Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English P2 Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Of course it's fine to use just one "ingredient", read the question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Such a nice paper!

The first Macbeth question was brilliant.

Any my one and only poet, Keats, came up!

I actually think it was a nicer paper than the "original" (if what people say was on the original was actually on it, that is).

Didn't I tell ya?! :P

It was meh overall,to be honest. Macbeth question,I did the first one,stuffed it up a bit now that I think about it but it wasn't too bad. Went on to the poetry,bull****ted the unseen one,made what I consider a reasonable attempt at Bisop,had just under an hour left,panicked a bit,did the first theme question,couldn't decide on a theme (ended up picking appearance vs reality and using some really abstract "key moments"....)

It was grand,I'm probably making it out to be worse than it was. After my paper 1 fiasco though,and the fact that I was counting on an A1 (HA! So much for "you can't go down a grade after the mocks"...) I can kiss sweet goodbye to Law. Not sure if I'll repeat or just do English next year,we'll see. Hand is killing me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

Nice wan, thanks. Can't help thinking that just referring to imagery was a little tenuous especially as no one else seems to have done it. Sher, I'll see in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Not sure if I'll repeat or just do English next year,we'll see.

if you are thinking of adding points from this year and 2010 it cannot be done i'm afraid

EDIT: hmmmm did you mean do english in the leaving or do english in college as an u/grad degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

On countdown to 306 the "experts" said that you should have disagreed with the statement on Walcott because there is virtually no conflict in any of the poems on the course!

Thank god for Bishop!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

pathway33 wrote: »
    if you are thinking of adding points from this year and 2010 it cannot be done i'm afraid

Oh no,I meant do English in college,it's my second choice :)

Oh no,I meant do English in college,it's my second choice :)

a lesson for everyone....look before you leap :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

-ME- wrote: »
    Nice wan, thanks. Can't help thinking that just referring to imagery was a little tenuous especially as no one else seems to have done it. Sher, I'll see in August.

Thank god somebody else did that! I literally read the question about 20 times thinking surely I can't do just imagery, but I wasn't crazy about the other question so I went ahead with it.
    Couldn't quite shake off the feeling that I was cheating though!!
    It still wasn't great though, I said images of evil and then I didn't really know if I should refer back to evil or compelling in each paragraph

Unseen - Crap answers to a crap poem!

Comparative - Cultural Context. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Poetry - Had to change my Bishop essay a lot, but it wasn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    On countdown to 306 the "experts" said that you should have disagreed with the statement on Walcott because there is virtually no conflict in any of the poems on the course!

Thank god for Bishop!

Well, if a person stated that it is and gave a suitable example... :P.
    I was messed up with Derek Walcott question (especially conflict) and I gave an example about The Young Wife and her husband's "inner conflict" (yeah it sounds funny :D) with himself as he's grieving, he loves her, but he also was angry at her, because she died. Well, whatever, I'll get at least several marks for writing that damn question :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Thank god for Bishop!

Balls, are you serious?

I did the Walcott question but was a bit short on time. I got about 2 1/2 - 3 pages done, which isn't alot, but I thought I made a decent stab at it. I'm sure they won't penalise anyone for angreeing with the statement (which is what I did). I just bull****ted about how his mind is in conflict due to the doubt vs. faith theme that recurs in his poetry. Only mentioned two poems in detail, and one paragraph on a third. Anyone think I've made a mess of it?

Overall, BTW, I liked the paper. Hand is ready to fall off, but it will be worth it if I manage a B. I think I did pretty well overall, but with English, it's almost impossible to know.

I though I had done well on the mocks, but I only ended up getting 61%. Examiner seemed to mark them awfully hard, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Mixed feelings on that. I was initially delighted spotting both Keats and Bishop but since I only studied the bare minimum for Cultural Context I'm fairly sure I screwed that up.
    For Macbeth (ii) I wrote about imagery (blood and clothing) and the prominence of evil (Macbeth, his wife and the witches) so I think I did well enough to get an A in that question.
    The Keats question wasn't too hard but I don't think my answer was too cohesive. Only had 15 minutes for Unseen Poetry, got a page and a half of a personal response done.

Despite all that, I think my biggest worry is getting a D if the examiner can't understand my writing (it gets all messy when I'm in a rush). If there was even half an hour more time I'd say I could've done really well.

Lucet wrote: »
    Well, if a person stated that it is and gave a suitable example... :P.
    I was messed up with Derek Walcott question (especially conflict) and I gave an example about The Young Wife and her husband's "inner conflict" (yeah it sounds funny :D) with himself as he's grieving, he loves her, but he also was angry at her, because she died. Well, whatever, I'll get at least several marks for writing that damn question :D.

