Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English P2 Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

The CC Q just asked you to explain how the characters were contstantly struggling against their culutural contexts, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭aisling.laura

theowen wrote: »
    The CC Q just asked you to explain how the characters were contstantly struggling against their culutural contexts, no?

yup kinda. well thats what i said!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

thought it was pretty ok overall. will come down from my pre result though as i got 50/50 for my poetry in that and i'd be surprised if i got more than 25 for my answer on bishop... didn't like tha bishop question but i had hoped longley would be there and she was only a back up!

cultural context was pretty good and we cant complain about the macbeth questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

What a sexy paper.

Macbeth Q - Did the ingredients to a compelling drama, I threw in betrayal,equivocation and lady macbeth as a villian.

Poetry - Bishop Q. Q of Identity in ' In the waiting room ', Q of Childhood innocence in 'sestina' , Q of Understanding Death in 'First Death' and Q of omnipresence in 'The filling station.

Comparative- Cultural context.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

Was ok, could be better. In Macbeth question (I did part (i)) I wrote how he became a villain from the "brave and loyal Macbeth", the witches part in it, relationship with his wife (from the partners of greatness to "she should have died hereafter", his mental outbursts. On Scotland I mostly wrote about the nature and illness, because nothing else came into my mind. I finished with his depression "I have lived long enough" and how the good triumphs over evil and restores Scotland's natural order. I also made a note, that the witches, who started all this mess, were not pusnished, so it gives me an idea that evil is always near. I just couldn't resist :D.
    Cultural context was ok, just compared everything and made a notes how this makes it conflict. Wrote about setting and location, social class, family life and religion.
    Unseen poem was nice and easy, I always get around 18/20 marks from it, hopefully this will be the same again. And yes, I found this poem quite sad.
    Derek Walcott was a disgrace, wrote only three pages, all the quotes went out of my mind :(, so it was a quick summary of his poems and then how each poem explores tensions and conflicts in an inventive fashion (blah blah blah about his eye for details and so on).
    I wrote on the back - "what a horrible, horrible paper. A total disgrace. And smiling face :))

Well, I hope I passed my English :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pala!

Basically what I answered, really vague question though.

I just spoke how the charcters had to deal with snobbery and the attitute to war. Sounds fine to me, but they shouldn't mark you hard if you were'nt right on the dot because as I said the question was really vague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Thought it was a deadly paper. Macbeth was lovely question, cultural context was easy to write on and walcott was basically a personal essay you just had to refer to the tensions and conflicts and his originality! Lovely! Only had 5 mins for the poem tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Did the ingredients macbeth question. It was ...delicious.
    Wrote about 4 pages for that. Was an easy question anyway - you could have written about any aspect of it!

Comparative was great too. Wrote 6 pages about the different ways they're controlled,how they deal with it and a few other things like hierarchy etc.

Unseen Petry. Kinda ****ed that one up a bit. Only wrote a page of ramblings.

I did the Bishop question too. Words were flowing out of me for that one. I should have left myself more time though to cover everything in more detail because I started it with about 40 minutes to go and wrote 4 pages.

There was a collective sigh of relief when we all turned to see Bishop on the paper. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

very happy ....

my hand was killing me though...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭KokaNoodles

VivaLaVida wrote: »
    Ya, I did the same as you for poetry, mostly disagreeing with the statement they gave.

I was relying on vision and viewpoint and did theme instead. Wasn't great tbh, very rambly.

Liked the macbeth though.
    Yeah my macbeth essay wasnt to bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Well that was an ok paper. (I seen to be saying this alot.)
    Section 1: E1 (Macbeth) - This question caught me off guard as although their is quiet a bit that you can write about it wasn't the easiest of topic. I ended up writing about a lot that didn't link back to Duncan directly but did so indirectly.
    Section 2: B1 - Nice question it worked well with the texts that I studied. I just hope I included enough comparisons.
    Section 3: A2 - I have to agree with others this poem was quite depressing. The questions were easy enough to answer however.
    Section 3: B4 - This question was quiet exclusive to the topic they wanted. It would have been nice to have a broader question. I still think I managed to discuss some of the questions in her poems.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Back Prince

was an animal paper i yelped wen i seen Bishop o yea:cool: Then comparative was :D then i did Macbeth start was good then came to black at 1/3 page waffled a fourth and felt like :( then unseen was all deadly and i whooped ass :p was a good paper better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Piste wrote: »
    I wasn't happy :(

Most people read the poets' names through the back of the paper and were delighted that Bishop and Walcott came up. I was too until I saw that the question was about the tension and conflic in his poetry. Now maybe it was just the poems I studied, but I couldn't think of any where tension and conflict were central to the poem.

