Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English P2 Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

I did:

Macbeth - Q1. 7 pages

Theme and Issue - Q1 11 pages

Unseen Poetry - Q1. 2 and a half pages

Jesus, 11 pages for comparative?!
    7 for Macbeth and 2 1/2 for unseen?!
    Are you mad or do you just have large writing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Moved posts from the massively long leak thread into this one.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

bummer :eek: what poet did u do so? and i jus looked over cultural context once.

prescribed poetry? none..

I ****ed the whole thing up.. once I saw that longley wasnt their it was pretty much game over as I couldn't stop thinking about it throughout the whole thing..

Did cultural context question, didnt mind so much as I think comparatives pretty easy.. but the poetry

FUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

hoping for C now... from a B2 in the mocks :<

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

GVNDNN wrote: »
    Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit
    Somebody said they did 11 pages for cultural contxt, i did 4 :(

Wouldn't worry about it. 4 is plenty as long as the content is good :) I got 6 done, some people had filled answerbooks with an hour left... 11 pages will do nothing except piss off an examiner and waffle loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

That_Guy wrote: »
    English Paper 2 - Part 2: The Empire Strikes Back.

:pac::pac:That's worth an A!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

awh my god! I'm so happy with that paper, thought i was royally screwed this morning.. didn't end up being HALF as bad as I'd expected!
    The bishop question was a bit odd... didn't really know what to say there so prob didn't do AS well as I could have! but sure feck it,
    NO MORE ENGLISH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭KokaNoodles

Yeahhh...
    I did 6 for Macbeth, 4 for cultural ands 4 for Walcott, but i did terrible with the Walcott essay, really should have done Montague
    got 3 and a bit done for my walcott essay, was hoping for a personal essay on bishop but i knew there woudnt be one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 HunterBK21

Q1. Macbeth consequences - Said loads about Macbeth going mad, losing his respect, and becoming a ruthless murderer, didn't do much on scotland. Just the pathethic falacy and how it is war torn. Did 5 pages

Q2. CC part two. Didn't like the idea of 'interacting with the cc'. Did 2 pages for part A and 2.75 for part b

Q3.A. Crap poem, just said stupid stuff on it. 2 pages in total
    B. Montague, 6.5 pages. its a lot, but its all relative. I love his poetry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ProjectC

jsut to let you know

englsih paper 2 replacement was literaly identical to the original one set for thurs morning

Macbeth question was EASIER than on the original paper-ingredients o what makes a compelling drama basically...unlimited ideas there deception good vs.evil etc

poetry- john keats walcot john montague elizabeth bishop

comprison culture context

altogether i reckon we got an easier paper than the original or at least the very same level as

when we got handed out the papers we all quckly scrambled to look through it. we all let a sigh of relief with my hands even going in the air(silently)..its was gas:D

We wrote: »
    prescribed poetry? none..

I ****ed the whole thing up.. once I saw that longley wasnt their it was pretty much game over as I couldn't stop thinking about it throughout the whole thing..

Did cultural context question, didnt mind so much as I think comparatives pretty easy.. but the poetry

FUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

hoping for C now... from a B2 in the mocks :<
    I heard off the radio that u can still get an A if u dont do the poetry question so dont worry about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

sron wrote: »
    I believe it said that he had an illness and acted like a child. It didn't relate the two as far as I remember. At least I hope so.
    Have the paper here, direct quote...

"In this poem, Anne Carson recalls her father and, in particular, his final illness during which he goes back to being like a child again".

Sounds pretty definite to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭kevogy

how much pages did you write

i did 10

3 bishop
    3 macbeth
    2 comparitive
    1 unseen

my friend did 20 pages!
    that would lose more marks

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

got 3 and a bit done for my walcott essay, was hoping for a personal essay on bishop but i knew there woudnt be one.

Yeah that's why i kind of left Bishop to the side, i was thinking if she came up her essay would never be straight forward, i kinda wish i did Montague but sure it's done now...i just keep thinking of Longley quotes when i was doing Walcott :(

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Happy with paper. I usally write A standard poetry essays but think my Keats was kinda dodgy!! Had prepared Keats, Longley & Montague. Felt I knew Keats much better so went with him bt Q was bit tricky!

Macbeth - compelling drama. Nice & open Q.

CC was grand, just kept referring to Q.

Unseen poetry - lovely!!! Hate them usually! Said it reminded me of Longley's 'Laertes' & 'Last Requests' because of the universal them but also of Heaney's poem 'Digging' (from our JC)

yay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

Thank god Keats came up, although I knew Bishop well too, but Keats is so much easier for me to identify with.

Anyhoo, here's what I did:

1) Macbeth, first question. Talked about how he developed into a tyrannical leader, and mindless killer. Reliance on the witches. The breakdown in Macbeth and Lady Macbeths relationship, and how Scotland became a place of disorder. I also raised the point that Malcom seemed less naive than Duncan and should be a better ruler, so it wasn't all bad :). 3.75 pages

2) Cultural context. Talked about expectations, morals, role of women and money. 4.25 pages

3) Unseen poem was fine, bit crappy really, but easy enough to answer on. 1.5 pages

4) Keats yay! I agreed with the statement mostly and talked about the futility of life/actions, permanency of art, the brilliance of nature and how he addresses love. Overall it only came to about 3.5 pages but was good.

