Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English P2 Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

i found it really tough but i guess i brought it on myself. I only learnt longley and bishop - didnt know bishop aswell and thought the question was hard. i wouldve been able to write a personal response or like/dislike question though. I only learnt general vision and viewpoint. Didnt come up so had to waffle about cultural context. All in all, miles better than paper 1 but im struggling for a C grade now me thinks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

i was happy with that paper i only studied Montague and cultural context
    the macbeth was a bit weird though

i did 4 pages on cultural context
    5 on montague
    2 on macbeth (ran out of time)
    1 on unseen poem

it was a fair paper :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

Thinking back now on the Walcott question, it was pretty difficult but remember they won't be marking it as hard. So as long as you had a good knowledge of his poetry (plenty of quotes) and bull****ted it back to the question asked, you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

kevogy wrote: »
    how much pages did you write

i did 10

3 bishop
    3 macbeth
    2 comparitive
    1 unseen

my friend did 20 pages!
    that would lose more marks

I filled the booklet, but like if I started a new page and I was at the end of the answer I went onto a new page like..

I don't think writing loads is going to make you lose marks if what you write is relevent and if you can back it up!... well that's what I'm telling myself anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

corkkerry wrote: »
    Father’s Old Blue Cardigan

BY ANNE CARSON

Now it hangs on the back of the kitchen chair
    where I always sit, as it did
    on the back of the kitchen chair where he always sat.

I put it on whenever I come in,
    as he did, stamping
    the snow from his boots.

I put it on and sit in the dark.
    He would not have done this.
    Coldness comes paring down from the moonbone in the sky.

His laws were a secret.
    But I remember the moment at which I knew
    he was going mad inside his laws.

He was standing at the turn of the driveway when I arrived.
    He had on the blue cardigan with the buttons done up all the way to the top.
    Not only because it was a hot July afternoon

but the look on his face—
    as a small child who has been dressed by some aunt early in the morning
    for a long trip

on cold trains and windy platforms
    will sit very straight at the edge of his seat
    while the shadows like long fingers

over the haystacks that sweep past
    keep shocking him
    because he is riding backwards.

I just spoke about the sentimentality of the poem and the relationship and sense of loss and mourning....also to show how it made me feel I said sad as I could relate to it as I grew up living with my Grandmother who suffered from Alzheimer's disease so I could understand the mental efffects...blah..blah...alls they want anyway is a PERSONAL RESPONSE and not an explanation of the poem!:)

They want to see your understanding of the poem too, and some analysis of the poetic techniques and styles of writing used.

I wrote about the use of the personal pronoun "I" throughout to keep it very much personal and real for the reader; the mixture of present tense and past tense constantly interchanging made a feeling of recollection present in the poem and communicated feelings of sadness and loneliness particularly in the line where she mentions the sky - makes her seem insignificant and very much alone in the house with just the "cardigan" to comfort her, a memento of her father. Wrote about how it made me consider the sadness of illness and change in life and how we always have memories etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 UnaLuna

Started with poetry first to get my 70 marks in
    Walcott- talked about how he deals with conflict between life and death, transcience of life. Love and nature etc...said it was imaginative in that he uses simplistic but effective accesible metaphors, unique in his perspectives, realistic upon reflection. Inventive in his philosophical perspectives etc etc etc

Unseen- Did the second 1, said the father was a loved man who became lost to alzheimers or dementia, reverting to childhood and going 'mad' in his laws at the same time. said she made a pretty crap ambience made me feel rly sad, (was actually rly sad!)...etc (but like a poems whatever it is to you! thats the beauty of those 20 marks!)

Compartve- CC...tlked about how the cultural factors of their worlds encourage conflicts around them. i.e role of men conflict causes all three protagonists to depart their homes.

Macbeth....ah this one, gosh I was very stuck for time so did the 2nd one because it required less thought and quoted t F***. Did imagery cause 'dramatic poetry and images' makes a compelling drama. found it really odd they way they made it SO broad, rly thought there was something hidden there. I didnt know if they wanted dramatic technique (i.e imagery, poetry) but I cudda been SO wrong. I really feel if you could convince them something made it 'dramatic' that wud be fine but I was very VERY untrusting of that Q. Was too nice for my liking....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

Bloody terrible paper. Couldnt do the walcott question, it was too specific, I read the bishop one wrongly and discounted it, so ended up doing Montague, crap answer, and ran out of time.