You know who does have poetry FILLED with tension and conflict? Derek Mahon. Hmm.

So what did I do instead of doing the nice Bishop one about raising interesting questions? I foolishly did Walcott and agreed with the statement >.> and that's how I ended up messing up my timing due to poetry. My whole essay was rambling on about his exploration of the philosophical conflict between human nature and the passage of time. They were very tenuous links I made. I really should have done the Bishop essay but I panicked and thought I couldn't do it when it would have been much easier than the Walcott one :(

I did Cultural Context question on the onteraction with the culture first. I was a bit confused about whether you specifically had to talk about conflict only or interaction in general with a bitta conflict thrown in there. I hope you're allowed to say that sometimes characters didn't come into conflict with their cultures.

I'm happy with it anyway because I was able to write a good bit, and hopefully things like "in all three texts..." count as comparisons.

Macbeth was really rushed as I did it after the epic fail that was poetry. Only got three pages done, but I was very concise and to the point. I think I managed not to waffle, but there wasn't much cohesion between paragraphs.

Unseen poetry was an almighty mess. I did question 2 and did it on only about half to two thirds of a page >.<

So yeah, looks like it's bye bye medicine.

Don't worry about the unseen poetry, only 20 marks and a half page should get you at least 10 if not more.

I also did cc some areas where there was conflict but the charcters rose above it. Barring a pissy examiner we should be fine.

Keep the faith!:)

-Spent way to long on comparative, 6-7 pages, because i split them up and wrote too much for separate ones,

- Studied Longley, Did Bishop ran out of time...gimme a c1

Would have preferred the other paper, pathetic fallacy!:O

i know how you feel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

Ah it was grand, will hopefully get the C I need.
    Wrote 4 pages for Macbeth
    5 pages for cultural context
    4 pages for poetry
    just one page for the unseen poetry - had 10 minutes to do it.... filled it with bulls*it. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭KokaNoodles

GVNDNN wrote: »
    Yeah i only did Longley and Walcott and i kinda knew bits on Montague but i thought i knew more for Walcott...haha
    what stuff did u throw down? i just copied my personal essay on him with collonialism, religion and love :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

I didn't really get it either. It was something like the main characters are in conflict with the world/culture, and in the light of this statement, compare how they interact with the cultural contexts. Confusing :p

The 1st cc question was quite confusing i thought aswell. Kept going on about conflict with society the police, upper class etc. However no idea what they meant by 'interact with their society'?
    I just wrote a bit on the end how two of the main characters managed to adapt and that failed by not interacting

Reckon I'll be grand?:confused:

oh and i really didn't fully understand the unseen poem in the exam but it makes so much more sense when i read it after...:mad:

Such a nice paper!

The first Macbeth question was brilliant.

Any my one and only poet, Keats, came up!

I actually think it was a nicer paper than the "original" (if what people say was on the original was actually on it, that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Great paper. Didnt get Longley but you cant have everything. Lovely question on Regeneration.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I was so disappointed when Longley didn't come up (he's my favourite) but I did study the 4 that came up so I answered the Keats question (which I loved! I shoved in some critic's opinions on him :P).

Since we never covered Cultural Context I was stuck answering about key moments for Theme or Issue (I'd have preferred General Vision and Viewpoint), so my answer was a tad waffly.... *sigh* I can see my A floating away now.

As for Macbeth - what a question! I did the one about Duncan, and it was the best question I've ever seen in my life! I was thrilled with my answer, until I realised I'd gone 20 mins over my allotted 55 minutes, so I was left with 5 (:O) minutes to do the unseen poem. *cough* It wasn't good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

amacachi wrote: »
    Christ the papers are going overboard with the vilification of the guy who messed up.
    Saw the front page of the The Sun's front page in a garage - disgraceful. Gutter press

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

did anyone else not know what to write on the front of their answer booklet - i wrote English paper 2, paper 3 contingency paper!

give the examiner a lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

What a legend paper! I actually preferred it to the 1st one! Bishop yeah, and an easy question on her, yay!! The only other poet I could have done was Walcott, my class didn't do Keats or Montague and his question was a pig of a question!