Overall it was a nice paper, I just lost a bit of concentration in the middle due to people constantly walking infrount of my desk, occasionally hitting off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

God, that Theme or Issue question was heavenly. The Bishop question could have been nicer, too many bloody variables >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

The bishop question was unreal for me but i got so into it i only did 3 poems in detail like 1 and half pages each...it was quality but should i have done 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭aisling.laura

4.5 Bishop
    4.5 comparative
    4.5 macbeth
    2 unseen

so nearly 16 pages...

my arm is dying, it cracks everytime i straighten it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

Have the paper here, direct quote...

"In this poem, Anne Carson recalls her father and, in particular, his final illness during which he goes back to being like a child again".

Sounds pretty definite to me.

I'm sure you're right. Maybe I'll get a few pity marks anyway. Unseen poetry is the least important thing on either paper so I still might scrape a B.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

kevogy wrote: »

my friend did 20 pages!

If content was good they wont, they should get a very good mark because they must have known their stuff well. If it was 20 pages of made up rambling..good luck to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

For the macbeth question i did the first question, spent the first paragrah talking about how he was before he killed Duncan, ie. loyal etc. Only realized on my out that that might not be 100% correct... meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 VivaLaVida

Did the exact same, but added love and bolloxed my way through that. Was anyone else here relying on Vision and Viewpoint.
    Macbeth was grand and Poetry was ok but overall... I hate Louth folk

Ya, I did the same as you for poetry, mostly disagreeing with the statement they gave.

I was relying on vision and viewpoint and did theme instead. Wasn't great tbh, very rambly.

Liked the macbeth though.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

kevogy wrote: »

i did 10

3 bishop
    3 macbeth
    2 comparitive
    1 unseen

my friend did 20 pages!

Why do 3 pages for bishop and and only 2 for the comparative the latter is worth 20 more marks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

Macbeth---did first question talked about build up to murder,macbeths reaction to murder how he changes as the play progress'sfor Scotland talked about pathetic fallacy,supernatural,animal blood imagery did 4 pages on it very happy with it

Cultural Context---did first question was a bit strange but managed something for it fairly happy with it did 4 and a half pages for it!

Poetyr---did montague really nice question did 4 na dhalf on that to just talked about his imagery and themes!

Very happy way better then original exam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ProjectC

God, that Theme or Issue question was heavenly. The Bishop question could have been nicer, too many bloody variables >_>

i have to admit yes i did theme or issue (b) (i found (a) to open to me going astray of the point (b) gave me a directive as such)

it was Junior Cert level stuff

Yeah that's why i kind of left Bishop to the side, i was thinking if she came up her essay would never be straight forward, i kinda wish i did Montague but sure it's done now...i just keep thinking of Longley quotes when i was doing Walcott :(
    Thats why i only studied to poets :cool:, but yeah all my stuff on walcott was bollox tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 corkkerry

Father’s Old Blue Cardigan

BY ANNE CARSON

Now it hangs on the back of the kitchen chair
    where I always sit, as it did
    on the back of the kitchen chair where he always sat.

I put it on whenever I come in,
    as he did, stamping
    the snow from his boots.

I put it on and sit in the dark.
    He would not have done this.
    Coldness comes paring down from the moonbone in the sky.

His laws were a secret.
    But I remember the moment at which I knew
    he was going mad inside his laws.

He was standing at the turn of the driveway when I arrived.
    He had on the blue cardigan with the buttons done up all the way to the top.
    Not only because it was a hot July afternoon

but the look on his face—
    as a small child who has been dressed by some aunt early in the morning
    for a long trip

on cold trains and windy platforms
    will sit very straight at the edge of his seat
    while the shadows like long fingers

over the haystacks that sweep past
    keep shocking him
    because he is riding backwards.

I just spoke about the sentimentality of the poem and the relationship and sense of loss and mourning....also to show how it made me feel I said sad as I could relate to it as I grew up living with my Grandmother who suffered from Alzheimer's disease so I could understand the mental efffects...blah..blah...alls they want anyway is a PERSONAL RESPONSE and not an explanation of the poem!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

Thats why i only studied to poets :cool:, but yeah all my stuff on walcott was bollox tbh

Yeah i only did Longley and Walcott and i kinda knew bits on Montague but i thought i knew more for Walcott...haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

sron wrote: »
    I'm sure you're right. Maybe I'll get a few pity marks anyway. Unseen poetry is the least important thing on either paper so I still might scrape a B.
    Dont be so deafeatist...

1. Corrector might not actually notice this, depending on how your phrased your answer.
    2. If s/he does, if you still answered all the questions it wont make a difference.
    3. Even if you didn't, s/he still might not mark you down for it.

Dont get into the pity marks mentality :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    Taking a huge gamble and only prepared Longley. PLEEEEEEEASE!

Yup. Me too.

I think if it had happened on thursday (longley not coming up) i would've cried. But today, i just felt like laughing at the complete disaster that has been english this year. I had gone over walcott last night, basically knowing the names of his poems and what they're about, so i bullsh*tted my way through how he explores the tension and conflict of love. Bullsh*t indeed. I didnt even understand what "in an inventive fashion" meant, so just added that in in random places.

Macbeth and comparative, grand. Did ccQ1, and like piste, didn't REALLY get the whole meaning of the question, but ploughed through it anyway.

As for the unseen poem, i did it first when i was feeling particularly hopeless after the absence of longley. After hearing something about personal response, i basically wrote about how i can empathise with the poet having the experience of an illness. And went on, and on, and on. The examiner is going to think im dying. :o

And at the verrrry end, i wrote "bring back the old paper" with a big sad crying face. :cool:

Advertisement