Macbeth, for some reason I thought the compelling drama question was asking style, soliloquys etc, I didnt know whether I could write about pretty much anything or if it was a style question. God only knows why, because I could have written a really good answer.
    Found the other question hard, for macbeth I wrote how it affected his life, his relationship with lady macbeth, killed his good friend banquo, then for scotland i said it ruined the natural order, talked about the political order, natural world (about the horses eating each other etc) and deception in the natural world.
    Dont know if I did it right but its done now..

Theme and issue question no. 1 was lovely. Think I did ok in it, was very rushed though. Paper one was so lovely, and so was the real paper two. I need an A2/B1 - damn you, contingency paper.

Am I the only one who thought it was a crap paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Thought it was a grand paper, Macbeth questions were handier than the ones that come up on the oringal paper, Bishop came up but it was a poxy question and well the unseen poem wasn't the best. All in all hopefully a decent result overall, hoping for my a B3 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

And at the verrrry end, i wrote "bring back the old paper" with a big sad crying face. :cool:

lol. I'm sure you did well. I have to feel for you though - my friend only had Longley prepared. When we could open our papers everyone heard her just go 'F*CK!'

Yup. Me too.

I think if it had happened on thursday (longley not coming up) i would've cried. But today, i just felt like laughing at the complete disaster that has been english this year. I had gone over walcott last night, basically knowing the names of his poems and what they're about, so i bullsh*tted my way through how he explores the tension and conflict of love. Bullsh*t indeed. I didnt even understand what "in an inventive fashion" meant, so just added that in in random places.

Macbeth and comparative, grand. Did ccQ1, and like piste, didn't REALLY get the whole meaning of the question, but ploughed through it anyway.

As for the unseen poem, i did it first when i was feeling particularly hopeless after the absence of longley. After hearing something about personal response, i basically wrote about how i can empathise with the poet having the experience of an illness. And went on, and on, and on. The examiner is going to think im dying. :o

And at the verrrry end, i wrote "bring back the old paper" with a big sad crying face. :cool:

Yeah I didn't really understnad the ccq1 either. It was like they were asking 2 different questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

corkkerry wrote: »
    I just spoke about the sentimentality of the poem and the relationship and sense of loss and mourning....also to show how it made me feel I said sad as I could relate to it as I grew up living with my Grandmother who suffered from Alzheimer's disease so I could understand the mental efffects...blah..blah...alls they want anyway is a PERSONAL RESPONSE and not an explanation of the poem!:)

I think pretty much my whole class implied that they had grandparents with alzheimer's! Even though a good few are genuine, i can only imagine what an examiner is gonna think.......

I felt the exact same way, I knew Longley so much better than the rest. Luckily I remembered so much about Walcott while writing my incredible Cultural context essay :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ChickenScratch

We had only covered Bishop, the question was a bitch. Theme question lovely, understood the unseen poem luckily and Macbeth all good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

For the Macbeth compelling drama Q I just went into themes of Macbeth like theme of self destruction, deception, evil, vaulting ambition etc. Hope I did OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Anyone else fill up the booklet?

I wrote:
    Macbeth 7.5 pages
    Bishop 5 pages
    Comp. 6 pages
    Unseen 1.5 pages

...I think...

Anyone else do Theme/Issue? The question was way way easier than CC.

Overall though, did NOT go too well. I was hoping for an A2 maybe but I'd say what I wrote was more B1/B2 standard. The poetry questions were outrageous IMO... Like that one about Walcott. I mean WTF, seriously?! I was hoping I'd be able to do him...but no...

Damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Rob! wrote: »
    I think pretty much my whole class implied that they had grandparents with alzheimer's! Even though a good few are genuine, i can only imagine what an examiner is gonna think.......

It's more important to refer to how the writing and style of the poem impacted on you, not that you write

"dis poem is bout a gui who haz alshimerz i hav 1 of dem at hoam" sort of thing. Joking aside I thought it was a very good poem that really caught me off guard and really did get me thinking!

Pissed me off when I got outside the hall and heard the usual morons going "What was that about oh my god it made no sense" and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I though the Bishop question was easy... Especially compared with Montague. "Write a speech or something... blah." FFS. I hate that kind of journalistic crap. grr

Yay Bishop :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

Claypigeon wrote: »
    Pissed me off when I got outside the hall and heard the usual morons going "What was that about oh my god it made no sense" and all that

ha same here i did 2 part question for that one!was a nice poem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 UnaLuna

yeh have to say the short poem was rly good! usually i find them a bit hard to kinda think about but this one was straight to the point. hed hit the rocker and he was sad. it made me sad. she was sad. were all sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I just want to thank that intendant who handed out the 'real' paper II last Wednesday, because the backup paper we did today was a hell of a lot easier - especially the Macbeth question.

