Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English P2 Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭arthistory

rhapsody! wrote: »
    Did anyone do 1. for Cultural context?
    Didn't really know how to get conflict into it tbh, we never did conflict in class. I referred to the question in the introduction and conclusion, but the rest was just general cultural context.
    Starting to have doubts? :P

Yeah I had a lovely cultural context prepared but not an ounce of conflict in it but i shoved bits in here and there. where i screwed up was i started talking bout kate in philadelphia here i come and judy in curious incident and they are NOT main characters. but the role of women was in my plan and i didn't knoe what else to do....anyone else write about non main characters???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I wrote 9 and a half pages on everything except prescribed poetry, which wasn't even attempted due to time restraints.

Am I safe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Only did part A1 of the Unseen poetry (the 20 mark one) and didnt do the two 10 ones!
    You only do either the two ten markers or the twenty marker, not both?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Hellsing

Thought the paper was fairly handy tbh :)
    Theme & Issue was no bother, I studied it well and the question was nice

Macbeth was another good question but I probably should've written more, I did about 4 pages for it.

Unseen poem, I did OK, seemed pretty straight forward

Did Bishop for poetry and i think I did really well there, got about 5 pages of good stuff in.

I'm hoping for a B1 or maybe an A2 if I'm lucky.

I've heard a lot of complaints about the Walcott Q from friends. I was thinking about doing the Walcott question but decided against it luckily:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I was happy enough.
    Plenty of BS, but thats grand for English.

Did: Walcott, Macbeth (Consequences), CC (Conflict)

Plenty of Quotes but far too much Waffle to get an A.

My friend studied Longley, and I spent the first 5 minutes consoling her quietly from across the room. She was in tears afterwards.... Women! She'll still get the A1.

All the lads had Bishop done, so all in all, everyone was happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

That paper couldn't have suited me better. Absolutely perfect. And I'll be lucky if I get a B.

I chose the second Mac question for reasons still unknown to myself even though I knew all the quotes and information for question 1. LOL.

Bishop, oh what a mind ****. Me being me interpreted the quotation literally and looked for "actual questions" in her poetry, like in 'questions of travel'. Managed to get 2 pages on it and couldn't understand how everyone else wrote pages and pages. Yes, I'm an idiot.

That's my hopes of an A gone and my college course because of the perfect papaer in my favourite subject. One for the grand-children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

Did anyone hear this? :P
    http://www.dublins98.ie/shows/morning_crew.php#1478

Scroll down to where it says: We all know the story of the Leaving Cert English 2 paper. I hear Hollywood are interested in making a movie about it. And click play. Made me laugh anyway. Wasn't sure if you heard it already and I'm not bothering going through loads of pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I wrote 9 and a half pages on everything except prescribed poetry, which wasn't even attempted due to time restraints.

Am I safe?

You wrote 9 and a half pages on the unseen poem?!? :eek::eek::eek: :pac:

I assume you didn't attempt any poetry at all? Max you can get in P2 then is 130 marks, so the max you can get is 330/400 if you got 100% in paper 1 and both p2 questions...

Say you lose 60 marks over both papers, for whatever reason - You'd get 270/400 , which is still around 68% overall. You're safe - but you'd have boosted your marks a whole lot by writing less for the other questions and completing poetry also - Say you lose 75 marks (accounting for the extra questions done - 15 marks lost overall in poetry), you end up with 325/400 - 82%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 xprincessashx

Scroll down to where it says: We all know the story of the Leaving Cert English 2 paper. I hear Hollywood are interested in making a movie about it. And click play. Made me laugh anyway. Wasn't sure if you heard it already and I'm not bothering going through loads of pages.
    That was brilliant well done :) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

ha ha ha i just listened to it that hilarious :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Ahahahahahahhahahhaahahahah
    That's fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Only did part A1 of the Unseen poetry (the 20 mark one) and didnt do the two 10 ones!

Be thankful you didn't! :p You only do either the 20-marker or the 2 10 markers. :D

Be thankful you didn't! :p You only do either the 20-marker or the 2 10 markers. :D

LOL - I thought that's common knowledge! Jaysus. Doing an english paper and you can't read ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Wow-cannot believe how quickly the fuss died down.

Mountain,molehill anyone?

The paper was kinda strange (prescribed poetry, I'm talking to you!)
    But all in all,it was fair. What caught me was time, I always write waay too much for Macbeth (7.5 pages fyi) so I couldn't finish my Bishop essay (only had time to discuss 4 of her poems) and just wrote a very quick personal response to the unseen poem,just read the thing twice and then wrote away!
    Didn't get a chance to read back over the paper,but hopefully it went ok :)

And I don't think that they're going to mark it easier because of the 'stress' it caused us. I, for one, was relieved for the extra time to study and four hours wasn't a whole lot from my day. Those who spent hours on the internet lamenting the loss of their saturday/the loss of that 'perfect' paper should have been studying. I'm pretty embarrassing at how us young people (because we are perceived as one entity) completely over-reacted. Many petulantly.

