Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English P2 Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭imfreein09

any one up for burining all english poetry books, the play and the texts? i am!!!! overall was happy it went ok, only learned one poet, bishop so chanced my life and thank fully she came up, is the messages she delivers just here points made in her poems and want she wants to portray?? lik filling station that there is some one who loves you no matter wat etc?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

Did anyone do 1. for Cultural context?
    Didn't really know how to get conflict into it tbh, we never did conflict in class. I referred to the question in the introduction and conclusion, but the rest was just general cultural context.
    Starting to have doubts? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Bout a page or so away from filling the booklet! Hopefully i got what i what i want anyway which is a B1... Touch wood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

rhapsody! wrote: »
    Did anyone do 1. for Cultural context?
    Didn't really know how to get conflict into it tbh, we never did conflict in class. I referred to the question in the introduction and conclusion, but the rest was just general cultural context.
    Starting to have doubts? :P

How do you need to "do" conflict? Sure you know that in PHIC Gar is in conflict with the idea of masculinity in his culture, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭7Steve

Ok, How the hell were you supposed to fill an answer book? Its just not possible in the available time. How much pages is there in it? 24? You have just over 3 hours.

I wrote NON-STOP, only stopping in order to write a brief plan or actually read the bloody paper. My writing is normally small (14/15 words per line), but it increases in size when I have to write really fast. In total, I wrote:

Macbeth (A) - 4 pages
    Unseen - 1 page
    Seen (Keats) - 3 pages
    Comaprative (CC) - 4.5 pages

(Plans done on seperate sheet)
    I can see how you could get an extra 2 pages. So with a plan thats around 16/17 pages. Anything else is pushing it. I'm sick of reading "I wrote 11pages for Comparative". Would you good luck. This board is full of liars.

PS. To that guy who left after around an hour at the start of this thread:
    You DEFINATELY can't write 8 pages in that time.

• Advertisement

7Steve wrote: »
    Ok, How the hell were you supposed to fill an answer book? Its just not possible in the available time. How much pages is there in it? 24? You have just over 3 hours.

I wrote NON-STOP, only stopping in order to write a brief plan or actually read the bloody paper. My writing is normally small (14/15 words per line), but it increases in size when I have to write really fast. In total, I wrote:

Macbeth (A) - 4 pages
    Unseen - 1 page
    Seen (Keats) - 3 pages
    Comaprative (CC) - 4.5 pages

(Plans done on seperate sheet)
    I can see how you could get an extra 2 pages. So with a plan thats around 16/17 pages. Anything else is pushing it. I'm sick of reading "I wrote 11pages for Comparative". Would you good luck. This board is full of liars.

PS. To that guy who left after around an hour at the start of this thread:
    You DEFINATELY can't write 8 pages in that time.

11 pages means either it's the only thing they did and that they did too much because you don't get additional marks past what's good and also means that unless they have handwriting so big it takes up a line per 2-3 words they wouldn't have had time to get any other marks, stupid people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭7Steve

Alas, so that wasn't so bad afterall!
    When we turned over the paper there was a collective sigh of relief amongst everyone in my exam hall :p

I did:

Macbeth - Q1. Talked about internal conflict in Macbeth and his evil deeds ( bloody + sleep imagery to support), deterioration of relationship with the Lady and Scotland under Macbeth's tyranny (with particular regards to disease imagery) ... all rooted back to Duncan's murder. Really happy :D7 pages

Theme and Issue - Q1 - bit bummed that G.V + V didn't come up but what can you do. I managed to ramble on and on and on ... think it went well though. 11 pages

Unseen Poetry - Did a response Q1. Unusual poem but I liked it. A bit pushed for time though so I read 'illness' up top and thought the guy had died.... whoops! 2 and a half pages

Prescribed Poetry - Did Keats Q with about 20 minutes to go (my time management is just terrible :pac:) although I managed to squeeze in three pages discussing Ode to Nightingale i.e poetic GOLD with some quick comparisons and references to others. Not too happy with running out of time but it should get me few desperation marks.

This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I mean: TOTAL CRAP. What I'm saying is, this guy supposedly answered all the Qs

I thought it was alot easier to write in paper 2 than paper 1. The A part comprehension takes up so much time!

