedicated lost and found pet listing website, which has been keeping me out of trouble (mostly) since the start of April. The intention is to have something very user friendly and hook it in to the social networks.

Besides helping the pets, it has been a nice way to look at some of the web 2.0 api's out there and play with JQuery.

Scheduled a soft launch for tomorrow evening so you're all welcome to drop by and say 'hi' :D

Very usefull and original Idea I must say.

Thanks, not exactly original but being a dedicated site should set it apart and also the integration of social networking facilities. Time will tell how successful it turns out to be.
    TDOie wrote: »
    Very usefull and original Idea I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

karmabass wrote: »
    Decided to motivate myself, started a blog.. hoping to do the SCJP certification over the summer

I don't think you need a blog to pass it. I have 2 years of Java experience and passed it with about 20 hours total work. I'm not sure how much it helps your understanding of the language.

My personal project is still in Research land, token-based security of operating systems and data.

Just an update to let you know that the site is now live - and we have our first 'client' - Lost female cat in Knocknagoshel, Co. Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭WellCultured

I'm working on a Captcha generator at the moment.

Advertisement