I did something similar. Except I only got time to write a short paragraph on The Young Wife. In fact, thinking back, I'm not sure if I even pointed out any conflict in the poem. Christ, I hope I didn't just summarise :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Thought that was a very easy paper. Macbeth and the Comparative were very straightforward. The Bishop question required a bit of thought but gave a lot of scope to answer imo. The Walcott question was a weird one. Don't think I even know 2 poems relating to that question. But looking back I suppose I was only prepared to answer on love. I'll have to remember that in future..... Oh wait I no I won't:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

U could talk bout the conflict he has with religious institutions(st. Lucia's 1st communion), his conflicts with love(3 divorces and loads of his poems), and his conflicts with the transience of life(for adrian) thats walcott btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

Duffman'05 wrote: »
    Nice paper overall - can't describe the fear I felt before turning it over and the subsequent relief to see the words JOHN MONTAGUE - Godsend:pac:

The long cultural context question was a little too specific for my liking, but meh...could've been worse.

''An ingredient which makes Macbeth a compelling drama''...hmm...Hello - DECEPTION :D B-e-a-utiful!

So glad that's over!

Deception? I didn't do that xD
    I did several aspects of it, like elements of the supernatural, good vs. evil, action, plot, murder, etc, etc, etc. 5 and a halfish pages? Hope I wrote on the right stuff but I constantly referred back to the question and made my points clear.

Oh well over with now, delighted with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

I'm not sure what I think about that paper to be honest.
    English in generally is just a subject I've gotten sick of. I got an A in the JC but this time round I'd be delighted with any type of B. It's like I had a mental block when it came to learning the quotes and stuff and I've NEVER been one for learning poetry/macbeth answers straight off though lord knows I could have done with more time.

Macbeth:
    Q2 'ingredients of compelling drama'

When I first saw this question I was like '****! Am I going to have to talk about the features of a tragedy and themes and imagery' so I went away and came back to it last.
    Then I saw the 1 or more bit and nearly danced out of the hall.
    I discussed basically the witches and the supernatural forces.

I discussed how
    The witches were essential to creating a compelling drama, acting as catalysts.
    How the supernatural forces would have been relevant back in Willy's day and created a compelling drama
    Discussed witches impact on Macbeth [only 3 prophecies then boom, he's murdering left right and centre]
    The Hallucinations
    The imagery of light and dark and then all the stuff happening around due to Macbeth's downfall/tyranncy - Forgot to use the words pathetic fallacy- kicking myself over it
    Then I went on about how sad it was Macbeth only had the witches left to trust and then it was all downhill after that and then I ran out of time so scribbled down a closing paragraph.

It didn't go ideally at all but I was just happen I got it all down! 6 pages

B. Comparative

bit shocked there was no GV&V so went for Cultural Context [1]

Found the question tricky. As in there was the conflict bit and then there was the interaction bit. Did it under heading of Family, Power and Values.
    Referred back to conflict the whole time but I am not sure how coherent it was tbh. Before I knew it I had 7 pages on that but spent nearly 15 mintues too long on that.

C. Prescribed Poetry

Went for Bishop as I had only crammed in Walcott the night before.
    Again challenging question because you had to focus on 'interesting questions','unique style' as well as themes. I thought I waffled a lot. Forgot how not to storytell. Only did 4 poems. That was about 5 pages.
    God knows how that will read.

Then I was out of time.
    As in I writing up to the last minute and they gave us 5 extra mins cos' we started a bit late.

So no Unseen Poetry done. Bit pissed about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Yeah a nice paper, I'd say I did better in this one than I would have on the leaked paper.

Macbeth - Did Q1 about the consequences of the murder. Didn't write as much as I would've liked, but I never do for Macbeth. What I did write though was pretty good, I think.

Comparative - Did CC Q1, fitted in nicely with the texts I studied so was happy with that.

Unseen Poetry - I think I may have misinterpreted the poem a little bit but I'll get a few marks anyway, it's not too important.

Poetry - I'd only studied Bishop and briefly looked over Walcott so I was delighted when Bishop came up. Question wasn't the easiest but I think I did pretty well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I thought it would be obvious that i was trying to skip out of the question. Like saying "I disagree that walcott explores tensions and conflicts, however, he does deal with love...." :rolleyes: Meh, they'd have got the same essay anyway, with the statement thrown in for good measure at random places :p

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

Thought it was a nice paper, but did any one else have to read the comparative questions a few time to understand what they were asking? Might just have been cos I was panicking, but I thought they were phrased weirdly!
    Anyway, did cultural context about the main characters conflict with their culture. Kinda had to make up the conflict part on the spot but I thought it went ok!

