Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English P2 Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

-Kenny- wrote: »
    it did , original was at top right corner saying M.12 , This paper said M.12C im guessing the C was for contingency paper?

Maybe it did so, I didn't look at the numbers on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

sarah+1 wrote: »
    I have a few quotes from Montague and Bishop too I think.
    I just hope I don't do what I did in my 5th year tests and call Elizabeth Bishop "Emily".
    ah the perils of mixing poets up with soap characters!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

So happy that theme\issue came up for comparative. The only comp studying I did was 2008 theme\issue, so I pretty much wrote the same thing down:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

Paddy001 wrote: »
    Maybe it did so, I didn't look at the numbers on it!

Just saying is all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I wasn't happy :(

Most people read the poets' names through the back of the paper and were delighted that Bishop and Walcott came up. I was too until I saw that the question was about the tension and conflic in his poetry. Now maybe it was just the poems I studied, but I couldn't think of any where tension and conflict were central to the poem.

You know who does have poetry FILLED with tension and conflict? Derek Mahon. Hmm.

So what did I do instead of doing the nice Bishop one about raising interesting questions? I foolishly did Walcott and agreed with the statement >.> and that's how I ended up messing up my timing due to poetry. My whole essay was rambling on about his exploration of the philosophical conflict between human nature and the passage of time. They were very tenuous links I made. I really should have done the Bishop essay but I panicked and thought I couldn't do it when it would have been much easier than the Walcott one :(

I did Cultural Context question on the onteraction with the culture first. I was a bit confused about whether you specifically had to talk about conflict only or interaction in general with a bitta conflict thrown in there. I hope you're allowed to say that sometimes characters didn't come into conflict with their cultures.

I'm happy with it anyway because I was able to write a good bit, and hopefully things like "in all three texts..." count as comparisons.

Macbeth was really rushed as I did it after the epic fail that was poetry. Only got three pages done, but I was very concise and to the point. I think I managed not to waffle, but there wasn't much cohesion between paragraphs.

Unseen poetry was an almighty mess. I did question 2 and did it on only about half to two thirds of a page >.<

So yeah, looks like it's bye bye medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

For Macbeth I did the conseqences . . . . . .
    Wrote about . . .Macbeth:1.His initial grief and regret
    2.His desensitisation
    3.His moral decline
    Scotland:1.People cannot trust each other
    2.It has become a 'grave' for its people

What did everyone else write?

For Cultural . . . . I'm a bit confused here.One person said they wrote about conflict with the world of C.C but was the question itself not about how the main characters interact with the C.C?

For Keats . . . .that question was a bit confusing . . . I agreed to a certain extent saying that his ideas were not always clear and sometimes they were in fact paradoxical(the Odes) ,whilst at the same time I said the abstract ideas were clear in poems like BS and OFLICH . . . .
    Could someone tell me what they wrote cos i'm still a good bit confused over this. . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

WELL guys i dont know about ye but i am so delighted that i dont need to HAVE ANYTHING to do with these asshole poets anymore , good for nothin drunks...

AND i can FINALLY DECLUTTER my room and throw out all those NOTES AND SH1TE i have over englishh :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Easy paper too haha, the macbeth question was like WTF.. it was so open ended, and te walcott question was ok, worded a bit weird like conflict and tension but i was able to work around it :):):)

was an good paper in the end after all our babblin and winnin

Congrats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Weekend Warrior

Macbeth - did the compelling drama question. It was ok, I think...I talked about the supernatural, murder, deception, Lady Macbeth and Macbeth's characters, how the same qualities that make Macbeth dramatic are still in soap operas today, blah blah.
    Did Walcott - I was so happy with my answer even though that question was a bit f*cked up! How can you talk about conflict and tension in 'Summer Elegies'?! Managed it somehow anyway. :D
    Cultural Context - ok.
    Unseen Poem - ok. I said it reminded me of 'Last Requests' by Michael Longley, ho ho ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

Paper was grand.
    Did about 14 pages, I'm wrecked.

I still say we nuke Louth, for the fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭piggies

for Walcott I said the conflict was an inner conflict about faith and religious beliefs - St. Lucia and Letter From Brooklyn.
    Then I just mentioned the tensions caused by colonialism - From Omeros and Sailor Sings Back to the Casuarinas.