7Steve wrote: »
    This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I mean: TOTAL CRAP. What I'm saying is, this guy supposedly answered all the Qs

7 pages on Macbeth and 11 on Cultural Context? I'm starting to ponder the possibility of Mavis Beacon being his laptop-scribe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

Macbeth went okayish, did aftermath of Duncans murder - 17 pages

Did two parter cultural context, I thought I did well but could have done better - 52 pages

Unseen poetry - 9 pages

Did Bishop, Keats and Walcot - 25 pages each

A bit dissapointed to be honest, B3 hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

7 pages of gold on Macbeth.

4.5 of complete codswallop on my comparitive.

5 on Walcott, went horribly. Came out of the exam and all the quotes, of course, came back rushing into my head.

Unseen was beautiful, mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Aideen..

Yeah, thought it was a really nice paper, still went in taking a risk with Elizabeth Bishop, but thank f**k she came up. I think the Macbeth questions were a lot easier than what was supposedly on the original paper, question two had such a broad range of topics you could have covered. Saying all that, still kind of miffed that it's on a Saturday, cant kick the feeling that it's a Friday, its annoying when I realise that it's actually Saturday then.. Bleh, but all in all, very happy..

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

Claypigeon wrote: »
    7 pages on Macbeth and 11 on Cultural Context? I'm starting to ponder the possibility of Mavis Beacon being his laptop-scribe

I imagine poor examinators correcting such papers. Seriously, our teacher told us that for Macbeth we need 3 to 5 pages, Comparative around 4-5, Unseen - one page in mocks gave me 19/20 marks and prescribed 3 to 5 pages. I don't know what books people study for comparative so they can write that much. I scrambled everything I wanted to say in 4 1/2 pages (comparative).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

well, im after SERIOUSLY making an absolute mess of that paper! Got to Macbeth, and was delighted, it was a nice easy question, then came the comparative, these are texts ive studied relatively well, and for some reason could not remember any characters names, I mean ANY!! so i decided id leave that question and move onto poetry, had a good go at the unseen to get my 20 marks, and then when i got myself to the poets themselves, there was no poet i liked, and for some reason i couldnt remeber a single iota from any of those poets. So back i went to the comparative and still couldnt remember a single f*****g name!! So i just left, i was freaking out I couldnt stay in there any more, I know I've failed, and im just so dissapointed, i thaught that english was going to be a subject i got not an excellent but at least a reasonable grade in (a C or the likes)

And im not blaming the fact that the exam was postponed to today, i would have f****d it up just as bad if it were Thursday. Please someone out there PLEASE tell me someone out there is the same as myself :(

^sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will still pass. You should have stayed in though it might have helped

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

TheManWho wrote: »

Did two parter cultural context, I thought I did well but could have done better - 52 pages

Unseen poetry - 9 pages

This made me laugh so hard! 153 pages eh? that's about 7 booklets in total :P

Wait... you only did 52 pages for comparative? The marking scheme recommends between 80-83 pages.... though if your writing's small you might be ok..... :D:o:P

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

OH CRAP

The Jews havent done the paper yet!

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH

I'm pretty sure if they're not allowed write, they're not allowed go on boards either...

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    On countdown to 306 the "experts" said that you should have disagreed with the statement on Walcott because there is virtually no conflict in any of the poems on the course!

Thank god for Bishop!

Did they say if it was ok to agree...because if its not theres my 50 marks gone!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

the jews have been quaranteened in the rabbi's house for the evening apparently. They won't be able to see anything about the exams til after they sit the paper tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

phic wrote: »
    Did they say if it was ok to agree...because if its not theres my 50 marks gone!!

yes it's ok to agree because as they said on countdown 'poetry merely suggests things', so it's what the poem means to you. there is no definition.

What jim lusby did say was that if he opened a paper and the student explicitly stated 'I disagree' and carried on in that fashion that he would have jumped for joy. However the percentage of students who took that line seems to have been less than 10% and it has been stated that it was a somewhat unfair phrasing of the question. Maybe the examiner saw it as an A1 blocker like we have in maths.

Read earlier posts here of people who agreed with the walcott statement. You definitely have not lost 50 marks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭piggies

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    On countdown to 306 the "experts" said that you should have disagreed with the statement on Walcott because there is virtually no conflict in any of the poems on the course!