Was anyone else tempted to write English Paper 3 on their scripts today?!:D

aine-maire wrote: »
    I couldn't finish my Bishop essay (only had time to discuss 4 of her poems)

:eek:

I've been told from day one by my english teacher - 3 poems is perfect for any essay on poetry. Less than three and you're not showing enough understanding of the poets work, more than 3 and you're not going into enough depth of discussion with each. You ONLY discussed 4? I think you're a bit mad there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

:eek:

I've been told from day one by my english teacher - 3 poems is perfect for any essay on poetry. Less than three and you're not showing enough understanding of the poets work, more than 3 and you're not going into enough depth of discussion with each. You ONLY discussed 4? I think you're a bit mad there.

Seriously?
    Because we'd studied 6 of her poems I thought that I'd have to mention all of them...you have no idea how happy you've just made me!:D

Not mad...just a bit stressed;)

Seriously?
    Because we'd studied 6 of her poems I thought that I'd have to mention all of them...you have no idea how happy you've just made me!:D

Yeah, Seriously! The reason you study more in depth is so you can figure out which you prefer yourself, and draw your own conclusions/comparisons between them. It leaves it a bit more open to diversity than everyone doing the same 3 poems :)

You'll do fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

arthistory wrote: »
    Yeah I had a lovely cultural context prepared but not an ounce of conflict in it but i shoved bits in here and there. where i screwed up was i started talking bout kate in philadelphia here i come and judy in curious incident and they are NOT main characters. but the role of women was in my plan and i didn't knoe what else to do....anyone else write about non main characters???:confused:

Jesus, didn't even think of that. I assumed you could loosely interpret 'main character' as any character who has a semi- significant role in the text. I talked about people like Madge and Toto's mother for Role of Women. Heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

I'm the same. I didn't just do the main characters.

As well as that, I did the conflict question, but I didn't mention conflict all that much in my answer. I mentioned how Gar is frustrated by the lack of social outlets, inability to communicate etc. and this is what causes his desire to leave Ballybeg, would that be OK? The majority of my answer doesn't really deal with conflict, it just deals with cultural differences and similarities eg. religion, social status etc. There are a few references to conflict thrown in, but not alot.

Am I utterly fecked?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

Seriously?

Lol, yeah, the general rule is write about 4 poems and mention a 5th. Also, you only need to write 4 pages.

• Advertisement

The way it was broken down for us was:

The ideal essay should be 7-8 paragraphs, and deal with 3 poems.
    1) Opening paragraph, you state the question, your 3 poems, whatever else - Strong opening paragraph is important.
    2+3) Deal with your first poem, relate to question at end of each paragraph. End with a link to poem 2 if possible
    4+5) Deal with second. As above
    6+7) Deal with third poem linking to 2nd somehow
    8) Re-iterate question being asked, make a general statement regarding all 3 poems, conclude your answer. Strong finish is equally as important as opening paragraph.

That rule worked pretty well throughout the LC course for everyone, and I wrote 4 pages for my Bishop essay following those guidelines... Like I said above - If you're doing 2 paragraphs for each poem, doing 2 is too little, doing over 3 isn't enough to go into depth fully with them all.

I don't see why you'd mention any extra poems, as that may just lead to the examiner wondering why you mentioned it if you're not discussing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Du

arthistory wrote: »
    you can talk about how the role of women affected the main characters. Implications etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

The Macbeth questions were a bit random. I did the first one and once I got in on it, it was actually grand. I did cultural context for the comparative and the question suited my texts perfectly, that was great! unseen poetry was grand. didn't do the prescribed poetry at all cos I didn't really learn it. I sort of knew longley but he wasn't on it so, was going to attempt walcott, I could think of 2 of his poems but the question was bit WUT?

****. was your one in philadelphia called kate? damn I called her catherine :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gotabi

Well thats you ****ed then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gotabi

The Macbeth questions were a bit random. I did the first one and once I got in on it, it was actually grand. I did cultural context for the comparative and the question suited my texts perfectly, that was great! unseen poetry was grand. didn't do the prescribed poetry at all cos I didn't really learn it. I sort of knew longley but he wasn't on it so, was going to attempt walcott, I could think of 2 of his poems but the question was bit WUT?

you mean you didnt do prescribed poetry whatsoever??

gotabi wrote: »
    Ha

yeah. :( 50 marks gone

Mr.S wrote: »
    Ah well, its only 12.5%;)

that's quite a bit though, especially considering I did crap on paper 1 too. hope I don't fail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

gotabi wrote: »
    Ha

Yeah, that's SO funny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

"Only 12.5%"? :P Means you've already lost the potential of an A1, not a matter of only or justs. If you did well otherwise you can be confident of a good B still i'd say

Advertisement