Id say once u mentioned tension and conflict briefly and made some sort of links to the poems you'll be okay. Poetry isn't about right and wrong answers it's more your own view as long as you can back it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Piste wrote: »

that may have been the case last year but with the HPAT and anything over 550 in the leaving worth less i wouldn't pack away the hyperdermic syringes just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

piggies wrote: »
    Poetry isn't about right and wrong answers it's more your own view as long as you can back it up!

Pretty much the same for all of paper 2 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

GA361 wrote: »
    2.His desensitisation
    3.His moral decline

What did everyone else write?

For Cultural . . . . I'm a bit confused here.One person said they wrote about conflict with the world of C.C but was the question itself not about how the main characters interact with the C.C?

For Keats . . . .that question was a bit confusing . . . I agreed to a certain extent saying that his ideas were not always clear and sometimes they were in fact paradoxical(the Odes) ,whilst at the same time I said the abstract ideas were clear in poems like BS and OFLICH . . . .
    Could someone tell me what they wrote cos i'm still a good bit confused over this. . . .

For Macbeth I wrote about:
    1.Initial horror at what he has done...
    2.Has no peace of mind etc...driven to murder again
    3.Leads to his wife's suicide
    4.Leads to his world-weariness etc...
    5.Leads to his eventual death at the hands of Macduff

Scotland:
    1.Pathetic fallacy...Horses eating each other n **** :)
    2.The Scottish people live in constant fear...tyranny of his rule
    3."O nation miserable..."etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppy08

I did Cultural Context question on the onteraction with the culture first. I was a bit confused about whether you specifically had to talk about conflict only or interaction in general with a bitta conflict thrown in there. I hope you're allowed to say that sometimes characters didn't come into conflict with their cultures.

Crap! I did the same thing!?!? the statement implies you have to mention conflict but the question is about their interaction with the CC....
    Apart from that my answer was perfect (IMHO) how many marks have i just thrown away?

what does "in light of this statement" mean anyway ?!?

tbh honest i thought it was tricky, i know its higher level but all the questions had awkward twists to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Oh God, my Bishop answer was awful. I kept thinking about Adrienne Rich, and then I couldn't think of ANY Bishop quotes! I was ridiculously vague and only got 3 pages! aah!

Macbeth was great though, I did the compelling drama one, went really well.
    I thought the Cultural Context questions were a bit weird as well, but it went OK. Did the 70 mark one. I also did it like "some conflict, mostly not though."

tbh I can see why this was the backup paper! A few things were quite badly phrased imo

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

I'm raging now i didn't do the Montague question, probley would have been a better answered question than Walcott, my Walcott was a bit of a disaster, found it very hard to fit the question into what i knew...

Cultural context was grand, i did a page of theme or issue and got bored so i did the cultural context :p

Hopefully it went ok, i even left 20 minutes early...hmmm....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Motorbreath

Alas, so that wasn't so bad afterall!
    When we turned over the paper there was a collective sigh of relief amongst everyone in my exam hall :p

I did:

Macbeth - Q1. Talked about internal conflict in Macbeth and his evil deeds ( bloody + sleep imagery to support), deterioration of relationship with the Lady and Scotland under Macbeth's tyranny (with particular regards to disease imagery) ... all rooted back to Duncan's murder. Really happy :D7 pages

Theme and Issue - Q1 - bit bummed that G.V + V didn't come up but what can you do. I managed to ramble on and on and on ... think it went well though. 11 pages

Unseen Poetry - Did a response Q1. Unusual poem but I liked it. A bit pushed for time though so I read 'illness' up top and thought the guy had died.... whoops! 2 and a half pages

Prescribed Poetry - Did Keats Q with about 20 minutes to go (my time management is just terrible :pac:) although I managed to squeeze in three pages discussing Ode to Nightingale i.e poetic GOLD with some quick comparisons and references to others. Not too happy with running out of time but it should get me few desperation marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

GA361 wrote: »
    2.His desensitisation
    3.His moral decline

Off the top of my head..which is now in the process of removing all english question memories...