Thank god for Bishop!

That's not true at all there's conflict and tension surrounding his religious beliefs and colonialism!

I think it depends on what poems you've studied really.

pathway33 wrote: »
    yes it's ok to agree because as they said on countdown 'poetry merely suggests things', so it's what the poem means to you. there is no definition.

What jim lusby did say was that if he opened a paper and the student explicitly stated 'I disagree' and carried on in that fashion that he would have jumped for joy. However the percentage of students who took that line seems to have been less than 10% and it has been stated that it was a somewhat unfair phrasing of the question. Maybe the examiner saw it as an A1 blocker like we have in maths.

Read earlier posts here of people who agreed with the walcott statement. You definitely have not lost 50 marks.

Oh ok thanks! think I'm looking for something to have gone wrong really, feels like it went suspiciously well!! once i saw that post I though oh no here it is!
    well in my Walcott essay plan that i had going in, 4 out of my 6 paragraphs were about conflicts anyway, so it never even occured to me to disagree!
    better not have blocked my A1!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 xprincessashx

TheManWho wrote: »

Unseen poetry - 9 pages

love you =)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Back Prince

anyone else just pure jaxed and not want to study but i need to study damn futher probability damn u ****y paper 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 xprincessashx

anyone else just pure jaxed and not want to study but i need to study damn futher probability damn u ****y paper 1

omg im the exact same! had a big mad plan to study tonight....just couldn't make myself
    i really need to study maths paper 2 not to mention irish, business and history :(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Back Prince

in work at 12 so i might study before that or after

Yeah I just announced to my parents I'm going to bed, they pointed out its only half 8...I've been up since 5 I just really wanna go to bed!
    Seriously considering going to bed now and getting up early to study, cos I'm too tired to learn anything at this point!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,253 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

phic wrote: »
    Yeah I just announced to my parents I'm going to bed, they pointed out its only half 8...I've been up since 5 I just really wanna go to bed!
    Seriously considering going to bed now and getting up early to study, cos I'm too tired to learn anything at this point!

the Ireland match put me to sleep so looks like I'll be having a late night tonight. Can never sleep again after a nap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

i do OL english i found it a really good paper only problem is i ran out of time i missed out on 3 10 markers and the unseen poetry.im really gutted about missing out on these marks as i was banking on a decent enought grade in english.i have a scribe and i feel that where i went down on the time as it took me exta time to think of the right wording to use as i find the words come easier to me when im writing myself.i'm in need of some reassurance if anyone would be kind enough to offer it.can i still get a decent mark after missing out on these marks?.the rest of the paper went great and i almost filled the booklet.its just missing out on those questions that has me slightly worried

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

sherdydan wrote: »
    well, im after SERIOUSLY making an absolute mess of that paper! Got to Macbeth, and was delighted, it was a nice easy question, then came the comparative, these are texts ive studied relatively well, and for some reason could not remember any characters names, I mean ANY!! so i decided id leave that question and move onto poetry, had a good go at the unseen to get my 20 marks, and then when i got myself to the poets themselves, there was no poet i liked, and for some reason i couldnt remeber a single iota from any of those poets. So back i went to the comparative and still couldnt remember a single f*****g name!! So i just left, i was freaking out I couldnt stay in there any more, I know I've failed, and im just so dissapointed, i thaught that english was going to be a subject i got not an excellent but at least a reasonable grade in (a C or the likes)

And im not blaming the fact that the exam was postponed to today, i would have f****d it up just as bad if it were Thursday. Please someone out there PLEASE tell me someone out there is the same as myself :(

I'm not as bad as u but I made a hames (is that how u spell that word) of the ppr. Only question I fully fin ished was Macbeth!! Only did part A1 of the Unseen poetry (the 20 mark one) and didnt do the two 10 ones! My cultural context is ****... I wrote loads tho.

My poetry answer on Bishop isn't finished but it's pretty good. My Macbeth answer is alri. The unseen poetry part I did isn't to bad. The rest is **** tbh. Put at the end of the pg "giv us a C3 plz"!!:o:pac: Sad I know but I'm ****in desperate!!!:confused::cool:

Advertisement