Poetry-After planning on doing Bishop, I thought it was a horrible question, so I did Walcott, and made some tenous "inner conflict" links! such as conflict of loving someone, but having to move on (to Norline), and conflict between grieving for someone but being angry at them for dying(the young wife).etc

Macbeth did the first question wrote about
    1.how he was tortured by regret after the murder
    2.He lost all his popularity and respect
    3. Lady M going mad and killing herself
    4. Realises crown doesn't make him happy
    5.Scotland became chaotic, and disordered and whatnot
    6.Scotland lost a great king, Duncan

think it went pretty good! hand is killing me though!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deisechap09

tought it was fairly nice overall!!no complaints...with comparative do you go for more cohesion n detail and less comparisons or limited detail n oads of comparisons....never found out which is best??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

The more I think about the unseen poetry the more I think I messed up. I more or less said I think her father is a bit of an eejit without knowing he has alzheimers. Oops.

Ah well, I'm not worried cos I think I did alright in describing the mood and it's not really an important section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Weekend Warrior

did anyone else not know what to write on the front of their answer booklet - i wrote English paper 2, paper 3 contingency paper!

give the examiner a lol

Lol yeah I wrote English Paper "TWO" with quotation marks.

Ok I'm seriously rethinking my whole Walcott answer after what they said on Countdown to 306, ie. that it would have been better to disagree with the question. :( I agreed with it totally, I said there was tension in Summer Elegies (relationship with Cynthia ends, also references to colonisation), conflict in Omeros (conflict between Achille's illustrious heritage and the life he himself has as a fisherman), conflict in For Adrian (between Adrian's attitude to death and his family's attitude), and religious conflict in Saint Lucia's First Communion. Should that be ok?! :confused:

Lol yeah I wrote English Paper "TWO" with quotation marks.

Ok I'm seriously rethinking my whole Walcott answer after what they said on Countdown to 306, ie. that it would have been better to disagree with the question. :( I agreed with it totally, I said there was tension in Summer Elegies (relationship with Cynthia ends, also references to colonisation), conflict in Omeros (conflict between Achille's illustrious heritage and the life he himself has as a fisherman), conflict in For Adrian (between Adrian's attitude to death and his family's attitude), and religious conflict in Saint Lucia's First Communion. Should that be ok?! :confused:

countdown also said 'poetry doesn't mean anything, it merely suggests'

so there are no right and wrong answers. i reckon you nailed it

Jello wrote: »
    The more I think about the unseen poetry the more I think I messed up. I more or less said I think her father is a bit of an eejit without knowing he has alzheimers. Oops.

:D

One of the funniest things I've read all day. Wouldn't worry about it, though. Even if it's not a great answer, it's only 20 marks, and you'll most likely pick up at least half.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Blue_Rose

The poetry questions were so hard! Especially Keats and Walcott the phrasing was terrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

pathway33 wrote: »
    countdown also said 'poetry doesn't mean anything, it merely suggests'

so there are no right and wrong answers. i reckon you nailed it

I agree here. As long as you can back up what your saying through quotes, you should be fine :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

How are people managing to have written 5, 6 and 7 pages for essays!? I wrote 3.75, 3.5 and 3 for my three essays (Ok I know 3 was quite short for a comparative but anyway) and I didn't think they were particularly short.... I always blamed it on my writing being small (about 10-12 words per line) but now I'm not so sure.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

How are people managing to have written 5, 6 and 7 pages for essays!? I wrote 3.75, 3.5 and 3 for my three essays (Ok I know 3 was quite short for a comparative but anyway) and I didn't think they were particularly short.... I always blamed it on my writing being small (about 10-12 words per line) but now I'm not so sure.... :(

At that rate, 3ish pages is closing in on the 1000 word mark, I'd say your fine.
    Obviously quality over quantity and all the jazz..

I know how you feel. Mine were roughly:

Macbeth - 5 and a bit
    Comparative - 4 and 1/2
    Unseen - 1 and 1/4
    Prescribed - 3

Actually, I think I wrote slightly more. I counted about 16 pages at the end, and I left very little space between questions. However, my writing is pretty big!

You'll be fine. There's a guy in my class who's writing is epicly small; for everyone 3 pages I'd write, he'd easily fit it into one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Did Ordinary level, wrote 4 pages, got pissed off and left at 11 o' clock. Hung around school until ten to 1 because I didn't want to show up at home almost 2 hours from the end of my exam :P.

Jesus, I did OL and I wrote 12 pages and a bit.

Delighted with OL, although I'd be happy with a C3. English isn't my strong point at all. Hate poetry, plays, books etc. :mad:

Advertisement