Macbeth:
    1) initial response to the murder
    2) His uncertainty
    3) need to keep killing/tyranny
    4) relationship with lady Macbeth falls apart, she loses her mind and dies
    5) He himself dies

Scotland: distortion of natural order, horses eating eachother, the fact soldiers desert macbeth in the final scenes etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

single text - regeneration, was great! had a question like that done before so i had a fair idea
    comparatives - cultural context. did the two part question, comparing macbeth for the 30 marks and PHIC and cinema paradiso for the 40 marks. disappointed with my macbeth one though
    poetry - Bishop. was stumped at forst when i read the question, but kinda got the hang of it after reading it a few times.
    didnt do the unseen poetry, decided to go back over spellings and stuff because im useless at unseen poetry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭KokaNoodles

piggies wrote: »
    for Walcott I said the conflict was an inner conflict about faith and religious beliefs - St. Lucia and Letter From Brooklyn.
    Then I just mentioned the tensions caused by colonialism - From Omeros and Sailor Sings Back to the Casuarinas.

Id say once u mentioned tension and conflict briefly and made some sort of links to the poems you'll be okay. Poetry isn't about right and wrong answers it's more your own view as long as you can back it up!
    Did the exact same, but added love and bolloxed my way through that. Was anyone else here relying on Vision and Viewpoint.
    Macbeth was grand and Poetry was ok but overall... I hate Louth folk

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

I only studied longley + GV+V ...

take a guess how I feel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Claypigeon wrote: »
    Because that's possible
    It's called a joke. Do they not have them in Sligo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Most people read the poets' names through the back of the paper and were delighted that Bishop and Walcott came up. I was too until I saw that the question was about the tension and conflic in his poetry. Now maybe it was just the poems I studied, but I couldn't think of any where tension and conflict were central to the poem.

You know who does have poetry FILLED with tension and conflict? Derek Mahon. Hmm.

So what did I do instead of doing the nice Bishop one about raising interesting questions? I foolishly did Walcott and agreed with the statement >.> and that's how I ended up messing up my timing due to poetry. My whole essay was rambling on about his exploration of the philosophical conflict between human nature and the passage of time. They were very tenuous links I made. I really should have done the Bishop essay but I panicked and thought I couldn't do it when it would have been much easier than the Walcott one :(

I'm happy with it anyway because I was able to write a good bit, and hopefully things like "in all three texts..." count as comparisons.

Macbeth was really rushed as I did it after the epic fail that was poetry. Only got three pages done, but I was very concise and to the point. I think I managed not to waffle, but there wasn't much cohesion between paragraphs.

Unseen poetry was an almighty mess. I did question 2 and did it on only about half to two thirds of a page >.<

Sorry to hear that Piste. You don't know that you did badly for sure though. When I did my leaving I came home absolutely hysterical from one of my exams. I was inconsolable for hours. My mother gave me a valium!

When the results came I got an A1! Just stay positive and focus on the rest of your exams. You really don't know.

I'm also realising it's quite a few years since I did my leaving and I feel old now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

how did people do the bishop question?

i did it like
    1.Intro
    2.Questions the indomitableness of the human spirit and her struggle with Alcoholism
    3.mindless destruction of War
    4.Childs curious response to death
    5.writing style
    6.conclusion

think i went miles off the mark though...

was a ncie paper overall.

We wrote: »
    I only studied longley + GV+V ...

take a guess how I feel
    bummer :eek: what poet did u do so? and i jus looked over cultural context once.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit
    Somebody said they did 11 pages for cultural contxt, i did 4 :(

GVNDNN wrote: »
    Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit
    Somebody said they did 11 pages for cultural contxt, i did 4 :(
    average is 4-5, i just about did 4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Ok in total, Macbeth grand, did the first questions talked about his motives for the murder, then led into the consequences, talked about the psychological consequences for Macbeth and the acts it causes him to do!..For Scotland the nature being disrupted and Macduff's talk with Malcolm

-Spent way to long on comparative, 6-7 pages, because i split them up and wrote too much for separate ones,

-Unseen went well, said it reminded me of grandfather by Mahon.

- Studied Longley, Did Bishop ran out of time...gimme a c1

Would have preferred the other paper, pathetic fallacy!:O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ThatWouldBeNice

Great paper - my three poets and CC came up on both papers, only difference, really, was the Macbeth question, which I found easier :D The specificness (?) of the poetry question kind of threw me a bit, but other than that it went well :cool:

• Advertisement

average is 4-5, i just about did 4

Yeahhh...
    I did 6 for Macbeth, 4 for cultural ands 4 for Walcott, but i did terrible with the Walcott essay, really should have done Montague

Advertisement