Cultural Context, I nearly had an orgasm when I seen the first question. My teacher had an unreal sample answer done about that very question...it was the exact same and I had it learned off... that was the only thing I knew about the whole of comparative and it came up!

Macbeth Q was deadly aswell, If you knew the play at all you would have wrote a decent answer! Yey!

Im off to buy matches... Ive some books that need to be "erased" from my memory for good! Im going to be dedicating the fire to the great people of Louth!!

Its raining again! Yay, Makes study that little bit easier!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Did Montague.I was delighted coz I had him better covered than Longley.I know the L-Man fans out there were dissapointed but I'm sure you all did grand!
    I think I did ok on Macbeth and I mussed the prescribed poetry up a little due to haywire planning at the start but I think i'll at least get half marks for it,unseen went ok,didnt particularly like the questions that went with it but I got Montague so I cant be greedy! I walked out after that exam wth a big grin...which was swiftly washed away by torrential rain and the sound of my umbrella collapsing under the strain of the wind....where did that weather come from???This morning I thought it was an omen for the paper lol.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Nice paper overall - can't describe the fear I felt before turning it over and the subsequent relief to see the words JOHN MONTAGUE - Godsend:pac:

The long cultural context question was a little too specific for my liking, but meh...could've been worse.

''An ingredient which makes Macbeth a compelling drama''...hmm...Hello - DECEPTION :D B-e-a-utiful!

So glad that's over!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

I'm glad it's over too. I don't know why I'm pissed off, I wrote quite ok in it (I hope so :( ). I passed in my mocks without even starting poetry question. I think I need some good nights sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

Ugh, I feel so pessimistic after all these positive responses but I didn't think that paper was great. I think I really fcuked up.

Macbeth (4.5 Pages): I did Q (ii) and I opted for just one 'ingredient' which makes it a compelling drama. I wrote about how the graphic imagery is striking and greatly adds to the atmosphere/ sense of drama. I haven't heard of anyone else who did this. Does anyone know if this will be alright or should I have discussed more aspects? :(

Comparative (6 Pages): I did Cultural Context. Not too bad, actually finished it this time, unlike my pre. I focused on how the characters interact with their cultural environment rather than conflict. Dunno if that was the right thing to do.

Unseen Poem (1.5 Pages): This was so rushed and probably made absolutely no sense. I rambled on for ages and I thought I'd done okay-ish until I reread the paper at home and realised that the poet was a woman!! I kept saying "he" :o What a fool I am. I wonder if they'll care much about this.

Prescribed Poetry (4 Pages): Finally, the complete disaster that was my Walcott essay. Oh god, it makes me cringe to even think about it. I had mainly studied poems which deal with his relationships, these poems bare no relation, in my opinion, to "tension" or "conflict". Ha, instead of disagreeing with the statement (with I never even considered- agh) I bullsh*tted my way through the question and went on about "the tensions in his heart" or "the conflict in his mind". The examiner is going to think i'm such a chancer. I only discussed three poems as I was running out of time and made a passing reference to a fourth.

I'd be very lucky to get a B now I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Walsh wrote: »
    If people had their smarts about them, they would cause uproar, A1's all over the place!

Was thinking this exact thing ugh boards you're ruining it for everyone!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

-ME- wrote: »
    Ugh, I feel so pessimistic after all these positive responses but I didn't think that paper was great. I think I really fcuked up.

Macbeth (4.5 Pages): I did Q (ii) and I opted for just one 'ingredient' which makes it a compelling drama. I wrote about how the graphic imagery is striking and greatly adds to the atmosphere/ sense of drama. I haven't heard of anyone else who did this. Does anyone know if this will be alright or should I have discussed more aspects? :(

I'm sure you did just fine, relax :) Yeah just one ingredient for macbeth would be fine, as the question said "commenting on one or more of the ingredients, which, in your opinion, make Macbeth a compelling drama."

Advertisement