Macbeth
    Did part (ii) and said that characters, themes and imagery all make for a compelling drama. Used loads of quotes in relevant places as well.

Comparative
    Did the cultural context between The Truman Show, The Grass Is Singing and The Crucible. Did the 2nd part that split into 30 and 40 marks.

Poetry
    Did the question that split into two parts for the unseen poetry.
    Then did Walcott for my essay which went well. Talked about his simple language and nature etc.

Wrote 10 pages overall. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pala!

MacBeth - Fine, just spoke about how MacBeth being the hero and villain, deception, supernatural, Mac'ies downfall and how it adds to the drama etc.

3.5 - 4 Pages I believe.

Comparative Study - Fine. Spoke about how class distictions effected the characters and how they delt with the attitude to war during that time. Hopefully I referred to the question enough, slightly worried about that.

4 pages (4.5 I'm not sure)

Prescribed Poetry - Fine, I done Montague. Made sure the examiner knew I was speaking to an audience. Threw in some "ladies and gentlemen" and a "My airtime is running out, so I will leave it at that".

Just about 4 I think.

Unseen Poetry - Meh, never good at it. Maybe half of the marks.

1.5 pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

Piste wrote: »
    I wasn't happy :(

Most people read the poets' names through the back of the paper and were delighted that Bishop and Walcott came up. I was too until I saw that the question was about the tension and conflic in his poetry. Now maybe it was just the poems I studied, but I couldn't think of any where tension and conflict were central to the poem.

You know who does have poetry FILLED with tension and conflict? Derek Mahon. Hmm.

Macbeth was really rushed as I did it after the epic fail that was poetry. Only got three pages done, but I was very concise and to the point. I think I managed not to waffle, but there wasn't much cohesion between paragraphs.

Unseen poetry was an almighty mess. I did question 2 and did it on only about half to two thirds of a page >.<

So yeah, looks like it's bye bye medicine.

I feel exactly the same, I want to do veterinary, came home and said well thats my dream down the drain.

OH CRAP

The Jews havent done the paper yet!

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Piste wrote: »
    I wasn't happy :(

So yeah, looks like it's bye bye medicine.

Don't worry, in english theres no way of knowing what they'll be looking for. And with the hpat, AND all your other exams to go, english hopefully wont mess it up :)
    1fahy4 wrote: »
    For Macbeth I wrote about:
    1.Initial horror at what he has done...
    2.Has no peace of mind etc...driven to murder again
    3.Leads to his wife's suicide
    4.Leads to his world-weariness etc...
    5.Leads to his eventual death at the hands of Macduff

Scotland:
    1.Pathetic fallacy...Horses eating each other n **** :)
    2.The Scottish people live in constant fear...tyranny of his rule
    3."O nation miserable..."etc.

This is literally mine word for word! :eek:
    ImJohn wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't really understnad the ccq1 either. It was like they were asking 2 different questions.

I didn't really get it either. It was something like the main characters are in conflict with the world/culture, and in the light of this statement, compare how they interact with the cultural contexts. Confusing :p

Edit: O, and, forgot to say in the last post, going over my walcott attempt-at-an-essay at the end, i had longleys name in there about 8 times. Thank god i caught that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

OH CRAP

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH

Don't worry, they're quarantined :p

lorna100 wrote: »
    I feel exactly the same, I want to do veterinary, came home and said well thats my dream down the drain.
    Come on guys, this is english not maths, ye might still get high marks. English is a bollox because its very hard to predict how well you did but usually its higher than what you think you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

Claypigeon wrote: »
    It's more important to refer to how the writing and style of the poem impacted on you, not that you write

"dis poem is bout a gui who haz alshimerz i hav 1 of dem at hoam" sort of thing. Joking aside I thought it was a very good poem that really caught me off guard and really did get me thinking!

I agree completely! But generally when my class doesn't understand a question/poem they resort to some form of pointless emotive waffle. :p

"Caught off guard" is exactly how to describe it. It was a lovely poem to respond to though. plenty of material to work with and refer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

OH CRAP

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH

I said something about that earlier and it got deleted.

I'd run if I were you

Damn.

What happened to free speech? I thought this was America, rabble rabble, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

did 4 and a half pages for cultural context, 4 pages poetry, 1 and half unseen and 6 pages macbeth consequence one. was not happy with those poetry questions, wayyy more specifc than ever before had to try to mash my keats essay into the question. wasnt the worst paper really felt a bit like a ****ty mock paper though, no wonder it wasnt chosen for the exam in the first place

Advertisement